Manual by Coppee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual by Coppee

Has anybody ever heard of a manual by "Coppee"? An Antique dealer has an 1862 print of a manual; "Exercise and Maneuver in the School of the Battalion" by Cap. Henry Coppee. I thought I knew of most of the Civil War era instruction manuals, but this is one I have never heard of. The dealer wants $200 bucks for it, which I have no interest in paying, but I am intrigued by the fact that I have never come across this before. Any ideas?

Eric Hageman

Re: Manual by Coppee

Google Book Version

His brigade manual is still available as a reprint.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Yes,
      I have heard of it and have a copy myself. It really is alot like the others.
      Really just a rewrite with some changes.
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]
      [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
      106th Reg't PVI
      Co. G
      Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

To add to this, here are three sites I find useful on a regular basis:

[B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks for the links, Charles. The 1st & 3d ones I already have in my "faves" list. Just added the 2d.
          I don't just read the manuals. I try to use what they teach. I also try to use whatever cover I can to sheild the men. Even if the rest of the battalion is standing straight while in battle line, in the open, I will have my front rank kneel and have the rear rank kneel to load. Only rising to fire. I have read so many accounts of company commanders doing this... Being once a private, and an NCO, in the ranks I appreciated any effort my commanders made to shield me and my men.
          Am I wrong?:D
          Last edited by 106th PVI; 05-06-2009, 08:24 PM.
          [FONT="Times New Roman"]
          [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
          106th Reg't PVI
          Co. G
          Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Coppee's was used by Brig. Gen. John Gibbon when he studied infantry movements shortly after taking command of what became the Iron Brigade of the West in May 1862 outside Fredericksburg. He had overheard someone complaining he did not know infantry drill being an artillery battery officer.
            Lance Herdegen
            Lance Herdegen

Comment

Coppee is a good way to get a fuller understandign of the comamnds for laregr bodies of troops...There are two separate volumes both good, and as mentioned available in re-print.

Pete Bedrossian
              150th NY/3rd NC
              [FONT="Georgia"]
              Pete Bedrossian
              150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
              [/FONT
              ]

Comment

I have a copy of Coppee's and an original Scott's Vol III and I prefer Scotts because of the plates and explanation of the movements for the plates. Coppee's does have some minor differences and it does show a Brigade forming a battle line from a column of companies at closed in mass or half-distance. Scott's shows the movement ("Forward into Line") from full distances. I use Coppees on the field for a quick reference. I would love to have an orginal Coppee's to add to my collection but money is tight these days.
                Claude Sinclair
                Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Working...
                X