Musket Weathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musket Weathering

Just curious about aged or weathered muskets.

Since many of us prefer to have muskets that have all modern markings removed and finished in a period correct manner, it made me think about the overall appearance.

Considering many re-enactors are using muskets that were produced years and sometimes decades before the war they would have shown some evidence of handling and use and not have a new appearance.

Is it considered ill to age your musket to appear as one produced and used prior to the war?

I am planning on re-working my new musket to remove all modern markings and reshaping the stock. This may also entail resizing the large barrel bands that come with my particular model.

I am also considering aging the metal and the wood to have the appearance of pre-ear use.
    Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Re: Musket Weathering

Paul,

IMHO, this question is very closely tied to the specific impression that's being done. If I want to portray CS Kentucky regiments at Shiloh, a brand-new P53 Enfield would be great, since it had only been issued a few days before April 6. However, that same Enfield two years later during the Atlanta Campaign would be rather aged from wear/use.

I feel some 42s, converted flints, etc used early war would also be brand-new looking, if they had set in armories with little to no use before 1861.

By all means, authenticizing your musket, removing inaccurate modern stock finishes, etc. is best (lots of threads on here about that). I think normal use will age it soon enough, unless you're doing an impression where the guns were truly old and worn.

Just my opinion.

Best,
    Greg
    Greg Walden

Comment

Paul,

What firearm in particular are you using?
      James Duffney
      61st NY
      Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

By all means, authenticizing your musket, removing inaccurate modern stock finishes, etc. is best (lots of threads on here about that). I think normal use will age it soon enough, unless you're doing an impression where the guns were truly old and worn.

This is what I've been preaching for years! Thank you Greg.
        Frank Perkin

Comment

Hallo!

The good news is that the bands and area of the forestock under the Italian M1842 are "fine" (all in all, and in general overall context of the total gun). One can remove the bogus incorrect width thickness to the profile of the forestock wood under the bands.

The bands do not need to be down-sized or reworked because of this.

IMHO, the larger historical issue is the modern mirror ultra bright buffing wheel finishes the Italains use.

However, outside of until, time, and place, and within Northern arsenals and Southern arsenals and armories...
          IMHO, one would not be finding too many mirror bright, mint, out-of-the-box, unused M1842's, let alone M1822's by 1861.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Just general use in the field while keeping your musket in tiptop shape in a period soldierly fashion will give you the perfect patina.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Bob,

I totally agree.

I have noticed over time that as I have cared for my arms in the field, using the same items the soldiers had ( IE gun oil, rags & the use especially of white ash from the fire as an abrasive) I have seen my pieces end up with that sought after finish that a weapon only can get with use & period care.

My stocks have darkend & become smoother in finish ( I use a little bees wax as a polish with a linen cloth)

As a side effect, I have become very proficient in cleaning my arms with the period tools in the filed. (helps to have either original EM / NCO tools or good quality reproduction EM/NCO tools)

The metal has a clean dull shine as seen on originals & is more resistant to corrosion as I keep my weapons all well & appropriately oiled & this gets into the pores of the steel over time as it expands and contracts from the heat of fireing , storrage and use.

It all takes time and can't be rushed, the end result is pretty darn nice.

Depending on how many times you go out to events, the time it takes for the end result varies.

Don S
              Don F Smith

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!
                Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Working...
                X