Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper Uniform While On Duty (Staff Officer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Uniform While On Duty (Staff Officer)

Gents,
    I will be performing staff officer duties from time to time for 2d Army Corp HQ. I have seen pics of, and read accounts from, staff officers in various dress. My question: Should I wear my dress coat or can I wear my officer sack. I will be portraying a regimental line officer on staff duty. These living histories will be at Gettysburg, Petersburg and other NPS sites.
    I have sky blue and dak blue trowsers as well as three different style shirts to wear ( grey flannel issue, civie and dress white officer). Brogans and officer boots. Maybe a better question would have been...
    What would be the proper uniform for a line officer performing staff duties at an Army Corps?

Thanks!
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]
    [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
    106th Reg't PVI
    Co. G
    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Re: Proper Uniform While On Duty (Staff Officer)

You should be able to find you answer here, in the 1861 Regulations - http://www.usregulars.com/Regulations%20Home.html
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Dean,

The regs are there as the target guideline, but also consider the scenario that you will portray. A line officer on campaign might not be able to get to his baggage to get his dress coat or a clean shirt. You may have to go "as is". If you are portraying a garrison and would have been there for more than a couple of days, I would expect you to show up as clean and shiney as possible.

Let the history and context guide you.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

I agree with Joe...Also consider some of the likeness taken of field grade officers and their staff officers. I have seen numerous examples of the staff offcies dressd well...but not in frocks. Commercial blouses can be seen in a number of Army of the Potomac images. (One of Burnside and his staff sticks out in my mind).

Pete Bedrossian
        150th NY/3rd NCT
        [FONT="Georgia"]
        Pete Bedrossian
        150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
        [/FONT
        ]

Comment

Pockets are your friend.

If this is a nonfunctional impression, then please disregard.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles,
            I suppose it will be mostly non-functional, as in, not actually running the army at a battle reenactment. It is living histories. Showing how a Corps commander's staff works. I will be working with Bruce Stocking ( General Hancock).
            When not with him I will be a normal line officer running my company....
            [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
            106th Reg't PVI
            Co. G
            Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

I agree with letting the circumstances dictate the mode of dress.

Also consider too, how a few staff officers will mimic some of the peculiarities and tastes of the general officer's they serve. The images of Burnside's staff with a number them wearing Burnside-style hats come to mind. Look at images of Hancock and his staff in the field and let that be your ultimate guide.

Paul McKee
              Paul McKee

Comment

I concur that the commander set the tone.
                A General like Hancock, who was noted for his turnout, would set a standard and his chief of staff would enforce it.
                Officers on duty and on attendance would be required to dress more formally depending on the style of the Commander.
                At hand is EOG and several pictures of staff officers are shown therein. A mix of frocks and sack coats are evident (senior officers tend to wear frocks).
                If you are the duty aide for a Meade, Burnside, Sedgewick or Grant have your sack coat and slouch hat ready.
                With Hancock the superb I would recommewnd your frock.
                In any case, clean linen and polshed boots seem to be de riguer.
                Just my thoughts as an adjutant and staff officer.

Erik Simundson
                Erik Simundson

Comment

Erik,
                  My boots are polished and my brass is shined. I know General Hancock wore a campaign hat. One that looked alot like the dress hat without any adornments. I have a plain dress hat. Just in case. But, my question here would be this: Since I am a line officer of the 106th Penna, an Eastern Theatre regiment, would I not just have my private purchase kepi?
                  And we will be setting up with minimal canvas... "A" frame tent for me with only my bedroll, mess kit and maybe a wooden cot. Plus my clothes, leathers and sword.
                  Last edited by 106th PVI; 05-12-2009, 07:49 PM.
                  [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                  106th Reg't PVI
                  Co. G
                  Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Well the million dollar question.
                    You are a company officer in the field with your Regiment. During a down time you are nomionated for a staff position ( good political, social, family connections).
                    You pack the kit you have and report for duty.
                    The Senior staf officer lays down the law and you obey by wearing your reulation kit or buying the correct things needed. You conform to the culture.
                    If you arrive with a regulation kepi you cannot go wrong. If the Chief of staff says "all staff will wear a slouch hat like the General", you buy one.
                    You would not be out of place with your Regimental regulation kit to begin with.
                    More important is your sense of loyalty to the General. You are a part of his command structure, commited to delivering his commands and the tone established by his style.
                    Your appearence must reflect credit on the General.
                    A message delivered by a staff officer wearing a kepi or slouch hat must be in the tone of the commander with due defference to the rank of the recipient. We are talking Military etiquette. Know you place and period manners wether you wear a kepi or hat.
                    Anyone aspiring to be an aide to a senior officer should read about Captain Nolan at the Charge of the Light Brigade, during the Crimean War, in order to learn how hubris and ego caused a disaster as a result of poor staff duties.
                    In this realm it is about the man not just the material.

Erik Simundson
                    Erik Simundson

Comment

Erik,
                      No ego here. I always do what is needed at an event.
                      I am researching pics of 2d Corps staff officers and will wear what is appropriate. I will probably wear my dress coat and dark blue trowsers while I am "on duty" and slip into my sack and sky blue pants in the evenings.
                      I just saw a well known pic of Hancock and his division commanders during the Wilderness Campaign. Gen'l Barlow seems to be wearing a single breasted jacket of some kind. Left wide open with no vest. He is sporting a "homespun" shirt as well. I guess generals can do anything, huh? :)
                      Last edited by 106th PVI; 05-13-2009, 08:55 PM.
                      [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                      106th Reg't PVI
                      Co. G
                      Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by 106th PVI View Post
                        I always do what is needed at an event.
                        The billion dollar question is what will the newly minted staff offer actually do, based on history, of course. This opens up some wonderful opportunties for research to dovetail with this living history.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles,
                          You have struck the right chord.
                          Here is this lucky fellow thrown into staff duties and the opportunity to be involved in great things. He can become part of the General's staff family and see the War in a different view and maybe even contribute something significant.
                          He could be a dealer in reports and returns so that the command eats and is clothed. He could be an officer who does topographic plans or one who assists in the tracings of works. At the very least a messenger to communicte orders.
                          He should read all of the Customs of the service and works by Parker and others about Grant's staff.
                          Too often this hobby is focussed on the number of bayonets on the ground or the glory of command, which of course is the start point. There are other facets which have to be delivered as impressions, among them staff duties.
                          First Sergeants, adjutants and the larger staffs.
                          I am glad to see these discussed.
                          Please come and see me at Mumford and have a chat. You shall find me next to Mike Lavis with the small table groaning with paperwork.

Erik Simundson
                          Erik Simundson

Comment

Erik,
                            Great information and thoughts. I too would like to see more staff positions properly portrayed. I have been a staff officer for 8 years, moving up the ranks to include my current position as topographic engineer. It is interesting to read the experiences from these men and how their day to day life was on the staff's.
                            Andre Wagner
                            Surgeon
                            147th Reg't PA Vol.

Comment

Guys,
                              I am reading through the pertinent manuals I own... Customs of Service, 1861 Regulations, Officer's Pocket Companion (Craighill), The Company Clerk, The Right Hand of Command...
                              Yes the big question is what will the General assign me to do? I won't know until I arrive at the event and meet with him. Maybe the experience I have gained on the march, in battle and in camp will be of value.
                              I will do my best and I will bring what I have learned and apply it to the best of my ability.
                              This discussion has been very worthwhile...
                              Thanks!
                              [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                              106th Reg't PVI
                              Co. G
                              Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X