Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaigners tips, tricks, and techniches

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
    A note on keeping warm by a fire. As anyone who spends alot of time camping or in the outdoors with a campfire probably knows...A good small fire will keep you warmer than the bonfire we might otherwise be inclined to build. "If you start to sweat and have to back way off the campfire, you'll suddenly become very cold."

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

Don't forget a reflector if its really cold. Just put a log or a pile of rocks on the opposite side of the fire. Sounds silly but it works

Don Smith
    Salamander Mess

Comment

When it is below freezing, keep your canteen under your armpit. When you wake up in the mornig yor water will not be frozen and you can use it. Your knapsack or Jacket can make excellent pillows (weather permitting you to use your jacket for that purpose).
      If you ever see a brand of salt pork at a grocery store (band name is Farmland) it is extremely salty and fatty. I can't remeber when I had a big hunk of meat on there. Its fairly close to Sow belly. Moo & Oink for you Chicago people sells it, Piggly Wiggly sells it sometimes, and I've found it at alot of other places. The only problem is it comes in 1 1/2 Ib. slabs not 2.
      I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
      Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
      Hard Head Mess
      Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
        I'm reminded of the Willie and Joe cartoon of Willie in the rain talkin' to a fresh fish " The experienced sojer will know how ta stay warm an' dry....Lemme know when ya figger it out!"
        let me just say that I love willie and joe. the auther just died a couple of month's ago.

Nothing to do with the discussion - Mike Chapman
        Last edited by dusty27; 02-13-2004, 08:37 AM.
        Very Respectfully,
        Robert Young

Comment

Here's a couple of things that most of us don't do well enough.

Period Hair:
          You want a period haircut? Cut it yourself. Get creative and use dull scissors and don't use a mirror. Be daring and let a pard cut it in camp (great firper!!!). Make a deal with him that you can cut his hair, too. That way he won't give you a really bad cut and then run. The day you are leaving for an event, don't wash your hair, just comb it down and go. When you arrive onsite, soak your head. Horse troughs are excellent for this, but bottled water works well. With soaking hair, pull your hat/cap down tight. Let hair dry. Then attempt to comb. You should have an excellent hair ambiance that will have all the other feller's talking. They might not be saying complimentary things, but they will be talking about you.

Imitation Lice:
          I got this idea after having a stress test. You know how they shave a little patch off your chest to stick that monitor thing. Well, in a few days, it itches. My suggestion is to shave a few odd little patches at various locations over your body. Do this about 10 days before the event so the hairs can start to grow out by the time the event starts. All weekend you will be absentmindedly (and authentically) scratching at odd spots all over your body, much like a victim of lice.

Keep it goen,

the Coach McCoach of the AC ...
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by bluebellybugleboy
            pards:
            this thread is for everyone to post a trick tip or techniqueson campiagning. it can be anywhere from keeping warm , to keeping powder dry. let's keep it reasonable also. no campers or the such.

Mytips: If it get's cold at a reenactment , and you've already used all your blankesand great coat, use your poncho
            I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep your feet warm,period. During cold weather, my feet stay icy day and night. I didn't know about massaging the feet before bedtime, I'll try that at my next event. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, curt cole

Comment

Originally posted by 61NC
              I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep your feet warm,period. During cold weather, my feet stay icy day and night. I didn't know about massaging the feet before bedtime, I'll try that at my next event. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, curt cole
              Strong recomendation is that you change your socks more frequently, and definently do not wear socks at night which you wore during the day. The sweat from your feet will remain in the socks even though they may feel dry. Also avoid cotton at all cost...these trap moisture whereas wool ones will wick the moisture away from your feet. You may also try doubling up on a light pair of socks with a thicker outer pair.

Hope this helped,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Gents,

In order to bring a rapid end to a rest period and therefore resume some tiresome march, drill or fatigue duty, load your pipe bowl, fire it up and take several good draws...

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
                geoffrey lehmann

Comment

I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep your feet warm, period. During cold weather my feet stay icy day and night.
                  Sometimes theirs not much you can do about it during the day. I find as long as I'm staying active, my feet will be ok.

If you're having major problems keeping your feet warm during the evening time, then I suggest taking off your shoes and warming your feet up by the fire. Stick those dogs right up to the fire as close as humanly possible. If you have an extra pair of socks, put them on and continue to keep them next to the fire. While wearing a fresh pair of socks, try to dry out the used pair as best as possible. Don't put those wet cold shoes on until morning time. (of course if you have guard duty that night, you will freeze :confused_ tough it out.)

