Bayonet for 2-Band (Naval Pattern?) Parker Hale Enfield Rifle Musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayonet for 2-Band (Naval Pattern?) Parker Hale Enfield Rifle Musket

Saw this bayonet advertise by Atlanta Cutlery and was wondering if would be suitable to go with my Parker Hale 2-band rifle musket? http://www.atlantacutlery.com//p-110...d-bayonet.aspx
    Douglas K. Wozny

Re: Bayonet for 2-Band (Naval Pattern?) Parker Hale Enfield Rifle Musket

Hallo!

Shortest answer is "yes."

Shorter answer is that the RSAF late model P1858 Naval Enfield Rifle is not all that common an ACW weapon versus say the P1856 "Short" rifle (of which there is no reproduction).

But...

The repro bayonet lacks the more common black gutta percha "checkered" grips, and being an Indian repro will more than likely require some annoying "tinkering" or smithing to get it to fit on the barrel of the Enfield rifle.)

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Gee, $150 at that seems awful high for an India made sabre bayonet. And Herr Kammeraden is right on the money about the repro P-H two banded rifle (not rifle musket) being kind of farby. Parker Hale is a good piece, but it needs a fair amount of work to be a remotely similar reproduction of something with US Civil War provenance. The bayonet lug is incorrect on the P--H, so the India bayonet will probably fit it.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Douglas,

I've seen originals of this bayonet available at places such as the Horse Soldier for about as much as they're asking for a reproduction. I would think that this would be the best route to take to ensure an authentic bayonet, and truthfully it's not as if you're going to dig with it or put it into strenuous service (or even stack arms with it) so to me an original would be a natural choice.

I've been looking for a top quality Enfield rifle for years now and have time and again come up empty. The amount of work and modifications that would be needed on even a Parker Hale example is really cost prohibitive, if you can even find someone willing and capable of doing it.
        Dan Wambaugh
        Wambaugh, White, & Company
        www.wwandcompany.com
        517-303-3609
        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan

There really isn't a good reproduction of the P56 currently made. The Italians all copied P-H and they got it wrong to begin with. It was cheaper to use most of the same component parts that they were using for the P53 whether they were actually appropriate for the two band (P-56) rifle or not. For example, instead of putting the rear swivel behind the trigger guard wher it belonged, they used the P53 type trigger guard with the rear swivel there on it...and call it a P58 Naval rifle. Not too many of those P58s found on Civil War battlefields though.

It would be expensive but much better (just as with those who must have a Lorenz and for the same reason) to put a P56 together out of disassociated parts.
          Craig L Barry

Comment

Craig,

Yes, that is the conclusion I've reached as well in my quest. They just aren't out there. By the time one springs for the Dunlap stock, the Hoyt barrel, and a slew of original parts, however, you might as well have bought an original. Alas. :)
            Dan Wambaugh
            Wambaugh, White, & Company
            www.wwandcompany.com
            517-303-3609
            Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Well, you can do without it...from the photo you sent me you have a few good de-farbed muskets in your den.
              Craig L Barry

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone ever considered doing the 1860 short rifle? Barrel was the same size as the repop 1858, primary differences being the iron furniture like the 1856.
                Kind Regards,
                Andrew Jerram

Comment

Andrew,

I have a long-standing desire to have a 1860 short rifle repro'd or defarbed. There is a source for the iron furniture out there: Peter Dyson & Sons, Ltd. The ease with which it could be added to a reproduction rifle? I can't speak to that. Nevertheless, it is one of those things I hope to accomplish one day.

Best,
                  JSK
                  Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                  Yocona Rip Raps
                  "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

I have been a fan of the short Enfield rifles for a long while. Through the years I have noticed that many are found with the lugs broken off. While there is no way to determine if the lug was intentionally removed by the owner or "accidentally" broken off, if you carry one of these rifles with be bayonet attached you can understand why the lugs may have been "accidentally" broken off. It is my observation that the rifles with less wear are more likely to have the lug still attached. I have been resisting the urge to take the ball peen hammer to the lug on my Euro but I don't know how it was fastned and what it would look like removed. If anyone has broken the lug off I would appreciate knowing how the barrel surface looked under the lug. In the attached picture I have a P56 and a P58 with the lugs broken off along with my Euro. The lugs were broken off very early since the barrel patina is consistent on the mounting area. The barrel surface is smooth where they were removed. The P58 is marked with the CH/1 mark and the other has the SH&C so they both were here during the war. When I carry my Euro I don't worry about having a bayonet.

Also, I used to have a PH which an original sabre bayonet fit well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lug.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	223762
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
                    X