• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass/China shirt buttons

Does anyone know of a good source?
    Frank Perkin

Re: Glass/China shirt buttons

Frank,
    Try good 'ole EVILBAY (Ebay). I ordered about 20 for <$5. They came from a place in the Czech Republic.
    Mark Taylor

Comment

I found some from Mac's Sutlery (Bill MacIntosh) at New Market this year. Great prices too, as compared to others. I couldn't find a website for him, and according the the AGSAS there isn't one. SS-Sutler also carries a ton.

Evan O'Dell

Comment

Originally posted by TobiasJones View Post
        I couldn't find a website for him, and according the the AGSAS there isn't one.
        Mac doesn't have a website, let alone a computer (probably). Our members always joke that he was probably alive during the War with Mexico! :D

Nor does he have a retail store (he says most of his stuff usually stays in the shed), but I have the following contact information from his business card:

17910 Hickory Lane
        Hagerstown, Md. 21740
        301-790-2777

The man gets around so I'd try giving him a ring and seeing what event he's heading to next.
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Originally posted by Shockoe Hill Cats View Post
          The man gets around so I'd try giving him a ring and seeing what event he's heading to next.
          Just a fair warning, Mac likes to talk and knows his stuff. If you get a hold of him be ready for a history lesson on glass buttons. The man is a wealth of knowledge but don't expect a short phone call. :wink_smil

Regards,
          -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
          93rd New York Coffee Cooler
          [I]
          "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
          [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

I would only add that I found it was best to buy them in person. That way you can inspect them for yourself. Ebay can be a good source, but some of the 4-hole variety tend to have their holes spaced a little more closely together than others (even though they may be the same size) and therefore break more easily when sewing them on.
            Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
            X