Shelter Halfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelter Halfs

This was from a PM that I sent to Paul C. last night and was wondering if I could generate some feedback from others too. Thanks guys!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by world_warrior
    Hey Paul,

I know you're busy and I hate to bother you with what is probably an easy question for you, but I have decided to put a tourniquet on my reenacting spending as far as buying crap stuff. As per your suggestion, I am saving up to 'do it right' from here on out. Then I will improve upon items that I already purchased in haste. Items that might not be AS accurate as they can be.

That being said, I have seen shelter halves with both hand-sewn grommets and brass grommets. My question is, did brass grommets on Shelter Halves even happen during the war or is it a modernism? Because if that is the case, I am planning on getting the haversack depot's 3pc shelter kit and doing my own grommets with a buttonhole stitch with which I am very familiar. I saw on the Tarwater's website that you guys even avoid shleter halves, but was hoping that maybe you could give me some insight either way. I am very open-minded and would love to hear your thought on shelter, especially since it's April in Ohio and I'm watching it snow. Ugh!

Thanks in advance,
    RJ Basista
    4 OVI
    Co E
    Wooster/ Wayne County, Ohio
    Robert 'RJ' Basista
    Musician
    Iron Brigade/ 19th IND/ Co.E
    The Killbuck OMG Watamess Mess

Re: Shelter Halfs

Friend- every good federal private should have a shelter half, after all you were issued one at some point. While a lot of fellows don't carry them on/to 'campaign' events unless bad weather is expected, you'll almost always find a few popping up in the evening. Additionaly, we do many LH type events where shelter halfs are used as well as at non-movement immersion events.
    Additionaly, having two shelter halfs gives you a lot of flexibilty when choosing to attend mainstream type events.
    Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

RJ,

First welcome to the world of authentic reeancting, and kudos to you on working to improve your impression! We all started somewhere. No one I know in this hobby was an out of the box campaigner. As far as not carrying a shelter half, it is my opinion after much reading that this is a bit of a reenacterism, and unfortunately it has even been perpetuated in campaigning. Though initially shelter halfs were maligned by the troops. They quickly realized the value of this piece of equipment. It is light, quick to set up and easy to carry. When the time period allows it my pards and I almost always have one rolled up with our blanket. I can even think of some warm camapaign events when I carried a shelter half and rubber blanket in lieu of a blanket. Good luck!
      Sincerely,

John Walsh
      Furious Five Mess:baring_te

Comment

Hallo!

"That being said, I have seen shelter halves with both hand-sewn grommets and brass grommets. My question is, did brass grommets on Shelter Halves even happen during the war or is it a modernism?"

In brief and to over-generalize...

Grommets and slots were sewn/worked with heavy thread.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Wow! Excellent feedback you guys, I really appreciate it. My eye for authenticity and how to reenact properly had improved over the years. I am 31 now and have been reenacting since 16 though not Civil War. I put in a stint as a Colonial Williamsburg employee for approx. 2 years and it was while living in Virginia that I got introduced to doing Civil War.

I think you are right, none of us are 'out of the box' authentic and goodness know I have put in my time being not as authentic as I could be. I'm not looking to become one of those guys who makes it a point to out of his way to tell others what they're doing/ have is wrong, I just want to influence others' desire for authenticity by example. You guys have been at a level of authenticity I hope to reach a lot longer than I have and figured the only way to get where I want to be is ask questions, so I am.

PLEASE HELP ME AND KEEP THE RESPONSES COMING! Very motivating!

RJ
          Robert 'RJ' Basista
          Musician
          Iron Brigade/ 19th IND/ Co.E
          The Killbuck OMG Watamess Mess

Comment

No brass grommets, and when you get the tent (or tents) no end flaps or pieces.
            S.Sullivan

Comment

Welcome to the Authentic Campaigner, Robert! Simply put, you should have yourself a quality shelter half, preferably early to mid-war in order to accommodate most event scenarios (I can help you obtain one if you're in the market). Please contact me off the forum for information on the correct construction and detailing of a properly represented shelter half.

That said, owning one and having one in the field is just as an important as it is practical when considering your authentic impression (especially for Federals). Even if you're sleeping directly under the stars, there are countless diary and journal entries that span all four years of the conflict that describe the use of shelter halves as make-shift sleeping bags and/or blankets; don't just see your half as a "tent" because it isn't. It is a crucial part of your kit and should be revered as such. Many soldiers swore by their halves and the documentation is abundant. While you're at it, a quality rubber blanket would benefit you too (I can help you obtain one of those as well).

Again, glad to have you as a member and perhaps I'll hear from you soon!

Comment

Here's a link for moreinfo on shelter halves.

Then check out the articles section.

Brian Baird

Comment

Pards does anyone recall a book that specifically speaks to the shelter half? I can't remember what it was and it's driving me crazy! That book may help RJ. As I remember it was a short book, but overall pretty decent! I beleive it contained photos and drawings. RJ, as I side note I would recommend The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium as a great starting point for your reading/research if you do not have it already. I think copies are still available. Even as a "Western Man" I must bow to the hard work and how well these guys did putting this together!
                  Sincerely,

John Walsh

Comment

Outstanding Bryan! Well said!
                    Sincerely,

John Walsh

Comment

You'd be looking for The Federal Civil War Shelter Tent by Frederick Gaede. Outstanding resource.

Good luck!

Ron Myzie

Comment

Thanks Ron! That was driving me nuts!
                        Sincerely,

John Walsh

Comment

John,
                          The book is by Fred Gaede, called Federal Shelter Halves I believe, and available in paperback through Amazon and other outlets.
                          S. Sullivan
                          (who supplied #31 tent to the book.)

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
                            Who supplied #31 tent to the book.
                            Well what do ya know...

Comment

There is good mention to the Shelter Half in Hardtack & Coffee: The Unwritten Story of Army Life by John D. Billings. A book of which most of us are extremely familiar :)

Kyle Duncan

Comment

Working...
                              X