Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the common style of braces?

Hello Everyone,
    I was doing some research to try to find what the common style of braces worn by the common soldier might have been. If I would have to be specific I would say what were the common style of braces worn by common Union soldiers from Ohio. I have read the thread Did You Know They Wore Braces in the 1860s! by Aaron Young located at http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ead.php?t=8278 but it didn't quite mention what the most popular style of braces were. I am aware that the farm boy style was common, with no prongs the buttonhole sewn into the strap, but not sure if it was the most popular. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. Thank you.
    Kyle Yoho
    91st OVI, Co.B

Re: What's the common style of braces?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Kyle Yoho
    91st OVI, Co.B

Comment

Try this for an example of Ohio braces.

Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks Jim that is a very intersting site.

Kyle Yoho
        91st OVI, Co.B

Comment

I would say that the most common style of braces would have been made of webbing or cloth with a canvas backing with leather tabs or button holes sewn in the back and leather or cloth risers in the front.Also,for those who could afford them and could get there hands on a pair,the braces with the elastic fiber in the back would also have been popular.I have also seen evidence of stolen gentlemens braces.You would have found many styles in the ranks,but the first one mentioned here would probably have been the most prevalent.Just my 0.02.
          Shawn Sturgill
          Governor Guards
          SCAR

Comment

Evening,

There is a great article on braces in the original Columbia Rifles Research Compendium. Great resource all round if you don't have it. No idea on the availability of copies now.

My feeling is that the most popular varied from soldier to soldier, though I'm an advocate of any pair of braces that won't pop my buttons and ride comfortably, factors I'm sure played a part in what may have been popular back then as well. Many photos I have seen do show the leather tabs and webbing, some times adjustable, as you'll see in the Compendium.

Best Regards,
            Husband to an Ohioan :)
            [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

As a side note on trouser buttons.

A common artifact found at 1850s mining sites here in California are patented buttons stamped "Warranted Not To Cut." The holes in the buttons are designed not to cut the threads attaching them to the trousers. A friend of mine has recovered many of these, he put a full set on a pair a cotton jean trousers he wears at our living history events and has never popped one of them off.
              Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

The holes in the buttons are designed not to cut the threads attaching them to the trousers.
                Is there a way you could post an image of one of these buttons? Wonder if they were patented. Got some pretty cool patents on a disc around here that has real early 'bachelor' type buttons being patented. Yes, and they were well before the war period, but that in no way means they were made or used although I would not rule them out.
                Clark Badgett
                [url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member14302.png[/img][/url]

Comment

If only the "Warranted Not to Cut" type were standard on Federal issue trousers, would've been swell for them and ultimately us! :) Cool stuff.
                  [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

The best thing to do is look through some of the photographic books on the war. I got fascinated with this subject some years ago and always look at pictures of the soldiers with jackets either off or pulled back. You would be amazed at the different styles they wore. Also the many belts and no belts or braces worn. That would be the best way to answer your question. Hope that helps.
                    Timothy J. Koehn
                    Boone's Louisiana Battery
                    Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                    http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X