What type of firearm is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of firearm is this?

Hello, I just bought a new firearm and I would like to ask you guys if you could tell me more about it. I've tried searching and the closest match I've found is the sgt's rifle - but it is not the same. I'm stuck.

Cheers

Eduard Dekker
    Netherlands

Re: What type of firearm is this?

A two band Enfield.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Would appear to be a late 20th Century loose replica of an 1858-model of the British Enfield pattern .577 calibre rifle. Odds are it was made in India or nearby by a local on a flat rock, which is to say mostly hand made, with, perhaps, some original parts recycled. It is likely smoothbore. One would be well advised to be careful firing it, especially with ball ammunition.
      David Fox

Comment

Is it just me or is there a bulge near the muzzle?
        Russell L. Stanley
        Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
        Co.A 45th Mississippi
        Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
        Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

No, the barrel is straight. I'll take it a apart and photograph the inside and the markings, I intend to use this for reenactment and I really want to know the exact type and origin....
          Eduard Dekker
          Netherlands

Comment

The seller told me it has been used for range shooting and it has been well-maintained...

Eduard Dekker
            Netherlands

Comment

Indeed, reminisent of India, Afghanistan and the Kybher Pass. Hang it on the wall but beware the shooting thereof.
              S.Sullivan

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO...

It is a "Khyber Pass" type cobbled-piece, consisting of some original parts with local smithed replacement parts, packaged for the rise in interest and sales to Americans.

Typically, these pieces have "interesting" lock plate stampings- the Crown over VR is bogus, as is the "Tower," and they NUG have trouble with "Western" dates and numbers- carrying bogus single number stamp struck years and in this case the figure "8" is stamped upside down. (And sometimes "Western" spelling problems such as "Enfeild.")

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Sh*t. I'm not allowed to own copies according to the law, so I'll have to return it ASAP then.

Edit: Ok, made phone call, retuning it tomorrow, 100% money back :)
                  Last edited by Sheikh Al Stranghi; 06-09-2009, 10:35 AM.
                  Eduard Dekker
                  Netherlands

Comment

If you are looking for an original piece, try the approved vendors page I believe you may find a solution there.
                    Tyler Habig
                    49th Indiana Co. F
                    [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
                    Bummers
                    Backwaters

Comment

I have three questions about the arm...1. It looks like a fixed site, correct? and 2. is it a smoothbore? 3. is that an 1850 date on it?!?!?!?!

Is the answers are yes to all three I THINK I know what you have. You have a modern Indian reproduction of an 1850's Indian Issue Rifle. From what I understand talking to some folks in England, after the "uprising" the Brits started to make a special two band enfield that had a fixed site and was smoothbore for the locals. Sometime in the mid 1990's some company over there started to make copies and sell the rather cheap. There were many attempts to unload these rather odd ducks including calling them "Confederate Enfields" and even some doctored documents saying that the south bought a bunch from the East India Company or something like that...sounds good, but the South was smarter than that and if this was the case, how come the original versions are almost non-existent in the USA?!?!?!

This is MY best educated guess...I could be wrong.

Chris Fischer.
                      F-Troop

Comment

May I make a point: given this weapon is what it is, one must respect the patience and craftsmanship of the individuals and little shops who manufacture (means, of course "hand made") these things. How many of us could file-out the springs, laboriously cast and finish the hammer, shape the barrel? Fellows returning from Afganistan are bringing back these shoulder arms and pistols in large numbers. One returning GI brought me his prize, purchased loaded from a teenager. It was an original Enfield artillery musketoon, everything worn very smooth by generations of use, the rear sight leaves still in place, however. A like weapon was captured from the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia in 1968. P53 Enfields STILL compete, now against AK47s and M16s!
                        As to the post Mutiny smoothbore "Enfields" manufactured for the locals in the 1860s and '70s, scads of them came to these shores in the 1970s and '80s. They crowded gunshow tables; musket length down to passable carbines. Wish I'd bought one of the latter ($85 or so) and had Hoyt line the barrel... Now Atlanta Cutlery has been selling the contents of a Napalese armoury for several years. There must be tens-of-thousands of these Eastern-made pseudo-Enfields around now.
                        Last edited by David Fox; 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM.
                        David Fox

Comment

I think I'll buy a euroarms repro on a permit, just to be safe.
                          Cheers lads.
                          Eduard Dekker
                          Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                          X