boiled linseed oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boiled linseed oil question

Before anyone starts hollering, I read up in the search/research. That did not answer my question.

One day last month I decided to make one of my groundcloths more water proof. ( It had a problem with water seeping through after a rain )
    I had two cans of boiled linseed oil which I proceeded to paint onto my cloth. No, I did not have any Japan Dryer,or Dry,whatever you call it, I just had boiled linseed oil, a brush, and nothing else to do.
    I painted the cloth and hung it outside for three weeks,with the exception of the series of storms that came through our area, I place it in my shop hanging from the rafters during that time. I then folded the cloth and put it in an old ice chest and left it in the sun for two days. I laid it on my driveway today and let the water constantly flow on the cloth, I found that I have solved one of my problems of seepage.
    I too read the reports of fires starting from the supplies of items being the cause of fires while stored. When is it safe to store my ground cloth? Is three weeks enough? I usually fold them up, and place them on a corner shelf in my shop. There is not a lot of air circulation in the shop when closed up, and in the summer months when I am not in there, the a/c is off. This is where I keep all of my gear, uniforms, tents, and everything else pertaining to this hobby. So I want to be sure nothing is going to happen when I put this groundcloth in my shop. After three weeks in the sun and folded in an ice chest for two days, Would it be safe to put it up when not in use?

I figured that someone that does, or has done groundcloths would give me some good advice.

O.....by the way I would like to do another one, but this time, I will wait till July, it gets very hot and no rain here, and add that Japan Dry when I do it.
    Thanks
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: boiled linseed oil question

Hallo!

Without a drying agent to speed things along...

Linseed oil does not dry by evaporation, it dries by polymerization (in wbhich chains of molecules are formed). That process generates heat, that when in a confined and/or unventilated space can be sufficient to ignite.

Once the linseed has dried, that threat is gone.

HOWEVER, the treated object can be a source for fuel for a excessive heat, flame, or fire and of course burn up.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you.....That is all I needed to know. I feel better now knowing that I can put up my cloth after next week. I have a little event to go to then, it is over till Sept.
      [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Howdy P.L.

I have made 3 oil cloths, two for earlier periods, and a small black ground cloth for civil war. The first one I made, was made using boiled linseed oil only. The second, I used some paint thinner and japan dryer. And the third, i added black pigment.
        The first two that I made, literally fell apart. I tried unfolding them and they tore like thin paper. I now know, that modern boiled linseed oil is very acidic due to added chemicals. Folks on an earlier period forum suggest adding baking soda, or lime to the oil and boiling it down some more to neutralize the acid. Next cloth I make, I will do this.
        Marvin Boyce

Comment

Working...
        X