Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C.W. Military Reenactor Workshop Weekend

Bill,
    This sounds awsome. Hope you guys do it. When does registation start?

Todd Smith

Comment

Isn't this website called The Authentic Campaigner? Wasn't it designed by authentic campaigners for other authentic campaigners to use and share their ideas? .....Or, has it become diluted by the mainstream element who likes to call themselves campaigners but really are not? This is just a general statement not directed at any individual. I am just not sure why people are being offended if we are all supposed to be like minded here on this board. I am not sure why there seems to be alot of fighting on this board in all forums lately... It is a little depressing:(..Maybe some should consider going to other forums where authenticity does not matter.
      Last edited by PetePaolillo; 08-03-2009, 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

hopefully the Mods can get this thread back on track because I think Bill has a good idea going with this thread if it is done in an authentic manner....period correct musket care on campaign is somthing I would like to see taught
        Last edited by PetePaolillo; 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM. Reason: left out a sentence
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Tom read my posts again and then take careful note of what website you're on.

PM inbound.
          Last edited by OldKingCrow; 08-03-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
            What about camp craft skills: How to light a fire with wet supplies. How to cook on a small canteen half. How to mend your clothing. How to pack your knapsack for comfort while not jingling and clanking on the march (a personal pet-pieve.) How to safely chop firewood (I see so many people doing this in an unsafe manor). Fundamentals of shebang construction. How to organize a useful and functioning mess where each member has a duty to perform suitable to his skills.

Military protocol: When to salute. How to behave on parade, guard duty, in camp, on fatigue detail, in the sinks, etc. What do all those calls mean I hear being played by the Bugle and Field Music? Where does all that paperwork I see the Sgt. completing in the AM go and what is it used for?
            YEP Sounds good to me...
            Regards,
            Scott Dallimore
            14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
            Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
            -------------------------------------

Comment

Once you start including citizens... keep in mind that the normal date for a very fantastic citizen's conference (for men *and* women) is the first weekend of April each year, in Harrisburg. Two very similar events on the same weekend, in direct proximity, might not be a great thing.
              Regards,
              Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I love this idea. I would say, and I know it would be up to each individual to apply what he/she learned in the appropriate situation, but to go over things and have workshops on those things that could find its way into a weekends event. Things that are overlooked or underlooked. Some simple things, like the already mentioned hand salutes. There are so many people, including myself, who don't always know when it is proper and instead of doing it wrong don't do it at all.
                Is it possible to have different workshops going on at the same time? That way people have more choice? Depending on the topics would determine how much I would expect to pay BUT I would love to see more plans for this!
                [I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Matt Kraybill[/FONT][/I]
                [B][SIZE="5"]61st Regiment
                New York Volunteers[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

I don't mean to belittle anyone's suggestion so please don't take offence where none was meant but a lot of these questions could be answered by doing research. For example, hand salutes. To know the proper hand salute read the regulations and then you know. No need to waste a whole conference on what can be answered by reading a few sentences. However, proper drilling would be awesome and fun.
                  Kenny Pavia
                  24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

IMHO I think a workshop like this would be a great idea. I've found from researching and making garments and gear for folks is that they ask the, "How to's and where to find" questions. Over the years in the hobby I've noticed that so many "authentic" reenactors are authentic by name brand or association. They have no idea where the clothing they would be wearing came from or how it was issued. I understand the traval for some might be far stretched, but you have to begin somewhere. If the first goes well, another workshop can be planned later and maybe some could plan in advance if they are interested in attending.

I know myself from making and selling items many times I hear about the prices of things. If someone sees what goes into making an authentic item like the research, cost, material and time..they will gain a better appreciation of what it takes to produce such items.

I also believe the word "authentic" goes far beyond the outter clothes you are wearing. I belive authentic also stands for understanding the lifestyles of the men we are trying so hard to represent. I see so often where men go so far out of the way to be miserable at an event to say "this is how they would have done it". I don't believe this to be true, if the real soldiers of the civil war could have found anything to make their life more comfortable , i'm sure they would have used it to their advantage. In saying this, I'm in no way stating that these men did not sometimes have to endure the harder times of life and I praise them for their honor.

In last, in stating this..I encourage anyone with questions,suggestions and or ideas to come forward. I believe this could benefit all from mainstream to the hardest of hard cores. The purpose of the workshop is to experience things that you might not be able to experience at your everyday reenactment or living history.

This is something that we have been approached about by many reenactors from all stages of the hobby for almost 2 years now. So please, all input is valuable so we can make this a worthwell experience for all.
                    [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Wayne Hutzell[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by wayne hutzell View Post
                      I also believe the word "authentic" goes far beyond the outter clothes you are wearing. I belive authentic also stands for understanding the lifestyles of the men we are trying so hard to represent. I see so often where men go so far out of the way to be miserable at an event to say "this is how they would have done it". I don't believe this to be true, if the real soldiers of the civil war could have found anything to make their life more comfortable , i'm sure they would have used it to their advantage.

