tang screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tang screw

The female threads of the tang hold down screw area of my AS Enfield seem to be striped. To be more specific the male threads of the screw look good, no marring or deformities in the threads. How can I access the female threads inside the stock to check if this is the case or not. Is there a way to fix this?
    The only thing I can think of that could have caused this is the swelling the stock endured at IPW in March. I had not handled my musket since I cleaned it and put it away after IPW. At a recent event the hold down screw fell out while the gun was leaning against a tree.
    I have never striped a screw on any of my fire arms. Gotta be a first time for every thing though.
    Russell L. Stanley
    Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
    Co.A 45th Mississippi
    Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
    Steelville JayBirds Mess

Re: tang screw

Remove the brass trigger guard. The tang screw threads into the iron trigger plate. If those threads are indeed stripped, replacing the plate or having a machinist weld-up the hole in the plate, dress it down, and re-thread would be the two options which occur to one.
    David Fox

Comment

Thanks
      I will look into it.
      Russell L. Stanley
      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
      Co.A 45th Mississippi
      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Remove the trigger guard and thread the screw in from the bottom. If the threads aren't too buggered it just* might* work* to clean any crud out, then try putting it back in from the top. Did that on my flintlock once.

Lincoln, Lovejoy, and Abolition!
        Charles Pinkham
        D company, Minnesota First

Comment

Working...
        X