beginner with questions about uniform materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner with questions about uniform materials

Hi. I am new to the reenacting hobby. I want to get good gear the first time around but am trying to do it on a very limited budget. With that in mind, I decided to try to make as much as possible. (My sister is an excellent seamstress and has agreed to help me with the sewing.) For now, my goal is to get outfitted as an "average" (if there is such a thing) confederate from the upstate of South Carolina; probably the son of a farmer of preacher.

The trousers that caught my eye were the cotton trousers on p.152 of Echoes of Glory especially as the cotton in those trousers was woven in Spartanburg, SC. My plan would be to make a pair of civilian pattern cotton trousers. Were most cotton trousers a jean weave like the pair in the book? Can anyone recommend venders who sell authentic trouser cotton? Is going with cotton trousers a good idea or should I avoid that and stick with wool or wool blend?

For a jacket, I was planning on a Richmond type II. Most of the stuff I've read on surviving Richmond II jackets say they were wool/cotton blend but don't specify the weave (jean/satinette/cassimere). From primary sources, what would be the best choices for fabric and color for a Richmond II? Or maybe another way to ask is, are there any types of fabric and colors I should avoid?

Thanks for your help. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Tyler D. Scott
    Last edited by Scotty017; 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM.
    Tyler D. Scott

Re: beginner with questions about uniform materials

Mr Sullivan at Stoney Brook; no better customer service and a pleasure to work with. Also make certain to browse the consignment section as there is often real quality merchandise. IIRC there was a pattern for the Richmond Depot jacket on one of the consignment pages; but I don't recall the maker.

Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty017 View Post

The trousers that caught my eye were the cotton trousers on p.152 of Echoes of Glory especially as the cotton in those trousers was woven in Spartanburg, SC. My plan would be to make a pair of civilian pattern cotton trousers. Were most cotton trousers a jean weave like the pair in the book? Can anyone recommend venders who sell authentic trouser cotton? Is going with cotton trousers a good idea or should I avoid that and stick with wool or wool blend?

Tyler D. Scott
      Cotton trousers in a twill weave are documented to a number of units at various points in the war.

But, as a personal opinion only, if you are looking for a particularly versitile garment, I'd opt for a more common fabric, such as wool jean (cotton or linen warp, wool weft) for a fabric that will hold up to wear better than cotton jean, and be more useful in the field. Last weekend illustrated that even during the 'campaign' months', a man can get quite cold and wet in short order--wool jean will be much more comfortable in that case.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Tyler,
        what unit are you with? Which South Carolina reg't are you portraying? The 7th SC would have a different look during the Overland campaign, than say the 20th who had spent time in Charleston before being called to Virginia.
        Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I'm in the 2nd South Carolina Rifles. They were in the Peninsular Campaign and other early battles. Then they missed Gettysburg while on garrison duty in Richmond. They went south with Longstreet but were too late for Chickamauga, and finished the war back in Virginia.

I guess to start, I'm looking for a mid-war impression.
          Tyler D. Scott

Comment

Tyler:

Asking advice on which uniform would be best for your impression could result in more opinions or advice than you would ever need and the confusion could give you a migraine headache. I would take the most practical approach and listen to Mrs. Lawson.

What sort of events do you plan to attend? There are literally hundreds of ACW reenactments each year where one could wear anything from the period, regardless of common usage to the Soldier. Most events supported by this forum, have certain standards.

If you plan on attending Campaigner events or Living History events, (sometimes referred to as EBUFU), I would examine the standards for the event and compare that to other events I plan to attend. I would start with the basics and build your kit up from that. What would I need the most of ? I would not tie myself down to one specialty impression for the beginner, I would go for the most common and the best value and then work toward more specialized stuff later. Lots of us have equipment, that we use often, sometimes and rarely. The EOG, Spartanburg cotton pants, to my knowledge have never been examined by a vendor or reproduced. I don't even know if the correct fabric is being reproduced. That's a lot of work just for a pair of trousers!

Look at the Confederate trouser standards for Bummers:

TROUSERS: Citizen-Style Preferred. Wool or Cotton Jean Cloth, Citizen Overalls Also Accepted. (Proper Wear)
            I would work toward constructing or buying those trousers. Some of the Vendors sell pre-cut kits, patterns, finished and semi-finished products. Once acquired, those Citizen style pants will you serve you for years in many other events until they wear out. SC soldiers would have worn them and some case preferred home made goods to the government issued clothing. Not to say that Army issue was never seen but, civilian clothing was common throughout the Confederate Army.
            It's versatile.

LBL event for March, 2010 :

Trousers: Civilian pattern

CS Military Pattern
            Again Civilian pattern is the first choice, CS military second. So if I were attending both events ( I am) the preferred choice would be the Civilian pattern.
            Now I just need a set that is well made and constructed properly. That's the part you need to study.

Some guys recommend putting together a good Federal kit first, then working toward more Confederate and Citizen gear but, that's your decision.

I would just use good judgment in buying quality gear that would allow me to start off the right way with the Ebufu events. Once you quit worrying about the gear, you can work on field and soldier skills and start to enjoy those events. It shouldn't stop your research, but sometimes the desire to obtain the most accurate museum gear becomes a roadblock and a serious show stopper to attending the good events.

I hope to see you out there. Send me a message sometime.
            Gregory Deese
            Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
            "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Working...
            X