X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniches

Originally posted by SparksBird
    Here's some more tips:
    -Find the two biggest guys in the company to spoon with. Those little skinny fellers don't put out much heat.

Rick Musselman
    Buckeye Mess
    GHTI

I thought we skinny guys don't put off any heat.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Originally posted by SparksBird
      -Hold on tight while Phil Campbell is driving the wagon.
      I didn't lose any of the beans on that run. But you are correct, IF you are fortunate enough to be able to ride on a wagon instead of marching, realize that these vehicles do not have any real suspension and you will have a bumpy ride. And in a pinch, you will have to get out and push.

Phil Campbell
      Phil Campbell

Comment

Keep in mind that if it has rained all day and there is a slight period when the rain stops at night, then more than likely it will rain again later that night or early the next morning, so don't take down the shelter that you had built thinking that you are safe. (found that out fast at Perryville)

On a hot day, don't tie your drawstrings on your underdrawers around your ankle real tight. Leave them loose. This will let some hot air escape and you will be more comfortable.

On a cold day, tuck your shirt into your underdrawers. I found that this keeps you warm a lot better.

Jackets make better blankets than pillows. Just use your knapsack as the pillow and you will be better off on a cold night.

Using fence rails for shelter with your pards, build your fire just right outside of the open end and keep it small to avoid burning the rails. This will help keep you warm longer.

Comment

Pards:
          say this aint half bad i've learned alot .

if you get selected to clean dishes and you have that one dish that is going to be heck to clean, especially the big pot that your going to need tommarrow , boil water in it for a good 30 minutes or so until the crud disilodges it self . I learned that trick while cleaning up maccaroni and cheese in the boy scouts

another thing that is kinda obvious is that , if you sew wooden buttons on your pant's with tooth floss they won't pop off as much,

Rob, please continue to read the thread to learn period ways of staying comfortable while campaigning. Your suggestions have a mainstream sound to them and don't belong on this forum. - Mike Chapman
          Last edited by dusty27; 02-13-2004, 09:34 PM.
          Very Respectfully,
          Robert Young

Comment

Originally posted by 61NC
            I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep your feet warm,period. During cold weather, my feet stay icy day and night. I didn't know about massaging the feet before bedtime, I'll try that at my next event. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, curt cole
            My first night of cold camping in a dog tent, my feet practically froze. The second night, instead of just using my greatcoat as a blanket, I folded it partly under my feet and "short-sheeted" it up my body, then put the wool blanket over top. I felt much warmer and slept better. The nightcap also helped greatly at the other end.
            If you are wearing two pair of socks, you can switch the outer ones to inner and put the old inner ones on inside-out.
            Bernard Biederman
            30th OVI
            Co. B
            Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
            Outpost III

Comment

I put my shoes under the blanket with me on those cold nights. Feels a lot better the next morning instead of slipping my feet into cold, hard leather.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

A few suggestions not previously made

On warm days when you've been exerting yourself - such as on long marches - your perspiration will drench your clothes. Sleeping in your own wetness will make you colder at night. Strip down to your shirt and drawers. Turn your coat inside out. You and your stuff will dry. Eventually, you'll get cold. Put your stuff back on. You'll be dry and remain warmer than if you hadn't released all that moisture.

Keep your get together. When your pack is opened or your mule collar is rolled out, your stuff tends to go move around as you fiddle with it. Keep your stuff in small poke bags and also have a larger bag for stuff. When you're done with an item, return it to a bag. (I keep my pocket knife and spoon in a white bag. The only other white bag I allow is the one with my various medicine type items: toothbrush, paste, aspirins, moleskin.)

Check the location of your canteen and shoes before you sack out. You'll certainly need them during the night so make sure they're within arms reach. Know the location of your matches and a candle in case you must have light.

My preferred campaign pillow is a cartridge box.

Keep the adult beverages to a minimum or not at all during those really cold nights.

Bring some moleskin if you're intending to march five or more miles. You may not need it, but one of your pards certainly will.

Stay in shape! This hobby is hard on the body, so walk, walk, walk. Regular stretching and use of free weights is also good.

