Flatware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatware

I am watching an auction that ends this evening. What are the opinions of 4 vs. 3 tined forks? I realize 4 tined forks are probably a more recent trend, but were they around in the 60's? Even through private ownership. Like would it be acceptable to say that I brought them from home or possibly 'acquired' them along the way? Just wondering. Any input would be helpful. Auction ends around 1930EST. Thanks!

RJ
    -Apparently the eternal FNG
    Robert 'RJ' Basista
    Musician
    Iron Brigade/ 19th IND/ Co.E
    The Killbuck OMG Watamess Mess

Re: Flatware

Originally posted by world_warrior View Post
    I am watching an auction that ends this evening. What are the opinions of 4 vs. 3 tined forks? I realize 4 tined forks are probably a more recent trend, but were they around in the 60's? Even through private ownership. Like would it be acceptable to say that I brought them from home or possibly 'acquired' them along the way? Just wondering. Any input would be helpful. Auction ends around 1930EST. Thanks!

RJ
    -Apparently the eternal FNG
    Sorry this is so late. I just saw the thread tonight.

I looked in my copy of the Catalogue of American Hardware of the Russell and Erwin Manufacturing Company (1865) and found illustrations of flatware. The silver plated forks in plain and fancy patters were four tined. The steel forks with wood, pearl, ivory, ebony, horn, bone and cocoa[nut hull] handles had three tines. I checked my photos of both the Steamboats Arabia and Bertrand and the ones shown there were the steel knives and forks (three tined) with wooden handles. I may have missed some or not everything may have been on display.

In short, yes, they did have both three and four tined forks.
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Here's the link for the auction:

I think these are ok but for 5 bucks can you go wrong even if they're not?

RJ
      Robert 'RJ' Basista
      Musician

Comment

I don't think you could go wrong with this set at that price. The only concerns would be maybe whether they're plated or not(?), or any unseen "modern"(post 1860's)markings. Check Echoes of Glory, I think it's the Federal volume(mines loaned out right now). If I'm not mistaken there are some pictures of officers mess kit with 4 tined forks. I do get the idea that proper 4 tined flatware would have been more prevalent in the middle-upper classes. But that's just my opinion. When I buy flatware at second hand shops, especially spoons, I try to find the "fiddle back" design, unplated, without modern markings.

D.W. Scalf
        D.W.(Trace)Scalf
        19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
        [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
        George Santayana

Comment

I decided to let someone else have the 4-tined set and look for a 3-tined set instead. HOWEVER, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEING CIVIL WAR ERA?

Just wondering. You never know what you'll find on Ebay.

RJ
          Robert 'RJ' Basista
          Musician

Comment

Antique stores have a lot to choose from in 19th century flatware for pretty reasonable prices. In many instances soldiers brought utensils from home so there was a huge mix and match of 3 and 4 tined forks and even some 2 tined and a variety of spoons and knives as well. Your best bet is to look in the library and you will find a ton of civil war books with pictures of actual utencils to compare. Hope this helps
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by world_warrior View Post
              I decided to let someone else have the 4-tined set and look for a 3-tined set instead. HOWEVER, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEING CIVIL WAR ERA?

Just wondering. You never know what you'll find on Ebay.

RJ
              You might want to check out ebay item number 280331743825. They look more like what I've seen in collections and publications of the time period.
              Virginia Mescher
              vmescher@vt.edu
              http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Thank you Virginia I've put it in my watch list. I know Universal was a manufacturer of flatware during the Civil War, but I am not familiar with the design of this interlocking knife and fork set. You have to admit, it would be practical if riding around in a haversack or knapsack. I'll watch it but do believe I'm going to in the direction of your suggestions.

Appreciate the help, keep me informed if you see anything else by PM.

RJ
                Robert 'RJ' Basista
                Musician

Comment

Four tines have been around a long time... I mean a LONG time. We recently had an exhibit all about flatware from the late 1500s till 2005, titled "Feeding Desire". Very cool stuff. A whole section was dedicated to "on the go" flatware that folded, interlocked, had little cases etc. Here is the exhibit catalogue on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Feeding-Desire...9377230&sr=1-1 Don't write it off as all fancy stuff either, the exhibit had it all. I saw 4 tine from back in the 1600s.

Of course there is this question: "Ok, so there were four tine, but how likely were they to be manufactured by a company in the US durin ghte mid-19th century?" never say never.

Best,
                  [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Greetings,
                    I have a civilian pattern four tine fork in my collection that was picked up off the battlefield of Richmond, Kentucky by a Federal Soldier as a war trophy.

Darrek Orwig

Comment

Working...
                    X