Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Guides and Markers

Originally posted by [U
    Manual of Instruction for Volunteers and Militia of the Confederate States[/U]. William Gilham. Richmond. 1862. pp.32]

General Guide and Markers

13. There should be two general guides in each battalion; selected by the colonel from among the sergeants (other than first sergeants) for their accuracy in marching. These sergeants are denominated right and left general guide, respectively and are posted in the line of file-closers; the first in the rear of the right, and the second in the rear of the left [flank] of the battalion

Three markers are required to every battalion; they are posted behind the first company, in the rank of file-closers, when the battalion is in line, and behind the loading company or division whenever it is in column.
    Has anyone ever seen what these markers are?? Are there specifications somewhere for what these should be??

Paul B.
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Re: General Guides and Markers

I believe they are also known as camp colors. "1439. The camp colors are of bunting, eighteen inches square; white for infantry, and red for artillery, with the number of the regiment on them. The pole eight feet long." It was more common for units to utilize them on fixed bayonets from the muskets while in battleline.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

"Markers" are people. They move and are placed whenever a battalion changes alignment. The field grade officers "place markers" along the front of the first company to come into the new alignment, upon which that company will dress. Subscequent companies, coming onto line "in succession" will then post their guides in a prolongation of this line of markers, and each company dress upon them.

Markers are also used to note the specific point upon which the lead subdivision in a column will change direction. Check out Silas Tackitt's drill website - http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm - it has lots on the use of general guides and markers.

Jim Moffet
      Western Brigade
      First Minnesota, Co. A
      Last edited by Jim Moffet; 06-23-2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Looking in the U.S./C.S. EOG they have one or two. The EOG books label them camp markers but it's same difference.
        Last edited by Chad Wrinn; 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM.
        Chad Wrinn

Comment

Oops, sorry about the misinformation and thanks for the correction. It seems I've been misled for years on that...
          Ross L. Lamoreaux

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

I do not envy the 2d sgt (left general guide) of the first company in a battalion. He has everyhing to do with setting the line when forming it from a column. Be it fours, companies or divisions. It ain't no cake walk... been there and done that. :))
            [FONT="Times New Roman"]
            [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
            106th Reg't PVI
            Co. G
            Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Mr. Lamoreaux
              I was making a reference to the EOG books not to your post above. I was not correcting you by any means.
              Chad Wrinn

Comment

Oh I know that Chad! I was referring to the good colonel Moffet above.
                Ross L. Lamoreaux

Comment

Originally posted by 106th PVI View Post
                  I do not envy the 2d sgt (left general guide) of the first company in a battalion. He has everyhing to do with setting the line when forming it from a column. Be it fours, companies or divisions. It ain't no cake walk... been there and done that. :))
                  True but it is always my favorite position to be. You stay busy and I always learn something new about battalion drill in that spot.
                  Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                  Civil War Digital Digest
                  Sally Port Mess

Comment

[B]Rick Dennis, Major
                    US Artillery Reserve Inc.
                    [url]www.artilleryreserve.org[/url][/B]

[B][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Infantry is merely a buffer between two warring armies know as Field Artillery"[/FONT][/B]

Comment

I may not envy those who perform the job of 2d sgt, but, I do agree that you learn so much. By the grace of God I performed that duty adequately enough that I recieved my diamond after performing it at Neshaminy in 2005. It can have its rewards...
                      [FONT="Times New Roman"]
                      [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
                      106th Reg't PVI
                      Co. G
                      Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                      X