Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drill Bits: Hardee's - Forming a Company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Bits: Hardee's - Forming a Company?

Gilham's manual contains instructions for forming a company (#216, http://www.47thva.org/gilham/article4.html#216 ).

I've been looking for it in both Hardee's 1855 and 1862 manuals, with no luck. Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Drill Bits: Hardee's - Forming a Company?

I'm speaking at work sans library, but

You're not missing it. Mr Scott gives instructions for forming the company in the 1835 TACTICS and Gilham is repeating this with a few word changes. Hardee is not meant to replace Scotts but to give instruction in the latest manner of acting as light infantry and doesn't repeat things like forming up that should already be known. Gilham is meant to be more of an overall text. Oddly enough the 1831 French manual copied almost word for word by Scott doesn't have anything about forming the company so I'm not sure where it originated. Earlier US manuals used the English system with tall men on flanks, short in center.
    Last edited by john duffer; 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Thanks, John!

I don't have a copy of Scott's and don't see it on the "Drill Network". So, does one basically form a company as described in Gilham's #216?
      (Pvt's and Cpl's in line by height, faced to the right; "Front"; "In two ranks, form company"; "Left-Face"; "March").

Presumably, before counting off, the orderly would designate sections and platoons and place the corporals.

That sound about right?

If anyone has the text from Scott, that'd be great, too!

Thanks!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger

Comment

The Drill Network http://home.att.net/~Rebmus/ScottsSotC.htm has SCOTT on line. IMHO one of the biggest holes in our drill knowledge is caused by the lack of a SCOTT'S TACTICS reprint. As you read the manuals in order you see that they're much more like dictionary updates wit a few items added and deleted rather than new efforts.

419. The whole company being assembled on its ground, the sergeants, by the command fall in, will cause the rank and file (corporals and privates) to form in one rank, faced to the right, and in the order of height from right to left, the tallest man on the right, (now head of the rank,) the next tallest man immediately covering the first, and so on to the left or rear of the rank, in which position will be placed the shortest man.

420. This being promptly effected by the sergeants, the first sergeant will command:

Front- FACE.

421. The left guide (second sergeant) will now place himself on the left of the rank, and the first sergeant will promptly command:

SCHOOL OF THE COMPANY

1. In three (or two) ranks, form company. 2.

By the left flank. 3. Left- FACE.

4. MARCH.

422. At the third command, the whole rank will face to the left, except the guide and the man on the left, who stand fast.

423. At the command march, the whole of the men who have faced to the left, will step off together; the second on third men, counting from the left, will place themselves in the centre and rear ranks respectively, behind the man next to the guide, and face to the front; the three following men will in like manner, on closing up, form the next file, and all the other men will come successively to form files, three deep, to the right of those already established.

424. Two ranks, from one, will be formed in like manner, and on the same principle.

425. The rank and file being formed in files, three (or two) deep, the captain will cause the files to be numbered from right to left, the platoons to be marked, and the officers, sergeants, corporals, (the latter by slight transposings, see No. 37,) pioneer, and filed music to be posted as prescribed, Title I.
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG

Comment

I missed the Scotts link on that site... Thanks!

I appreciate the help, John!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Thanks John for the quote, the link and the educated explanation...
            Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Scott's Manual Reprint...that sounds like a novel idea.

Paul B.
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                Scott's Manual Reprint...that sounds like a novel idea.

Paul B.
                Pun alert!!!
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

I'm not sure what the printing expense versus profit potential would be plus I assume you have to destroy an original to copy it. I have a matching three volume set that was about $450 several years ago and I don't think they've gotten any cheaper. I see individual volumes occasionally that are somewhat reasonable. Anyone know anything about publishing ?
                  John Duffer
                  Independence Mess
                  MOOCOWS
                  WIG

Comment

Try google for the 1821 version of Scott :

Also see the remarks at page 53.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

John:

PM me. I may have some answers for you that I don't want to post publicly.
                      Brad Ireland
                      Old Line Mess
                      4th VA CO. A
                      SWB

Comment

"Try google for the 1821 version of Scott "

Silas

This is the English version I was speaking of earlier. There's also a version of this in his 1829 ABSTRACT OF TACTICS. It's pretty complicated to execute but the results are cool as even in a smaller company it gives the impression of even heights. My impression of the differences between English and French manuals is the expectation of a longterm but smaller professional army versus a large group of recruits called up each year.
                        John Duffer
                        Independence Mess
                        MOOCOWS
                        WIG

Comment

RE: Reprint of Scott's:

Steve Abolt of the Seventh U. S. Infantry Living History Association had a reprint of Vol. 1, Schools of the Soldier and Company, Scott's Infantry Tactics, 1835, done in 1990. McCrain Publishing Company, Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas. He may still have a few copies on hand. His e-mail is: sacbg7@att.net.

This is the manual we use for Seminole War and Mexican War.
                          James Permane,

15th U.S. Infantry/ 4th Fla. Vol. Inf'y

http://battleofolustee.org/

Comment

Originally posted by john duffer View Post
                            I'm not sure what the printing expense versus profit potential would be plus I assume you have to destroy an original to copy it.
                            Some years ago, the fellow who reprinted Gilham, Casey and Hardee's Revised looked into reproducing Scott. The problem he encountered was the fold out pages. If you look at an original set, there are numerous fold out pages and they are printed on very thin paper, almost like tracing paper. The printer he dealt with had difficulty locating the type of paper needed for the fold outs. Many of the fold outs are also folded numerous times. The printer indicated that each of the fold out pages would have to be folded by hand and inserted/glued by hand. In the end, it was deemed cost prohibitive for the market.

Eric
                            Eric J. Mink
                            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                            Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Thanks Eric, that's kind of what I figured, especially since the market is probably four sales a year.
                              John Duffer
                              Independence Mess
                              MOOCOWS
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X