C.W. Military Reenactor Workshop Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.W. Military Reenactor Workshop Weekend

Hopefully this is posted in the proper forum, mods feel free to move/place as necessary.

I was wondering if there was any interest in a "C.W. Military Reenactor Workshop Weekend." Basically an educational weekend for reenactors to learn about different aspects of military life and how to incorporate those ideas into your impression. There would be a variety of talks by experts, hands on workshops, original artifacts to examine, etc. We would do this all in an outdoor camp setting, not in a hotel conference room, so you could basically begin to put what you learn to practice immediately. We have a piece of land just outside Gettysburg and, if we could get enough interest, would host it sometime in the beginning of April 2010.

What we would need to know is:

- Is there any interest in a military workshop weekend like this?

- What topics would you like to see covered at an event like this?

- How much would you expect to pay for entrance to the workshop, i.e. $50, $100, $200, etc. (the reason we ask is to determine how many speakers we could get, how many hands-on take home projects we could offer, etc.)

Any input is welcomed and appreciated!
    Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
    Hatboro, PA 19040
    [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
    [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Re: C.W. Military Reenactor Workshop Weekend

I might suggest that you include workshops for soldiers wives. Helpful stuff to do with cooking and sewing and child-tending.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
    Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Emily Burns View Post
      I might suggest that you include workshops for soldiers wives. Helpful stuff to do with cooking and sewing and child-tending.
      And civilian men. The civilian side does not belong to the women and kids.
      Fritz Jacobs
      CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
      [email]CPTFritz@aol.com[/email]

Comment

A mini school of the officer would be nice for us that are relatively new to being an officer.
        Ted Siljowicz

Comment

Hello,

This is a good idea. A workshop like this is something that many re-enactors can learn from and make the decision(s) as to where and how they can start to improve their impression(s), whether it is civilian or military. There is nothing wrong with learning. In order to educate the public, you first must educate yourself. I learned this first hand many years ago.

Topic(s): I see that a lot of re-enactors don’t understand the Depot system or the Commutation system when it comes down to the Confederate Army. Another topic garrison camp vs. a camp of convenience and campaign style. I always here re-enactors tell people of the public that Confederate and Union soldiers always slept inside of their A-frame/wall tents. I guess what I am saying is how soldiers on both sides camped while on campaign and while garrisoned and the main differences between the two. Also like Aaron stated in his post, a mini school of the officer would be nice.

John A. Miller
          Monterey Pass Battlefield
          South Mountain State Battlefield
          John A. Miller, Director
          Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

The first step to garner mass interest here is to determine if this is going to be geared toward the serious living historian and the researched based approach.

The idea is good but not too many serious LH'ers here are going to want to travel all that way and pay the fee to sit and listen to presentations which are geared toward improving mainstream authenticity.

Please give an example of the topics you might cover ?

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
              The first step to garner mass interest here is to determine if this is going to be geared toward the serious living historian and the researched based approach.

The idea is good but not too many serious LH'ers here are going to want to travel all that way and pay the fee to sit and listen to presentations which are geared toward improving mainstream authenticity.

Please give an example of the topics you might cover ?
              Yep...this is what I was thinking as well.

My other thought is that it's probably a little ambitious to try and do a Military, Civilian Men's, and Civilian Women's thing all lumped in as 1.

The focus IMHO should be strictly military as there's WAY more ground to cover than what can be discussed in a single weekend.

Paul B.
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far!

We were thinking a strictly military approach as civilian conferences already exist, such as the Genteel Arts Conferences.

One thing we would shoot for is to begin to bridge the gap between hardcore and mainstream and basically offer programs for everyone. There are a ton of guys out there that are ready to progress but don't know how to, outside of upgrading their kit. At the same time, there would be tools for the more learned to tweak and bring their experience to the next level.

Short list of some topics we had in mind:
                - Garment construction
                - Accoutrement construction
                - Tactics
                - Weapons
                - Camp Life
                - Photography
                - What to wear and when
                - How to research and where to find the info you're looking for

There would also be original accoutrements, firearms, personal items, etc. for attendees to examine up close.
                Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
                Hatboro, PA 19040
                [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
                [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

What about camp craft skills: How to light a fire with wet supplies. How to cook on a small canteen half. How to mend your clothing. How to pack your knapsack for comfort while not jingling and clanking on the march (a personal pet-pieve.) How to safely chop firewood (I see so many people doing this in an unsafe manor). Fundamentals of shebang construction. How to organize a useful and functioning mess where each member has a duty to perform suitable to his skills.

