Campaigner Tips, Tricks, & Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniches

I travelved 20 hours to Rich Mountain to see the bears. Didn't see one. Was disappointed.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo
      I actually think some of the tips are bad. No frying of meat? A great deal of what these guys ate was fried. Just how it was. Yes, some was boiled but a great deal was fried. Silk hanky on your head? I've NEVER read an account of that at all.

This reminds of me of the 20 page thread on Rich Mountain before the event with people talking about salt tablets and snakes and bears.

The best things to do are to be in shape, to eat and drink, and to be prepared to soldier. The internet is a grand tool for over-thinking the obvious.

Regards,
      Mr Baker,
      Nowhere did I ever say the soldiers NEVER fried their food. Personally... I prefer fried food. If you stop and think about it for more than 2 seconds,.. you'll hopefully come to realize that by boiling or stewing meat... a broth is made which also adds nutritional value to a soldier's diet and is undoubtedly more healthy than frying. You stated it's "just how it was"...were you there or is that another interjection of historical hearsay as I suspect?

I never said those were the greatest or newest of tips/suggestions. I based my post on purely factual information. Where are you getting yours? If you've never read of putting a silk hanky or leaves in your hat then you obviously need to do a little more reading. Like I stated in my post... each and every suggestion I wrote was word for word from Daniel Butterfield's Camp and Outpost Duty Manual dated 1862.

Oh and thanks for the tip about eating and drinking and being in shape... I never would have thought of that.

Regards,
      Regards,
      [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
      Co. H 33rd Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
      Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

The best way i found to roast corn over the fire is the use of the bayonet.
        Take the whole ear of corn and rinse it a bit in water and a peal a way a little bit of the ears on the corn not all of them though. The ears will protect the corn itself from being burnt. Stick the whole ear corn on the bayonet and begin a roasting. The length of time it takes to cook depends on your fire.

Enjoy

Ben Taylor
        37th Ga co.i
        Hardees Guard Battlion

Comment

Originally posted by blt37thga
          "...and a peal a way a little bit of the ears on the corn not all of them though. The ears will protect the corn itself from being burnt."
          Ben, my guess is your keyboard said "ears" when you meant "husk." ;)
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Greg,

I wasn't attacking you personally, more the flavor of the whole thread. As you have stated, I guess I need to do some reading. You say some of this info is contained in...what was the word...books? I will look for some of these "books" and other things you have mentioned.

Before I go out, I will boil a hearty stew and wrap my head in leaves and silk. Dan Butterfield would be proud.

I bow my head at your profound knowledge and campaigner wisdom. I only hope to one day reach your status.

Be mindful of keeping your crotch dry too. I don't know if silk or leaves will help with that.

Regards,
            Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Boil the corn and fry the meat is what I live by, but then I never read a book either.
              Tom Yearby
              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

As for the previously mentioned cabbage-leaf-under-the-hat cooling trick — a supple leaf contains enough moisture so as to suck the heat right out of your head without dampening first. Cabbage keeps well on the march for days. When the leaf currently in use becomes warm, eat it and replace with a newly peeled one.
                (Old African trick, brought over here by involuntary immigrants)

Three to a dog tent — when such luxuries are used — BUTTON the third "half" so there is a corner at the apex. The loose corner should be staked (or bayoneted or weighted down) as far out as can be done. This ups the covered "floor space" enough so that heads AND feet can be inside.
                (There are period illustrations of this)

When using your bayonet to auger into, say, a cider barrel, ALWAYS cover with cloth the palm shoving on the socket or you might blister.
                (I can personally attest to the truth of this)

After brushing your teeth carry your brush in a buttonhole ‘till dry. If put away wet, the pig bristles will rot.
                (There is a period report of columns of men marching by, each with just such a boutonnière on his chest.)

