Period Stencil and Lettering Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Stencil and Lettering Source?

I am working on a a 19th-century recruiting/patriotic banner.

Since this banner has lettering on it---and I dont trust my unsteady hand or inkmanship---I am in need of a period stencil.

Is there a source for these? Anyone have experience with this? Recommendations?
    Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
    1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Re: Period Stencil and Lettering Source?

This may not help you at all, but I'm sure there were a number of different stencils used and even if you can get one, it might not work for the font or size of lettering you had in mind. A few years back when I wanted to duplicate a stencil used on a field desk, I xeroxed the picture with the stencilled inscription, blew it up, transferred the outline of the letters to the desk with a sheet of carbon paper, then painted the letters in with lamp black (oil paint). It was actually easier than cutting the image out in cardboard or some other material for a real stencil. If you don't get a better answer from someone else, you might try something along the same lines.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Do a forum search for "stencils". You will get more threads than you care to read but somewhere in the mix is the information you seek.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

They were good and quite used to hand-lettering signs in those days......warts and all. In other words, don't rule out a hand-lettered job, it just may be the more authentic way to go.
        Jeff Lawson
        2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

Working...
        X