Period Correct Bullet Molds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Correct Bullet Molds

Are there any vendors selling period correct bullet molds?
    Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Re: Period Correct Bullet Molds

Hallo!

Are you asking about civilian moulds or perhaps the molds firms like Colt put in their cased revolver presentation type sets?

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Sorry that I was not clear. Yes, I would like to get a civillian mold, but I would also like to get a Minie ball mold.
      Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

I bought the Lee original Minnie ball mold and it seems to make a fairly good minnie ball that looks correct to me when I compare it to photos of period bullets.
        Respectfully,
        Adam Lipka

Comment

Period-correct molds are, I believe, an oxymoron. Curt will correct me if I'm wrong, but Minie balls were "swaged," a process whereby lead wire was passed through a high-pressure press/cutter that formed the balls into shape without having to heat the lead.

The obvious advantage was there were no air bubbles or other such defects that would cause fragmentation or otherwise compromise the integrity of the round when molton metal is poured into a mold.

You can find out more here:

and here:

Last edited by Bill Cross; 07-27-2009, 11:28 AM. Reason: making it better
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Bill is correct.

The exception is some Confederate "Minies" such as the Gardner that were nose cast.

There are molds out there that will cast a copy of "a" Civil War "Minie" versus those that cast modern variations and alterations on them (the "Old Style" versus the new) such as Rapine.

However, they are all nose cast which when teh sprue is removed leaves a flat nose where the original swaged bullets have a pointed nose.

Another machine version was to "press and turn" them. A lead slug was cut off a lead rope, and pressed to form the nose and cavity, and then a automatic lathe cut the chanelures or grease grooves.

Dixie Gun Works offers copies of the .31, .36, and .44 brass moulds found in say Period Colt or Remington cased sets, but they NUG cast undersized and poor conicals and round balls better suited for display than accurate shooting.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X