Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C.W. Military Reenactor Workshop Weekend

I like the idea of a workshop.

I'd be interested in learning and practicing period campaign cooking at such a workshop.

Thanks.

Anthony Weekley
    Sandy Springs, SC

Comment

John,
      You echoed my sentiments exactly. That is the point I was trying to make.
      Thanks,
      Tom Dodson
      Tom Dodson

Comment

There seems to be alot of interest in a wide range of topics. Depending on how deep you want to go in the organization of this, there are many different ways of accomplishing your goals. To name just a few: Perhaps a whole series of workshops. Perhaps some main topics at a seminar with some break out sessions that folks could sign up for to get them what they want. Offer advanced topics lined up with more basic subjects.

How about a 'Friday Night' series of lectures/workshops at C/P/H events in the parking lot or registration prior to the kick-off of the event. Dare I say: Contact organizers of mainstream events and offer a workshop there and get it on the schedule. What about a workshop at mainstream and CPH events advertised towards spectators who may be interested in getting into reenacting who may have questions.

I am very curious to see how this gets beyond the discussion stage and into reality.
        Brad Ireland
        Old Line Mess
        4th VA CO. A
        SWB

Comment

Fieldcraft: Its for everyone.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
            There seems to be alot of interest in a wide range of topics. Depending on how deep you want to go in the organization of this, there are many different ways of accomplishing your goals. To name just a few: Perhaps a whole series of workshops. Perhaps some main topics at a seminar with some break out sessions that folks could sign up for to get them what they want. Offer advanced topics lined up with more basic subjects.

How about a 'Friday Night' series of lectures/workshops at C/P/H events in the parking lot or registration prior to the kick-off of the event. Dare I say: Contact organizers of mainstream events and offer a workshop there and get it on the schedule. What about a workshop at mainstream and CPH events advertised towards spectators who may be interested in getting into reenacting who may have questions.

I am very curious to see how this gets beyond the discussion stage and into reality.
            Brad,
            Being in on the planning of this event I can assure you that there will be a host of topics covered, and it will be for both CS and Federal. We will be obtainning services of some of the most influential people in the community. Not only will we offer the workshops, but we will have an oppurtunity to put to practice what you get from the workshops. I am the actual landowner of the event site, and there will be plenty of room to camp, skirmish, and conduct an engineering workshop, ie.. building roads(courdoroy), abatis, trenches, and breast works. I will be very liberal in what we can do for this event. Not to mention that there are not many modern intrusions at the site.

As for the mainstream, yes we will welcome them to, as Bill and Wayne have stated it is to also help bridge the gap between us and them or mainstream/campaigner, and to keep in the status quo of learning and improving ones impression, field craft and knowledge. We can hope that this becomes successful and we can do it again, with maybe bringing in the civilian side next year also. But for spectators I can say that it probably wont fly at this point, but this is why Bill Lomas asked for input and we are thankful for any of the ideas you might have, and wont discount anything yet.
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 08-04-2009, 07:57 AM. Reason: Sorry folks... Its confusing to see a quote that's not in quotes. No other edits made.
            Sean "Wick" Wickerham
            Southern Rifles
            and independent

Comment

The 16th Annual Ladies and Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference will be held in Camp Hill (Harrisburg), PA on March 4-7, 2010. It's always good planning to schedule some space between conferences with similar areas of interest. It allows participants to schedule vacation, child care, finances, etc. without creating conflicts within the family.

The 1860s Conference offers a full schedule of presentations on civilian topics for both men and women. We also offer pre-conference workshops and tours, a juried marketplace, very extensive displays of original garments, a needlework competition, and other activities. The displays of original garments - dozens of dresses, undergarments, coats, vests, trousers, shirts, hats, bonnets and accessories - are a feature of the Conference and make an indoor setting a requirement. While we could offer a presentation on period plowing by some of the most knowledgeable people in the country, it is a bit difficult to plow a ballroom floor. :)

Best wishes to those considering organizing and hosting such an event for the military. It takes a phenomenal amount of work, effort and a significant financial commitment - but it's one of the most rewarding things you can do.

