Converted 1816 Musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converted 1816 Musket

There is a custom 1816 conversion musket on Gunbroker and I was curious if this would be a good piece for a early war impression for Confederate and Federal?

I have not been able to find much information via a search here or my books at home.
    Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Re: Converted 1816 Musket

Hi,

It would make great early-mid war musket. There are many photos from the both the early Army of Tennessee and Army of Nothern Virginia that have men carrying conversion muskets. There are some photos of Federal soldiers carrying conversion muskets. Such as on page 3 of the The Civil War Infantryman. The picture is of SGT Thomas Reed of the 51st Pennsylvania infantry.

Confederates carrying conversion muskets:

The Battlefields of the Civil War page 112
    Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy pages 26,92,196,205
    Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown pages 21,22,38

I would recommend that you buy a original instead of a reproduction. I just bought one from College Hill Arsenal, and it is truely a awsome weapon. Just my opinion. Thanks

Andrew
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Agreed, the converted m1816 and m1822 were very common.
      V/R
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks Andrew!

I am leary of using an original weapon for re-enacting, especially one thats close to 200 years old.
        Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Hallo!

"I am leary of using an original weapon for re-enacting, especially one thats close to 200 years old."

That is a common concern.
          On the one extreme is the view that one CANNOT be any more ultimately "authentic" than to use an actual CW era weapon.
          On the other extreme is that original weapons tend to have 145 plus years of patina, use, wear, abuse, scratches, dings, rust, orange peel, blacking discoloration, loss of color, owner and dealer over-cleaning, polishing, varnishing, tc., etc., that make them look nowhere like they did when then were in actual CW use.
          And points in between.

Last but not least, are the views that we are entrusted with the care of preservation of CW antiques, relics, and artifacts and that the reenacting lifestyle further damages, destroys, or accelerates the loss of every decreasing artifacts over time.

(And not getting into reproduction guns made using original parts, or the full restoration of guns to their actual CW era appearances that divides the more "Collector" types from the more "Living History" types.)

Others' mileage, and where they fall on this scale, will vary...

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I would like to add to this conversation if hasnt already been said...this era of musket/smothbore was used by the Western Confederates in some units up until the end of the war. I know in the Army of Tennessee there are accounts that I read in Larry Daniel's Soldiering in the Army of Tennessee where soldiers carried them until 64'. (great read if you haven't read before!)

For my personal use I was able to put together an original 1816-22 conversion that is dated 1819 with all original parts except for top band and stock. Because I did some leg work I saved money and I can take this gun out in the field and DO most times above my Springfield or Enfield depending on accounts and whom I am portraying. I understand because of costs, that most folks will buy the enfield or springfield, but this has been underrepresented for some time now. Back in January at our event we hosted(DRL), we portrayed the 24th Tennessee CS, it was neat to see that some guys had done their homework and could bring thier smoothbores and we had roughly a third of the 30 man company with them.
            There is something about being on the field where this gun might have been 150 years ago and firing it! Its a real rush and period moment. I guess some folks get a kick out of eating period food, or getting soaked, or freezing but I like to see neat weapons and sometimes originals out in the field where they might have very well been 150 years ago!
            I do take good care of my stuff and make sure to clean when I get home and waist no time. I want to keep it in its original shape and look if I can.

to each his own...
            Last edited by kaelin; 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM.
            Kaelin R. Vernon
            SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Working...
            X