Campaigner Tips, Tricks, & Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniches

I thought this was a great thread ofr new fish like myself I wanted to bump it into 2006 :)
    thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

Here is a tip that I am surpirsed nobody has mentioned. To get the rust off the weapon and bayonet, simply get a huck towel, wet it a bit and then rub the towel into some ashes from the campfire.

Now all you need to do is rub the towel over the rust and the ash will remove it. This method works very well.
      Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
      Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
      Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
      The Tater Mess
      The Widow's Son Mess
      WIG's
      [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

This isn't much of a "trick" but I try to maintain my gear in such a way that it is safe to use but at the same time blends in to what was done in the period. The suggestion was brought up earlier to read some work from the time and act that out - try doing your mending while in camp with period tools or even on the march during a long lull. It gives you something to do, brings your gear up to speed and looks appropriate for any scenario.
        As an aside, I know some like the "weathered and worn look" while others of us prefer gear and equippments that are well maintained. Each adds to the "colorfull appearance" of the ranks, I believe.

Jay Reid
        9th Texas
        Jay Reid

Comment

Use different colored ration bags, and know the colors. I've dumped coffee in my boiler thinking it was peas before. :cry_smile

For tote bags, put important things in a white one, so if you need something at night (i.e. medicine), it is easier to find in the dark.

If you're continuously in motion or it is very cold, stay off the liquor, and drink water (someone else mentioned this, I just want to bring it up again).

Make sure your rice is fully cooked, if it's not cooked all the way, you are in for some real pain, I am speaking from experience. The wait for the rice to finish cooking, is a lot shorter than your visit to the sinks will be.

Keep some hardtack in your trouser pockets, the sweat will soften them up a bit (something I learned from Don Smith). Too disgusting for you? Put them in there anyway, them hand a pard one, let him take a bite then tell him how you softened it up and watch his face.

If on the march and the orders halt are given, step your feet in place, if you stop you'll start to feel the burn.

During a battle scenario, if your mouth gets dry, next time you tear off a cartridge end, chew the paper, this will get the saliva going again.

A lot of thirst comes from the want of water on your tongue, next time, take a small sip, hold the water in your mouth for a while before swallowing.

That's all I got for now.
          - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
          1st California Co. F
          Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
          -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

This I actually learned from a pard of mine at a living history a few months ago. To clean out a canteen half after using it to fry up slab bacon, turn it over onto the flame of the fine and let it sit for about 20-30 seconds (this burns all the grease off). The take it of, flip it back over, and pour some water from your canteen into it and let it sit for about 30-1 minute to let it cool down. Then dump the water, wipe it dry, stow it away, and your'e off on your way. If anyone has anything to add to this, feel free to comment, I welcome suggestions freely and openly.
            Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
            [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
            [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

[I]Cowards die many times before their deaths;
            The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Here are just a few helpful suggestions to keep in mind while on campaign.

1. Sunstroke may be prevented by wearing a silk handkerchief in the crown of the hat, by wet cloth or by moistened green leaves or grass.

2. When marching or on active duty, the more thirsty you are, the more essential it is to life itself to rinse out the mouth two or three times and then take a swallow at a time, with short intervals. A brave French General while on Forced March, fell dead on the instant by drinking largely of cold water while snow was on the ground.

3. Stew or boil your meat always. Roasting or frying are unhealthy modes for camp cooking. (Particularly frying)

4. It is important to wash the feet well every night (not in the morning), because it aids to keep the skin and nail soft, to prevent chafing, blisters and corns, all of which greatly interfere with a soldier's duty.

5. If the feet begin to chafe, rub the socks with common soap where they come in contact with the sore places. If you rub the feet well with soap (hard soap) before the march, you will scarcely be troubled with sore feet.

6. Water can be made almost ice cool even in the hottest weather by closely enveloping a filled canteen or other vessel, with a woolen cloth kept plentifully wetted and exposed.

7. This one directly contridicts the above opinionated/historical hearsay posts claiming one should stay on your feet when halted during a march. While on the march, lie down the moment you halt for a rest; every moment spent in that position refreshes more than five minutes spent standing or loitering about.

These are just a few tips to help one while on campaign and before someone comes in crying foul on any of them... these tips are as authentic as you'll ever find... they were written by Daniel Butterfield and are included in his Camp and Outpost Duty manual dated 1862.

