Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid Question

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]It's difficult to generalize about an item of which so few originals survive of the many produced -- if you figure that the U.S. Army produced more than a billion cartridges during the war (I believe I got this from the end of war returns in Series III, Volume V of the ORs), then there ought to have been a million packing boxes produced by the various arsenals from ca. 1860 to 1865. I doubt that a statistically valid sample survive.
    Mike is correct. Very few of the wood packing boxes for small arms ammunition survived. On the other hand, because they were so common during the War, many of them show up in photos. Of course, the problem with photos, is they usually only show one face of the packing box and even with high resolution, you often can't make out the stencils. There is a problem with even those few surviving boxes, almost none of them still have their tops, Some arsenals stenciled their name on the side of the box, while others didn't. Without a top, there's no way to know which arsenal produced those unmarked boxes. One exception is a Watervliet box at the National Museum in Gettysburg. This box had leather hinges added and was used for storage.

At some point, during the War, the Richmond Arsenal started packing their ammunition in a different box. It was more narrow and taller than the QM specs called for. My guess, the change was made to make better use of the available lumber.

I'm waiting to hear from the Watervliet Arsenal about the U.S.B. stencil.
    Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Great stuff, gents. As regards my previous comment, please note that it was phrased as a question, which was based only on observations of those particular reproduction boxes from the few different arsenals- even assuming they were correct. I am by no means arguing for or against, or making blanket statements. I learned a long time ago to "never say never" in this hobby!

Waiting eagerly to hear what U.S.B. denotes......

Rich Croxton
      Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Brandon,

In regard to using the term "ball" ammunition. This is what's stenciled on the Watervliet Cartridge Box at the Museum in Gettysburg:

1000 BALL
        CARTRIDGES
        (handle)
        MUSKET or RIFLE
        CAL. .57

Inside the top was stenciled;

Watervliet
        Arsenal
        Feb. 1862

Comment

Well,

I talked to the Curator at the Watervliet Arsenal Museum today. He didn't have a clue what "U.S.B." means either. I have sent him a photo of the Cartridge Box in question. He promised to put my question in his research request file. I should hear something in three or four months.

Looks like I'll be taking a trip up the Hudson River! The Curator said they have a small arms cartridge box, with rope handles, in their collection. That, I've got to see!

Comment

Wow, Bill. Looks like this "stupid question" may end up on Jeopardy! :D

Rich Croxton
            Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Well,

I talked to the Curator at the Watervliet Arsenal Museum today. He didn't have a clue what "U.S.B." means either. I have sent him a photo of the Cartridge Box in question. He promised to put my question in his research request file. I should hear something in three or four months.

Looks like I'll be taking a trip up the Hudson River! The Curator said they have a small arms cartridge box, with rope handles, in their collection. That, I've got to see!
              Well Bill if you're coming up the museum won't take that long (it's small) plan on stopping in at the NYS Military Museum in Saratoga Springs. Some pretty nice CW stuff on display there too.

And I can take you to see General Thomas's grave and a few others.

Let me know.
              Bob Sandusky
              Co C 125th NYSVI
              Esperance, NY

Comment

Working...
              X