Tea Rations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea Rations?

I am wondering about tea rations, i know that it was issued in 8 oz and that it was originally shipped in a hard brick like state. Since i am not a coffee drinker i am wondering how it was carried?, and how was it prepared? and is it correct for a Confederate impression?

With my compliments Gents

Tim Fretwell

Re: Tea Rations?

I found this with a simple google search on this site.

I went ahead and put everything above the source citation, since you might get something out of it.

By definition, a ration is the amount of food authorized for one soldier (or animal) for one day. The Confederate government adopted the official US Army ration at the start of the war, although by the spring of 1862 they had the reduce it. According to army regulations for camp rations, a Union soldier was entitled to receive daily 12 oz of pork or bacon or 1 lb. 4 oz of fresh or salt beef; 1 lb. 6 oz of soft bread or flour, 1 lb. of hard bread, or 1 lb. 4 oz of cornmeal. Per every 100 rations there was issued 1 peck of beans or peas; 10 lb. of rice or hominy; 10 lb. of green coffee, 8 lb. of roasted and ground coffee, or 1 lb. 8 oz of tea; 15 lb. of sugar; 1 lb. 4 oz of candles, 4 lb. of soap; 1 qt of molasses. In addition to or as substitutes for other items, desiccated vegetables, dried fruit, pickles, or pickled cabbage might be issued.
    The marching ration consisted of 1 lb. of hard bread, 3/4 lb. of salt pork or 1 1/4 lb. of fresh meat, plus the sugar, coffee, and salt. The ration lacked variety but in general the complaints about starvation by the older soldiers was largely exaggerated.
    Generally the Confederate ration, though smaller in quantity after the spring of 1862 and tending to substitute cornmeal for wheat flour, was little different. But the Confederate commissary system had problems keeping rations flowing to the troops at a steady rate, thus alternating between abundance and scarcity in its issuances. Soldiers of both armies relied to a great extent on food sent from home and on the ubiquitous Sutler.

Source: "The Civil War Dictionary" by Mark M. Boatner III

Hope this helps!
    Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
    Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
    Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
    Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
    Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
    sigpic

Comment

Tim, you may want to reexamine what you know about tea. I believe the whole tea brick idea was under some controversy.
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I stand corrected, thank you for the information gents.

With My Thanks

Tim Fretwell

Comment

Yes, I looked at a few diffrent sites and it didnt say anything about what kind of tea or how the tea was formed (brick, pouch, ect.), I just forgot to add it. The availability of tea was also something I could not find, and if tea even reached soldiers.
          Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

I'm posting for my wife, Virginia, on the availability of brick tea since she isn't home this evening.

She has a file on tea that is 8 inches thick. In her years of research on tea, she has not found any documentation for brick tea being sold in the United States or Great Britain during the civil war period (it was used in Mongolia and parts of eastern Russia). Despite secondary references, including some modern recommendations, she has found the primary documentation to be completely lacking. There is no mention of brick tea in newspaper ads or descriptions of how to prepare it in any cook books. So, if you purchased a tea brick, use it to pound tent stakes or some other similar use but please keep it out of view of spectators. Brick tea has become like underground railroad quilts, i.e., something quaint or unusual that we want to believe is period.

And while you're throwing the brick tea in the trash, toss the Earl Grey in there with it unless you can find other documentation than just the story printed on the back of the box.

Michael Mescher
            Virginia Mescher
            vmescher@vt.edu
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Agree, the evidence is lacking for those little black tea bricks with chinesey symbols stamped in them...if that is what is meant by "tea bricks." I always thought it could mean something else. Who knows? As far as Earl Grey tea. The issue being the use of bergamot in the Earl Grey tea blend, right? Which if carried loose leaf in my poke bag to infuse in my tin can boiler, as I like to do...what possible difference would it make? It looks like every other black tea to me. Is there an analysis booth at event check-in where the civilians test the tea for bergamot? Or isn't that as bad as using tap water to brew it? Where will I find natural spring water pumped out of the ground ala 19th century that isn't bottled? OK, that's a nice detail to note, but who in their right mind could tell the difference?

As far as the right tea--if you care and I don't-- the green gunpowder teas are pretty cool, and there are tons of period references to those.
              Last edited by ; 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Actually Hunter, the issue isn't so much which tea a person should carry in their poke sack, but in researching what they actually had back then. The goal ought to be to find out as much information as we can then make an informed decision on whether to compromise despite that knowledge or not.

Saying it is a small matter that makes no visible difference when folks are playing history doesn't diminish the value of further research and investigation in the least. For many here the focus is to find out what they did back then, the fact that that research can impact how people choose to depict history is only bonus.

I don't think anyone was attacking your personal choices about what you put in your poke sack. After all, it is a seemingly small matter and the only one who'd likely know if you were "farbing out" or not, would be you.
                Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Tim,

If you really need tea instead of just water the whole event, try finding some green pine needles where your at, if there are any. I dont have any concrete documentation relating to the Civil War, but the author of this article claims its been around since the 19th century. So, it might not be a bad alternative with many healthful benefits and with more research, something you might be able to use.
                  Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lojafan View Post
                    Tim,

If you really need tea instead of just water the whole event, try finding some green pine needles where your at, if there are any. I dont have any concrete documentation relating to the Civil War, but the author of this article claims its been around since the 19th century. So, it might not be a bad alternative with many healthful benefits and with more research, something you might be able to use.
                    See this link:
                    Bubble tea, which is also sometimes called boba tea, is a variety of sweetened tea that includes tapioca pearls. Bubble tea can be made with a variety of different teas and is often, but not always, made with fruit or fruit flavoring. The drink originated in Taiwan in the 1980s and has since spread ...

Note the warnings.
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Andrew

The pine needle tea is intriguing, i think I will try this recipe out before i venture into the field.

My Compliments

Tim Fretwell

Comment

We do an annual living history at a location where mint grows abundantly, and we make mint tea. It's refreshing on a hot day.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Ron,

My parents have a patch of mint in the side yard and I pick some every year and dry it. I crumble the dry mint leaves into my loose leaf black tea before heading out to an event. I makes the best tea, regardless of the weather.
                          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Tim,

I've seen it on survivorman a few times and he says its good, so I guess it cant be all that bad.

Ron also makes a good point about mint tea. I've had it before as well and it is refreshing.
                            Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

I have not seen a specific mention of brick tea, but like references earlier, the idea that tea clould be substituted for coffee...Also, in the medical supplies, black eta is listed,and it is loose tea, as described.

Pete Bedrossian
                              150th NY
                              [FONT="Georgia"]
                              Pete Bedrossian
                              150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
                              [/FONT
                              ]

Comment

Working...
                              X