Lemon juice squeezed onto a bit of salt sprinkled on your palm will easily brighten brass. This will get you through an inspection IF you remember to rinse off the brightening solution with water.
                (Any remains of the fruit should be eaten as an anti-scorbutical snack)

Glen E. Hargis
                Rackensacker Mess
                Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)
                Glen E. Hargis
                Rackensacker Mess

Comment

I learned to sleep in the rain. Sans tent and, I'm pretty good at it. One gum up one gum down me and my stuff in the middle. Just hafta' make sure nothing on the bottom sticks out. If the bottom gum does, it collects water real nice, and a lot. You also have to learn to realize what amount of wetness is acceptable for you, that there is no way to stay totally dry in a steady or hard rain. For me, it doesn't really matter. Wool is warm when it's wet and it drys fairly quickly when it's worn.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                  Past President Potomac Legion
                  Long time member Columbia Rifles
                  Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

My contribution is small, but essential when camping in West Tennessee/ Northern Mississippi. A bunch of Confederate Marines taught me this little trick. It is how to start a fire with wet wood

- Carry a candle in your bedroll/ knapsack. Light the candle and start stacking the wet wood around it, just above the flame. Within minutes the wood will dry, catch, and you'll have a roaring fire.

John Spain
                    aka Causes2b1
                    John Spain
                    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

• Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniches

I have really enjoyed and have learned alot from this thread. But, I would like to add one that I have not read, and by not doing so has put many a good soldier down.

1. Wash your hands after wiping your butt.
                      2. Wash your hands after wiping your butt.
                      3. Wash your hands after wiping your butt.

and the candle thing is a great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Beasley
                        I have really enjoyed and have learned alot from this thread. But, I would like to add one that I have not read, and by not doing so has put many a good soldier down.

1. Wash your hands after wiping your butt.
                        2. Wash your hands after wiping your butt.
                        3. Wash your hands after wiping your butt.

and the candle thing is a great idea!
                        Common sense, but I would hate the idea that someone in my mess doesn't practice common hygiene. I always bring the soap and a canteen with me.

BTW, carrying period newspapers not only adds a bit to the impression, it adds little weight to your load, and makes great TP in a pinch. Grab a sheet (preferably one you have already read), and while you're doing the business, just scrunch the paper, unfold it, twist it, unfold it, and repeat until it is soft(ish).

One more thing, and I've heard stories about this.... Make sure your braces aren't right beneath you during this time. You'll have a hard time explaining to your pards why you don't have your braces after coming back from the sinks.
                        - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
                        1st California Co. F
                        Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
                        -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

[QUOTE=Lone Guard]Common sense, but I would hate the idea that someone in my mess doesn't practice common hygiene. I always bring the soap and a canteen with me.

Common sence...you would think, but next time just take notice...and watch. Seen this happen way toooo many times in the real army and reenacting.

Newspaper...good idea.

Comment

Good call on the candle trick man. You'd be supprised how many folks in our wing do NOT know how to start a fire in the woods. Yet, i'm sure most men during the war tried their hand at it.

Here's a little cooking trick I like to use. If you are carrying biscuits in your food sack, place them on a log next to the fire while your cooking the rest of your grub. By the time your done, you'll have a nice and toasty warm biscuit. Also, soak up some bacon grease with them after your cooking is done. It makes for a nice salty taste.

Comment

Dig your fire pit as a skinny trench.
                              Narrow enough to allow your cooking vessels (should you happen to have any) to sit on the ground and over the fire.
                              There's no need then to prop them on logs or rocks or suspend them over the flames.
                              The ground is more stable and readily available for this purpose.
                              This was a French method known to the U.S. military in the War of the Rebellion.

Small tin can boilers with bails CAN be suspended over a fire on a ramrod resting on the "bends" of two socket bayonets.
                              Glen E. Hargis
                              Rackensacker Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Hargis, G. 5 A-1
                                Dig your fire pit as a skinny trench.
                                Narrow enough to allow your cooking vessels (should you happen to have any) to sit on the ground and over the fire.
                                There's no need then to prop them on logs or rocks or suspend them over the flames.
                                The ground is more stable and readily available for this purpose.
                                This was a French method known to the U.S. military in the War of the Rebellion.
                                Nice, I had not heard that before, and it seems so simple, it would definately keep the heat concentrated more.
                                Do you have any documentation of this? I'm not doubting it, I would just like to know where it was from.
                                - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
                                1st California Co. F
                                Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
                                -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

Working...
                                X