Saluting Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saluting Officers

When a soldier without arms, or with side arms only, meets an officer, he will continue to move on, but he is to raise his hand to his cap, looking at the same time in a respectful and soldier-like manner at the officer, who will make a suitable acknowledgment to the compliment just received.

-"Honors to be Paid by Soldiers" in Hardee's Infantry Tactics-
    When reporting the completion of an assigned task to the officer of the day at a recent event, I chanced to glance at the other privates as we saluted. Not being under arms, we brought our hands to our caps, as instructed by Mr. Hardee above. The manual, however, does not specify how the hand is to be held. In our little group, I saw some saluting in the modern fashion with palm more or less parallel with the ground. Others saluted in the old British naval tradition, palm perpendicular to the ground and turned towards the head. And others did likewise, but with their palm facing the officer.

Is there any evidence to suggest that one (or none, or all) of these methods of saluting was accepted historical practice? Period photographs of men saluting? References to the practice in other drill manuals?

Austin Williams
    Company E "The Emerald Guard"
    33rd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    Stonewall Brigade
    Capt. Austin J. Williams
    Company A "The Marion Rifles"
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    The Stonewall Brigade

Re: Saluting Officers

Austin,

From the US Regulations of 1861:

"256. When a soldier without arms, or with side-arms only, meets an officer, he is to raise his hand to the right side of the visor of his cap, palm to the front, elbow raised as high as the shoulder, looking at the same time in a respectful and soldier-like manner at the officer, who will return the compliment thus offered."

Hope this helps
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Hallo!

Might I suggest the SEARCH function, such as Herr Kevin's article:

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hey Curt,
        A use of the search function with "saluting officers" does not give that article in it. Something to keep in mind.
        Andrew Roscoe,
        The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
        24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Hallo!

Correct...

However, under the inquiry "saluting," Herr Kevin's honors paid link and article pops up five down the list.

Realizing that a key to using the SEARCH feature lies indeed in what search paramaters one enters, when I suggest the additional resources to be found in it, I make it easy by posting one direct link.
          Rather than some lads who like to just say "Use the Search function."

Curt
          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Gentlemen-

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for. I figured that our friends at the Colombia Rifles had done something like this, but a search using the term 'salute' didn't turn this article up. Palm to the front it is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Austin Williams
            Company E "The Emerald Guard"
            33rd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
            Stonewall Brigade
            Capt. Austin J. Williams
            Company A "The Marion Rifles"
            5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
            The Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Would I be correct that, in the case of a NCO leading a work detail, only said NCO would render the salute and report?

Same occurs when on detail and an officer passes by: only the ranking individual would render the salute, assuming he doesn't outrank the passing officer.
              Bernard Biederman
              30th OVI
              Co. B
              Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
              Outpost III

Comment

Sniper Check

Brett "Homer" Keen
                Chicago
                [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Hallo!

"Would I be correct that, in the case of a NCO leading a work detail, only said NCO would render the salute and report?

Same occurs when on detail and an officer passes by: only the ranking individual would render the salute, assuming he doesn't outrank the passing officer."

"Customs of Service..." page 23, (para. 52) states that a fatigue party does not have to stop working to salute a passing officer.

IMHO, that excludes the NCO in charge as well. However, that would be open to a different interpretation if the NCO is not working. ;)

The "detail" would be under arms for the ranking individual to salute.

(While modern references exempt courtesies from being extended on a picket line due possibly exposing officers to snipers, it appears not have been a Period concern as I am not aware of it appearing in any Period reference.)

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Officers being targeted wasn't a period concern? Especially 63' on?

Brett "Homer" Keen
                    Chicago
                    [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Hallo!

My point was not that officers were not sometimes targeted by sharpshooters, (or that some officers responded to the real or perceived threat by "subduing" their rank insignia)...

-but rather that it appears not to have gotten "official" notice or response widespread or sufficient enough to see a change in the "regulations" (or "customs of service") for "honors paid/saluting."

Curt

(IMHO, "sniping" being an interesting discussion all its own in that it has a "unique" relationship in the miltary in the 18th, 19th, and even most of the
                      20th century and only has been the last 20-some years where the modern day "sniper" or "scout/sniper" or "hunter/killer team" has been elevated beyond the old "held at arm's length" "necessary evil" love-hate relationship.)
                      Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                      X