Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Fabric Is This?

Gents,
    I have long been curious as to what fabric is used in General Sherman's vest. He is always in a white vest with either black or dark blue piping. Plus, it seems to be cut in a civillian style rather than military. Is it English broadcloth?
    I have been piecing together a kit over the years as I get funds to do so.
    From time to time I scruff up my beard and portray my ancestor.
    Thank you all for your input and patience with this old pain in the tuckus. :D
    Last edited by 106th PVI; 05-19-2009, 06:05 AM.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]
    [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
    106th Reg't PVI
    Co. G
    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Re: What Fabric Is This?

Sorry Fellas,
    Forgot to insert pic for your perusal convenience.
    Attached Files
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
    106th Reg't PVI
    Co. G
    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Going solely from a photo, it will be difficult (if not impossible) to give a definitive answer to your question. However, if there is a high-resolution version of that photo available, you might post a link to it. Is it from the LoC site?
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,
        No, the photo is from an independant site. If you have; or can gain access to the book, " Sherman's March" by Burke Davis, there is a very clear colorized reprint of this pic on the cover. But, the color of the vest is PINK in this reprint. I highly doubt he would wear a pink vest!
        Here is the link to the site...
        [url]www.sonofthesouth.net
        Last edited by 106th PVI; 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM.
        [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
        106th Reg't PVI
        Co. G
        Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

There are 8 - 10 versions of this pic on the LoC site. He must have spent most of an afternoon getting his image struck! Here are but a few...

Here is a mid-level resolution peak:

I'll have to wait to look at the "highest" resolution versions. However, a quick peak reveals that he is NOT wearing a blue-trimmed vest, but rather a cord of some sort around his neck. The vest must be white or very light and appears to be double breasted with self-covered buttons. Could be some sort of silk fabric, but will need to wait until I can look at the uber-resolution version.

Enjoy!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger

Comment

This view would appear to show a single breasted vest with brass buttons... it is really tough to tell here!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Thanks John!
              I tried to go on to the LoC site but it is rather hard to locate things. At least for me.
              It is not imperative that I obtain a repro of this vest. He wore a normal military style, blue broadcloth vest as well. I have a repro of this garment already.
              Gee, grandpa doesn't scowl so much in the one pic...:D
              [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
              106th Reg't PVI
              Co. G
              Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Well, any ideas what that cord may be tied to?
                Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post
                  Well, any ideas what that cord may be tied to?
                  I'm guessing reading glasses.

Edited to add, there's a Brady portrait of Alexander Stevens that shows a similar cord, and the glasses are clearly visible.

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@voyager.net
                  Last edited by Hank Trent; 05-19-2009, 10:46 AM.
                  Hank Trent

Comment

John,

Those are two separate images of the same sitting. The cord could also be to a watch. That would explain when Sherman thought it was time to burn a Widow's house down, kill livestock, or rob somebody of their belongings.:sarcastic

Mark Berrier
                    North State Rifles
                    northstaterifles.com
                    Mark Berrier

Comment

The cord is most likely tethered to Sherman's iPOD, that, or a Sony walkman with a cassette of Gordon Lightfoot's greatest hits.
                      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                        The cord is most likely tethered to Sherman's iPOD, that, or a Sony walkman with a cassette of Gordon Lightfoot's greatest hits.
                        Fred,
                        I soooo wanted to go there, but resisted. :wink_smil

Cheers!
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                          He likely hid it in his waistcoat pocket because there's a "Rebel Flag" faceplate cover on it, too.
                          Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

I thought the cord was attached to his reporter "whack- bonk". :D He loathed newspapermen so much he probably had one close by...
                            Last edited by 106th PVI; 05-19-2009, 04:53 PM.
                            [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                            106th Reg't PVI
                            Co. G
                            Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Dennis said "I thought the cord was attached to his reporter "whack- bonk". He loathed newspapermen so much he probably had one close by... "

Not to hi-jack the thread but one of my favorite quotes is from "Uncle Billy". It is in my signature.

"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."

He said this on his march from Atlanta to Savannah. Apparrently 3 (if not more) newspaper reporters from Atlanta had followed the Union troops to report on them. At some point it was reported that they had been caught by the Rebels and executed. Upon hearing the report he was quoted as saying it. The report turned out to be false.

As a side bar no reporters got to file any stories due to no post, telegragh or way to communicate with the outside world while marching thru rural Georgia. All the civilian telegragh wires were destroyed during the march.

I have my own reasons for the same feelings about the media. One of the same is operational security. I have no problems w/reporters being there to report the troops goings on even no censoring but the release date leaves a lot to be desired, minimum 1 week later date should be incorporated. this way the Gov't has time to notify next of kin and keep troops safe from leaks of who, what, when, and where they are doing it. Another is they don't know when to leave well enough alone.
                              Last edited by Prodical Reb; 05-20-2009, 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling corection
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X