Regards,
              Regards,
              [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
              Co. H 33rd Va Inf
              Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
              Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

To generate heat in a hurry if you are really cold, take a good sized spoonful of sugar. As your body metabolizes it, it will generate warmth that will last for at least an hour or so. Repeat as needed.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Originally posted by 33rd VA Co. H
                  Here are just a few helpful suggestions to keep in mind while on campaign.

1. Sunstroke may be prevented by wearing a silk handkerchief in the crown of the hat, by wet cloth or by moistened green leaves or grass.

2. When marching or on active duty, the more thirsty you are, the more essential it is to life itself to rinse out the mouth two or three times and then take a swallow at a time, with short intervals. A brave French General while on Forced March, fell dead on the instant by drinking largely of cold water while snow was on the ground.

3. Stew or boil your meat always. Roasting or frying are unhealthy modes for camp cooking. (Particularly frying)

4. It is important to wash the feet well every night (not in the morning), because it aids to keep the skin and nail soft, to prevent chafing, blisters and corns, all of which greatly interfere with a soldier's duty.

5. If the feet begin to chafe, rub the socks with common soap where they come in contact with the sore places. If you rub the feet well with soap (hard soap) before the march, you will scarcely be troubled with sore feet.

6. Water can be made almost ice cool even in the hottest weather by closely enveloping a filled canteen or other vessel, with a woolen cloth kept plentifully wetted and exposed.

7. This one directly contridicts the above opinionated/historical hearsay posts claiming one should stay on your feet when halted during a march. While on the march, lie down the moment you halt for a rest; every moment spent in that position refreshes more than five minutes spent standing or loitering about.

These are just a few tips to help one while on campaign and before someone comes in crying foul on any of them... these tips are as authentic as you'll ever find... they were written by Daniel Butterfield and are included in his Camp and Outpost Duty manual dated 1862.

Regards,
                  Have used all of these - and the only one I not sure about is #2. If you are thirsty, drink water. We always plan for a weekend never for a war, but if we used the above, we would greatly see the benefits over time (especially #3, 5, 7). #6 is why we have canteen covers - always thoroughly wet it when refilling the canteen.

Some other good ones include (mostly related to marching):

8. Finding shade in any form at every moment

9. Keep clean - especially your crotch, face/neck and feet.

10. Wear well fitting wool or wool/cotton mix socks (not cotton) and change out at night before going to sleep (after washing your feet). Wash your socks out and hang em on the back of your knapsack to dry while marching.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Yes, Doug, keeping the crotch clean is high on my list!
                    Tom Yearby
                    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I actually think some of the tips are bad. No frying of meat? A great deal of what these guys ate was fried. Just how it was. Yes, some was boiled but a great deal was fried. Silk hanky on your head? I've NEVER read an account of that at all.

This reminds of me of the 20 page thread on Rich Mountain before the event with people talking about salt tablets and snakes and bears.

The best things to do are to be in shape, to eat and drink, and to be prepared to soldier. The internet is a grand tool for over-thinking the obvious.

Regards,
                      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fredderick,
                        I will kindly remind you to remove your hat, and bow your head in respect when you speak of Rich Mountain. Many a good man died from exposure for lack of knapsacks, or were left stacked dead on the side of the road both going up and coming down the road on that awful weekend.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Yes, be a soldier, not a pretender. Ain't hard. Pretty simple. Just do your research and don't think too much.
                          Tom Yearby
                          Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Rich Mountain was too brutal! I try not to think about it. So many good men gone because of want of a blankie.
                            Tom Yearby
                            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo
                              I actually think some of the tips are bad. No frying of meat? A great deal of what these guys ate was fried. Just how it was. Yes, some was boiled but a great deal was fried. Silk hanky on your head? I've NEVER read an account of that at all.

This reminds of me of the 20 page thread on Rich Mountain before the event with people talking about salt tablets and snakes and bears.

The best things to do are to be in shape, to eat and drink, and to be prepared to soldier. The internet is a grand tool for over-thinking the obvious.
                              I'm hoping I'm just missing the really dry humor or sarcasm. But if I missed it, others might too. So what the heck, I'll point it out. The irony, of course, is that the internet has nothing to do with the "problem," because the silk-hanky, no-frying advice was offered by some fool who was apparently giving bad tips and over-thinking the obvious, in 1862. :)

Hank Trent
                              hanktrent@voyager.net
                              Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent
                                I'm hoping I'm just missing the really dry humor or sarcasm. But if I missed it, others might too.
                                Hank,

What you may have missed is the currently circulated myth which blames the number of federal no-shows on threads discussing lions, tigers, and bears on the federal march route. Oh, my!
                                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                                X