Wayne could you share an example of this ?

Comment

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by wayne hutzell View Post
                        I also believe the word "authentic" goes far beyond the outter clothes you are wearing. I belive authentic also stands for understanding the lifestyles of the men we are trying so hard to represent. I see so often where men go so far out of the way to be miserable at an event to say "this is how they would have done it". I don't believe this to be true, if the real soldiers of the civil war could have found anything to make their life more comfortable , i'm sure they would have used it to their advantage.
                        Wayne could you share an example of this ?
                        Don't want to speak for Wayne here, and certainly don't want to get off the topic of this thread, but I believe what he is trying to say is guys today will work to be comfortless, weary and miserable whereas the boys back then were striving to be comfortable and content as possible. It just comes down to 2 different mindsets between us today and them back then. We think how can I get into this miserable situation and they were thinking how can I get out. The whole point of learning is to open up new ways of thinking and that goes back to what a lot of this workshop weekend would be about.

Here's an example from Robert Beecham's memoir that I believe demonstrates the ingenuity of these soldiers and how they used what they had to better their current situation (this is after they were ordered to leave their blankets and haversacks along Bull Run and abandoned their tents to protect Fort Corcoran):

"About a hundred yards distant from Fort Corcoran there stood an old barn from which the weatherboarding had been stripped, but the frame and roof were still intact. As the shades of evening began to gather over the hills of Virginia, the orphans of the 2nd Wis. began to gather beneath the roof of that lowly asylum, which afforded not standing room for all, but even a prospect of shelter was some relief from the pelting rain. It did not seem possible that Gen. Sherman, or whoever might be in control of affairs, would keep us standing around there all night. The strategy of leaving our blankets and provisions on the banks of Bull Run was bad enough, but leaving our comfortable tents unoccupied, only a mile away, while we stood out in the rain or crowded into an old, dilapidated barn for shelter the livelong night, seemed beyond reason. Therefore, I stood outside with two of my tentmates, without making an attempt to secure shelter beneath the crowded roof, until almost dark, hoping that we would either be marched back to our camp or order our tents brought up. Finally I said to my comrades: "Boys, we must hunt cover." A few yards from where we stood the end of an old plank protruded from the barnyard filth, which lead we followed and quickly unearthed not one, but two very dirty, but sound and substantial, planks, a foot or more in width and about 16 feet long. To clean these planks was but the work of a moment, but to elevate them into the loft from beam to beam above the heads of our comrades crowded therein like sardines in a box, was not so easily accomplished. With us, however, it was no roost, no shelter; and after a vigorous push we succeeded. Then drawing up our guns, cartridge boxes and other meager belongings, we perched ourselves upon our improvised balcony in the shelter of that old roof-tree, like birds of paradise in the green branches, above and beyond the reach of the alligators and anacondas of the Amazon. Perhaps we did not enjoy that night of peaceful rest, we three who were above the clouds, so to speak. If Beauregard's army had penetrated our lines that night and had run up against us, we were in a position to fix them plenty. On the whole, our position, both for comfort and for defense, in case of an attack, was far ahead and greatly more strategic than it could possibly have been had we remained in camp."
                        Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                        [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
                        Hatboro, PA 19040
                        [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
                        [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark View Post
                          Once you start including citizens... keep in mind that the normal date for a very fantastic citizen's conference (for men *and* women) is the first weekend of April each year, in Harrisburg.
                          I believe that it is the first full weekend in March for the conference in Harrisburg, so something in April wouldn't necessarily conflict.
                          Brian Koenig
                          SGLHA
                          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

This Workshop is an excellent idea. Anytime there is the opportunity to learn more take advantage of it. It has not always been there. To strive for a better understanding of equipment or uniforms, not only helps the interest of a person but adds greatly to their portrayal of the soldier and shows to the general public, and maybe someone who would wish to begin, that there is a sincere interest in what they do. WE all need to learn. This never stops, even for myself. This comes from an "old" enthusiast and collector who began his interest in 1960. Bill, should I start bringing out the origianl artillery items and leather? Early April may be a good time. Dennis W. Duerbeck.
                            Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

I agree that the workshop is an excellent idea. Period weapons maintenance while on campaign, period rations preparation and drill, drill and more drill are all excellent subjects. All with the location at Gettysburg offering opportunities for possible side trips and excursions.
                              It would be my hope, however, that people who could actually benefit from such a workshop are allowed to participate and not made to feel that they are excluded or unworthy.
                              Tom Dodson
                              Tom Dodson

Comment

Folks,

Let's keep Bill's thread on-track. To pretend that there is not a gap in culture, as well as knowledge, between the mainstream and the p/c/h end of the hobby is either craziness or ignorance.

Talk "attitude" all you want. You won't see new people at authentic events unless they feel comfortable and welcomed. If Bill's class helps with that, then I'm all for it.

Please move ancillary discussions to another thread or folder.
                                John Wickett
                                Former Carpetbagger
                                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                                X