Officer Footwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Footwear

Besides boots, what would be good footwear options for my officer impression? I have studied pics and believe I have seen Jefferson Booties, low cut brogans and different styles of boots. Dirty Billy offers a "Spencer Tie Shoe"... anyone seen these?
    As of now I have a pair of cav boots and a pair of jefferson booties...

Thanks.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]
    [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
    106th Reg't PVI
    Co. G
    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Re: Officer Footwear

To me,a pair of good civie shoes would work.Since they are providing their own uniforms,I'd say many would simply go with something that is comfortable as well as easy to obtain.Plue,a good pair of civie shoes can give that touch of flash that many an officer seeked.But my main thing is that they are underrated amongest officers.
    Just my .02 cents.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Besides boots and brogans, I use a "Congress Shoe", as pictured on the Robert Land site.
      Best Regards,

Jim Mitchum

Hamptons Legion, Co. G., Claremont Rifles
      Winstontown

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum". ... James Petigru describing his native state in 1860

Comment

The default choice should probably be what the Regulations prescribed:

"BOOTS

1497. For all officers-ankle or Jefferson"

Beyond that, you would want to look at photographs and read journals relevant to your portrayal. Are you foot or mounted? On campaign or in winter quarters? You know, the usual questions.

While I think you can find photos of civilian shoes on officers off duty, if you plan to do any walking, you might want to rethink that.

What you have sounds good though, again, the cavalry boots are for riding, not walking.

There was an interesting article published in The Galaxy after the war by an infantry officer who did some walking, which I recommend every chance I get. It's by J. W. DeForest, and it's called "Forced Marches": http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-b...CB8727-0005-93

As you can imagine, it says a few things about your feet.
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I wear the 1850 Georgian made by Robert Land. I even wear them to work and funerals. Just a damn good comfortable shoe. It was ironic that I was wearing them in town one day and an old man stopped me and looked at them and said, "They just don't make shoes like that anymore, where did you get them?". Some reenactors will look at them and say, "I didn't know that you could wear modern dress shoes at reenactments". Anyway, I must have ran and marched about 3 miles in them during Saturday at Resaca.
          Claude Sinclair
          Palmetto Battalion

Comment

The regs call for the Jefferson or ankle boottee...and there are images of officers (e.g. compnay grade, and on foot) wearing them. Civilian shoes aer O.K., but won;t take the beating a good pair of brogans will... BUT if you are in a fixed camp/garrison, (or photogrpahers studio!) you could easily buy the Spencer tie shoe (Available from Mattimore Harness...

Pete Bedrossian
            150thNY/3rd NCT
            [FONT="Georgia"]
            Pete Bedrossian
            150th NY/3rd N.C.T.
            [/FONT
            ]

Comment

In a well known pic of Gen'l Sherman, on his horse at Atlanta, he is wearing a low cut shoe which is clearly not a brogan. I can't figure out what it is. Does anyone here know? It sort of looks like a Spencer Tie shoe.
              [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
              106th Reg't PVI
              Co. G
              Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Here's a detail I love from a photo of Meade and some of his officers showing one brigadier general's choice of footwear. They appear to be a high-quartered lace up shoe, not entirely different in function than a paddock styled boot one would wear today. His trousers look sky blue with a reinforced seat and pegged and shortened legs with a two-button closure for ease when wearing boots or half-chaps/boot tops.

Comment

I make my shoe choice from what I will be doing at the event. The shoes I wear most are from MBS and are the civilian shoes that have the brass eyelets. They hold up well and I marched 20 some odd miles in them at PW and they held up like a champ. I am not a big fan of the 16 inch boots or larger. Number one they have no real support. If your on a horse they are fine but humping it on foot they suck! I like a good pair of shoes vs boots.
                  Kiev Thomason
                  a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                  WIG
                  Armory Guards
                  Forest Park Lodge #399
                  Forest Park GA.

Comment

As far as utility is concerned I have used both my brogues and boots and had little or no adverse effects while actively engaged in marching and other rigorous activities.
                    Those pants certainly are unique. Never seen them before....
                    [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                    106th Reg't PVI
                    Co. G
                    Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

They are a form of "riding breeches."
                      The intent was, either at the knee or at the ankle, to reduce bulk and the uncomfortable and irritating "wadding" or "balling up" effect of trouser legs when wearing fitted or more tightly fitting to the leg riding boots.

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hallo!

Here is an image of another pair of riding breeches, the 114th PA officer here wearing false boots.

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Hey,
                          Isn't that Colonel Collis? Have not seen repros of those trowsers let alone real ones... learn something new everyday. Neat idea... I hate it when my trowsers ball up in my boots.
                          [FONT="Times New Roman"]

Dean Cass
                          106th Reg't PVI
                          Co. G
                          Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

If you were to zoom in closer in the 114th photo, you'll see that those are made of corduroy if my memory is correct.

Comment

Hallo!

Yes.

And, it also helps partially answer another post about metal eyelets in shoes.

:)

Curt
                              Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                              X