Drummer's Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummer's Calls

I was wondering and since perusing through the search... could not find any links to the drummer's calls.

I am planning on training about 5 new recruits to march to the drum and short of an actual song, I can't seem to find anything.

Could anyone help??

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
    Guy W. Gane III
    Casting Director/Owner
    Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
    49th NYVI Co. B
    The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Re: Drummer's Calls

Paul Boccardo's site about Civil War fifer's and drummer's has some recordings that may help. They are located under the schedule of calls section. However the marching cadences aren't very long because they're played in AB format to save file space instead of in AABB like they originally would have been played in.

http://www.geocities.com/cwfifedrum/

Hope This Helps,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Dear Sir,
      If I remember correctly, Bugler R.J. Samp informed me that drummers do not have "calls," ; only buglers. I am sure if we are patient he will reply with a footnoted, ten paragraph reply.
      all for the old flag,
      David Corbett
      Dave Corbett

Comment

Drummers have all sorts of calls... granted the bugle is played mostly before the drum call but revillie is played first... I have a list of drum calls by order in witch they come in the day, if you would like them. I also have music on a cd/tape. I would also like to add that I know R.J. and he is a great musician. I hav enot had the chance to trade calls with im yet.
        Christian Jebb

(Double D)

Comment

We have some home recordings of the camp duty calls for fife and drum on our website.

Go to:

click on lessons then camp duty

Right now my personal site mostly has sheet music and a few recordings of quicksteps, but I plan on putting recordings of the duty on there eventually:

The best way to learn 1860s style drumming is to start with the rudiments instead of jumping straight into the calls and quicksteps, since the calls are comprised of combinations of the rudiments and cannot be correctly performed without them. There are plenty of period manuals that contain this rudimental instruction. Deciphering the old 1860s notation can be difficult even for an experienced drummer. That's why I recommend the Moeller book, written by the famous Gus Moeller, who actually observed the CW veteran drummers as he travelled across the country to soldiers' homes, bribing the old vets with tobacco. Published in 1925, it goes into a little more detail than the 19th century sources in describing the rudiments.

Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM.
          Will Chappell

Comment

Working...
          X