Tapestry and its usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapestry and its usage

Does anyone know of primary sources confirming the usage of tapestry "carpetbag" type haversacks? If so, has anyone seen these used after 1862, when most haversacks that were created for volunteers during the early months of war would likely be replaced? In the Echoes of Glory - Confederacy book they only picture haversacks made from ticking, which I am getting the feeling is more correct. From a realist point of view, why would a family cut up an expensive piece of tapestry cloth to make a haversack if it could be made with cheaper ticking material?
    I may be wrong, but based on both EOG and a multitude of period photographs, it seems as though these tapestry bags are something created for sale in the 21st Century (no offense to those who use or sell them, again I may be completely wrong in this assumption). If anyone can reference anything, I would really appreciate it. The reason I ask is that I am in the beginning stages of research for constructing a new haversack for my own impression.
    Regards,
    David Kloos

G-G-G Grandson of Johnathon Brown, NY Cavalry, USCW Veteran. Further research in progress.

Re: Tapestry and its usage

Originally posted by Progressive88 View Post
    Does anyone know of primary sources confirming the usage of tapestry "carpetbag" type haversacks? If so, has anyone seen these used after 1862, when most haversacks that were created for volunteers during the early months of war would likely be replaced? In the Echoes of Glory - Confederacy book they only picture haversacks made from ticking, which I am getting the feeling is more correct. From a realist point of view, why would a family cut up an expensive piece of tapestry cloth to make a haversack if it could be made with cheaper ticking material?
    I may be wrong, but based on both EOG and a multitude of period photographs, it seems as though these tapestry bags are something created for sale in the 21st Century (no offense to those who use or sell them, again I may be completely wrong in this assumption). If anyone can reference anything, I would really appreciate it. The reason I ask is that I am in the beginning stages of research for constructing a new haversack for my own impression.
    In the ledgers I transcribed and put on CD (Historic Accounts) the store owner in Indiana purchased 12 tapestry satchels for $9. There were no other descriptions available so these could have been large satchels or smaller haversack bags. He also purchased Brussels carpetbags, and felt satchels.

I believe at one time the Valentine Museum in Richmond had a haversack like bag made of tapestry but I don't know the date of the bag or the construction details. Maybe someone knows more about the Valentine bag.
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Re: Tapestry and its usage

I do NOT have documentation for this, but it would be possible to make something as small as a carpetbag from the less worn parts of older tapestry cloth. Like their modern counterparts, the period rugs, draperies, etc. I've seen have traffic wear, sun damage, etc. in some areas and not others, leaving pieces of good usable fabric which until recently would have been salvaged and repurposed. I've been reading through some old Godey's in which housewives are urged to salvage trimming from coats into coatees for children; this may be worth a closer look.
      Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
      X