Regards,
              Carolann Schmitt
              [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
              20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

Sean and Bill,
                I think this is a great idea and not withstanding some of the post that get off the topic, some great ideas have come along. I to think there is a need to "bridge the gap" especially in the cav (my side of the hobby). I think the infantry has made some great strides over my 16 years in the hobby; however, I think the cav has fallen off the shelf. Look at the authentic events, how many of us do you see? Maybe 10 to 12. I am talking about eastern theater here. Don't want to offend anyone in other areas of the country. I was wondering if the location has room for horses? I would be interested in this as a possible early season drill for my unit as well. And, as Wayne mentioned, I make things for my unit all the time and guys buy the item, but I don't think they really realize why it is correct over what they had before. I would like to see more info and "sessions" on what a soldier did when not on the march or advancing or retreating from a battle. I have posted questions regarding how the hospital system work for a cavalrymen with his horse and equipment. I got a variety of answers and great reading. I really like the idea of cooking in the field. I found a issue of food items from a captain in the 1st VA cav and I have always wanted to buy what he was issued, set it down in the middle of the next event I go to with my unit, and say, "Make something" and see what we get.
                Rob Bruno
                1st MD Cav
                http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                  Folks,

Let's keep Bill's thread on-track. To pretend that there is not a gap in culture, as well as knowledge, between the mainstream and the p/c/h end of the hobby is either craziness or ignorance.

Talk "attitude" all you want. You won't see new people at authentic events unless they feel comfortable and welcomed. If Bill's class helps with that, then I'm all for it.

Please move ancillary discussions to another thread or folder.
                  John Wickett this is not ancillary discussion.

I expressed an interest in being involved and requested more information. My mistake was in trying to ascertain if this was an event geared toward the authentic community or a bridge to bring over and to improve mainstreamers and bring them to the "authentic side". I see now that it is indeed a bridge and that mods support such a bridge on this site to bring Streamers into the fold. That's great. But quite a departure from what I have always understood to be the purpose and the scope of this community and site. I gather from all the mainstream events and units advertised here now that this is the new direction of this site. That seems contrary to what the purpose of this board is /was, but its your board.

With regards to attitude, I don't have one iota of superiority or attitude in any of these posts. The attitude part comes into play "if you want it and have the right attitude, there are folks here that will do anything it takes to help you with anything you need kit, transportation and support at the event. But you have to get to an event. I see now this is the wrong approach here. Again have your workshop and may it be everything you hope it to be in the form of a recruiting tool and may the Authentic Campaigner further become fertile ground and a Mecca for workshops for raising up folks from the stream.

I wont post any longer with my sincere desire to keep focused on the direction that makes this site what it was once known for. I am a customer of Bill's and find his leather craft to be amazingly accurate, so its not anything about him.
                  Last edited by OldKingCrow; 08-04-2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

"But for spectators I can say that it probably wont fly at this point" Understood.... I was thinking long term.
                    Brad Ireland
                    Old Line Mess
                    4th VA CO. A
                    SWB

Comment

Originally posted by rbruno View Post
                      I really like the idea of cooking in the field. I found a issue of food items from a captain in the 1st VA cav and I have always wanted to buy what he was issued, set it down in the middle of the next event I go to with my unit, and say, "Make something" and see what we get.
                      Well, this is probably an ancillary discussion best moved to another thread, so if anybody thinks it's worth continuing, feel free to start another thread and I'll go over there. But I don't get it. Why would that be unusual to do at an event? What would be a reason not to do it? Isn't that, um, kinda typical?

Hank Trent
                      who recalls being given a chicken breast and a pumpkin, and told to make an officers' dinner. :)
                      hanktrent@gmail.com
                      Hank Trent

Comment

I just threw that out there as an addition to someone's suggestion about cooking on a canteen half or cooking in the field. In my opinion, it would be interesting to see what people have research/read from soldiers and what they eat, how they ate it, what combinations they made, how many different meals can be created from the same supplies, etc.
                        Rob Bruno
                        1st MD Cav
                        http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Depending on the amount of workshops you would have I would say between 50 and 100 sounds reasonable. Also when do you expect to start taking registrations. As a couple of my pards and I are stoked to do this event.

Todd Smith
                          Last edited by graybackboy; 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

From all the varied responses that have been posted on this thread most seem to be generally interested in this instuctional work shop weekend. With some of the best names in our hobby planning to share their knowledge and demonstrate their vast talents with us. How could it not be a great way to improve ones impressions and start a new campaigning season on the right foot.
                            Tom Markee
                            Thomas Marke

Comment

Working...
                            X