Cook two or three days rations before you go to an event. This keeps you from becoming dependent upon finding/making a fire before you eat. If you're issued rations at an event, cook them all in one sitting instead of some now, some later.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

This one's good for caffeine addicts: Before you go to bed at night, fill your covered boiler with fresh water and drop a small handfull of coffee beans in it. Set the boiler just by the edge of the fire. In the morning, you will have the strongest coffee you've ever had.
                  Pierre King
                  27th Conn.
                  1st Minnesota

Comment

An earlier post said ''never stand when you can sit''. I appreciate the humor here, however anyone who has any trail experence will tell you that during a hike or in our case a march, never sit prone, or completely relax during a break or a halt.
                    Keep your legs under you and stay on your feet if possible. Even the fittest person will stiffen up and have a hard time moving again if they relax.

My dad adds. ''...and don't let Ben Tart get between you and the fire...or the skillet...''
                    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I always put a couple of sticks of Yellow Pine "Fat" wood in the bottom of my haversack, under the liner. The sticks are about a half inch in diameter, and six inches long. They take up almost no room, and can be a real life saver in wet weather, when you are starting a fire. You can light a stick of "Fat" wood with a match, and it will burn for about ten minutes.

Fat wood is nothing but the sap wood from Yellow Pine logs, and would have been readily available to Civil War soldiers.

You can often find "Fat" wood for sale at home centers, or other stores that carry fireplace supplies.
                      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

pards:
                        I would like to say that I've gotten a couple of e-mails from a friend of mine ,this person is not on this forum . I just want to say that i set up this post off of the idea on another forum, I started my first post out very simply . I posted saying to 'use your poncho if you are cold as another blanket' . I had the intention to have us build from there. This forum was intended for people new to the hobby that might not have much expierence. I hope that I didn't maqke any of you angry of offended.
                        Very Respectfully,
                        Robert Young

Comment

Originally posted by bluebellybugleboy
                          pards:
                          I would like to say that I've gotten a couple of e-mails from a friend of mine ,this person is not on this forum . I just want to say that i set up this post off of the idea on another forum, I started my first post out very simply . I posted saying to 'use your poncho if you are cold as another blanket' . I had the intention to have us build from there. This forum was intended for people new to the hobby that might not have much expierence. I hope that I didn't maqke any of you angry of offended.

Not at all, it has spurned some great ideas.
                          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Pard:
                            well I've certainly learned alot. it's just that I sent this to a close friend of mine and he sent it to his cousin who has been reenacting since 1988. and that person apparently thinks that I am some type of dimwit now . i have never met this person . thanks hireddutchcutthroat. I kinda needed that.
                            Very Respectfully,
                            Robert Young

Comment

Originally posted by bluebellybugleboy
                              Pard:
                              well I've certainly learned alot. it's just that I sent this to a close friend of mine and he sent it to his cousin who has been reenacting since 1988. and that person apparently thinks that I am some type of dimwit now . i have never met this person . thanks hireddutchcutthroat. I kinda needed that.

Well I have been at this since 1989. Call me a dimwit, but I have learned allot.
                              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hello pards,
                                Sorry for my bad English. :o

To be sleep warmth in a cold night, of course I change my shirt and my socks before go to «*bed*» . Very important !
                                The day shirt and day socks are drying near the fire and go in the knapsack for tomorrow morning.
                                I keep the trousers but not the suspenders.
                                On the night shirt, I put the vest. On the vest, I put the overcoat, when I have one : I button nearly all the buttons and use it as a cape, without putting my arms in the sleeves. Just one or two buttons are not buttoned so I can pass my arm out if I need.
                                After that, I also button my shell jacket and put it on…my legs like a sack. Good for the feet !
                                My blanket was folded in half. One half under me and one half over.
                                For the finish, I just draw the overcoat cape on my head. Better if you have a night cap.

If you can choose, sleep under small trees or bushes or even in bushes ! It is much more warmth.

The knapsack is a good pillow and the shoes and the rifle goes under the blanket.
                                If it raining, I put some dry leaves or small little wood under the oilcloth. If the fire was extinguish during the night, it may help to start another more easier.

Have a good night ! :D

Jean-Marc Atlan
                                [I]Gettysburg 1993
                                Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Working...
                                X