Military protocol: When to salute. How to behave on parade, guard duty, in camp, on fatigue detail, in the sinks, etc. What do all those calls mean I hear being played by the Bugle and Field Music? Where does all that paperwork I see the Sgt. completing in the AM go and what is it used for?

And lastly: How many licks does it take to get the the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?

Many of these things can be answered by reading varios threads and articles BUT.... reading and doing / seeing done are two very different things. Some people just can't read and then do, they have to be taught and demonstrated.

My$.02
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Even though I won't be able to attend, seeing as how I'm too far away, the best suggestion that I'd like to support and second would be "How to research and where to find the info you're looking for" made by Mr. Lomas.

I support that idea because that is EXACTLY the struggle that I'm having right now as far as improving my impression beyond improving just my kit. I'm fairly new to the authentic side of the hobby and all I know really of what it takes to be considered "authentic" is buying more expensive gear. However, I do know that that is not the only thing there is, and in reading the research articles here on the AC, I've come up with questions and theories of my own. But the biggest question of all is how can I get started doing my own research to answer my own questions and where do I look so that I am not dependent on articles from 5 or so years ago for information on improving my overall authenticity as a living historian, and so that I can contribute to the authentic community as a whole?

So, IMHO, having classes on how to research, etc. are of the upmost importance.
                    Kenny Pavia
                    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I think that overall this is something that can give the hobby a boost. It should not be limited in thought on how to improve one's impression, but also how to create one's impression.

I for one am always looking to improve, however, there are many facets where I am at ground zero.

There are far many topics and subjects than can be covered and those diverse topics / subjects would tend to dictate costs involved.

Overall, a good "bridge-building" tool to help others, including myself, cross over.

Jas. T. Lemon
                      50th VA Corporal

Comment

Originally posted by 50th VA Corporal View Post

Overall, a good "bridge-building" tool to help others, including myself, cross over.

Jas. T. Lemon
                        50th VA Corporal
                        This is what I was afraid of.

The bridge building tool is whatever help you need to get to history heavy events. It is not about kit or knowledge. It is attitude. There is not a workshop out there that will change the fact that the way to "cross over" is to get out to the events and do it.

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
                          This is what I was afraid of.

The bridge building tool is whatever help you need to get to history heavy events. It is not about kit or knowledge. It is attitude. There is not a workshop out there that will change the fact that the way to "cross over" is to get out to the events and do it.
                          I'm sorry, Chris. I realized that and it is only parcel. Truthfully, age and infirmities would keep me from participating at that level 100%. I have kit, gaining knowledge all of the time and desire. Attitude can be cultured. However, I see and have experienced enough negative comments as such of attittude that makes me very leery and unwelcomed before I even want to give it a go even though I want to.

You can catch a lot more flies with honey than vineger. Thanks for burning my bridge; I now have lost what attitude I was culturing.

Jas. T. Lemon

Comment

Originally posted by 50th VA Corporal View Post
                            However, I see and have experienced enough negative comments as such of atttude that makes me very leery and unwelcomed before I even want to give it a go even though I want to.

You can catch a lot more flies with honey than vineger. Thanks for burning my bridge; I now have lost what attitude I was culturing.

Jas. T. Lemon

Ok. If you are that victimized by my statement urging you to just get out and do it, your attitude probably wouldn't have worked out too well for you anyway.

Take care.
                            Last edited by OldKingCrow; 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Mr. Rideout,
                              It is true that one's attitude is the most important item in anybody's "kit". Your arrogant attitude does not help anyone however. Sometimes a person might need some help in "getting out and doing it". Everyone was probably not born the ultimate "campaigner" that you are.
                              I have been to "mainstream" events and "progressive" events and I see a lot of the same faces at both places. I do not and will never understand the need some people seem to have for labeling everything and belittling everyone who chooses not to call himself a "campaigner".
                              Someone can call himself a Studebaker. That does not mean he is one.
                              Tom Dodson
                              47th Ga
                              Tom Dodson

Comment

Working...
                              X