Just do the best you can, but keep in mind, if it's that cold out, theirs really not much you can do. Just take it like a man and freeze. The real CW soldiers knew different tips to keep warm also, but honestly sometimes they froze their arse off too.

Hog-Eye wisdom.
                  Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 02-12-2004, 11:44 PM.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                  Cincinnati

Comment

To clarify the sock commentary, as learned from that damm'd Chawls Heef:

Just before bed, take off shoes, remove stanky socks. Wash feet, if at all possible, rubbing them vigorously, at least. Put clean, dry wool socks on feet. Turn stanky socks inside out. Put stanky socks on over clean socks. Pull sleeping cap down tight and wrap scarf around neck. Go to sleep. In the morning, remove stanky socks and discover that they have dried during the night. Get up and get moving, cause that danged ol' hornblower is finishing Revile.

Damp cotton socks will freeze your feet. Always wear wool socks in the cooler months. Wet wool will still keep you warm.

Also, stanky socks are good for mittens in a pinch the next day.

But, your pards won't shake your hand ...
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

I have seen this in a couple of company histories:

If you are marching on a hot day put damp green leaves in your hat to keep cool. (Avoid the poisonous leaves! :wink_smil)

Comment

Never piss in the wind :wink_smil

Adds nothing to the thread - Mike Chapman
                        Last edited by dusty27; 02-13-2004, 08:35 AM.
                        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
                        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
                        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
                        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Here's some more tips:
                          -Find the two biggest guys in the company to spoon with. Those little skinny fellers don't put out much heat.
                          -Bacon grease can get a fire going even in the rain.
                          -Hold on tight while Phil Campbell is driving the wagon.
                          -Simple items like hardtack, raisins and sugar can be cooked into quite a fry pie.
                          -Further scrutinize any two day old meat that is issued out. Tip from the first Pickett's Mill
                          -Lastly, a good period trick for farmers to cool off is to place a wet cabbage leaf on your head. But if your head is like Joe Smotherman's you'll probably have sauerkraut at the end.

Rick Musselman
                          Buckeye Mess
                          GHTI
                          [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
                          Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
                          President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
                          Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Comment

Going to the field has not changed, tips I use now and during reenactments some of which have been mentioned:

Don't sleep with your boot/shoes on, your feet will sweat and get cold.

Dirty socks will keep your feet cold, due to sweat that has collected, change them daily if possible, wash in billy cup and hang on pack to dry.

Keep your head covered at night, I believe 20% of your body heat escapes from your head.

Don't get caught stealing your mate's water, rations, etc. when he is asleep, he'll beat your a** if he wakes.

During breaks, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down and never remain awake when you can grab a few winks.

You don't have to practice to be miserable, man gets primative real quick and the whining only lasts a short time.

Always look busy, that way the First Sergeant won't pick you for fatigue duty.

When fording streams, if you must swim, take your clothes off and carry them in a manner so as to keep them and your powder dry. If it is cold you can warm up faster in dry clothes than in wet ones. Besides after your skin goes numb you don't feel any pain.

If you ain't bitchin' you ain't happy!!

Don't piss off the paymaster, quartermaster or doc. You'll pay!!

NEVER volunteer.

ALWAYS share your care packages with your mates, they'll do the same.

I realize some pertains to real life deployments, but most can be used at reenactments, even the care packages, if momma sent you with homemade goodies, share them.
                            Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                            (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

To reduce blisters on a march, try to toughen up your feet ahead of time. Several weeks prior to an event, take increasingly longer walks wearing your brogans, wool socks, and carrying either your loaded knapsack or some other type of pack.

Also, on the march, keep an extra pair of socks handy. At the first halt, change your socks and put the stanky ones someplace where they'll dry so that you can change back into them at the next halt.
                              James Brenner

Comment

Griping, especially about the 1st Sgt, will keep you warm.

Dont shirk unless you have at least one person nearby to blame.

Always fill your knapsack with straw during dress parade.

Never try to guess the counter sign, just sneak back through the picket line.

Dont bother cleaning your musket, if your pards is cleaner.

If it is heavy, just throw it away. The goverment HAS to give you a new one.

Dont put powder in the 1st Sgts pipe...if you are going to get caught.

Always remember "It was that way when I got here!"
                                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                                X