X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Campaigner's Manifesto and the Civilian Manifesto

THE CAMPAIGNER'S MANIFESTO
    by Col. Nicky Hughes

1. I am committed to developing and practicing the most historically accurate portrayal of a soldier of the American Civil War now possible. The only limitations I place upon the accuracy of my impression are due to a prudent concern for maintaining modern standards of health and safety, and those limitations naturally enforced by lack of information resulting from the passage of time since the Civil War.

2. I obtain the most historically accurate clothing, equipment, and other relevant items available to me. I insist upon the use of proper materials and construction techniques in all reproduction items. I handle my finances in a manner that will prevent financial considerations from limiting the accuracy of my impression.

3. I recognize that many vital aspects of Civil War soldier life - terror and wounds in combat, death on the battlefield or in the hospital, camp diseases, and much else - cannot be re-created effectively in a living history context. I do not see this failing as an excuse to be lax about other aspects of my impression, but as a challenge to insure that all I can portray is presented as accurately as possible.

4. My impression is based upon serious research into and careful analysis of reliable sources of information about the experiences of Civil War soldiers. I recognize the need to employ the historian's skills, including the ability to evaluate possible sources of information. I place considerable reliance upon documented research conducted by others, but I do not base my impression upon the claims of those who manufacture goods for the reenacting market, reenacting traditions and customs, superficial or outdated publications, entertainment media, or other suspect sources.

5. I am prepared to change my impression to incorporate improvements dictated by new historical information as it becomes available to me. I recognize that our understanding of the details of history changes over time. I welcome constructive discussion of such matters, and I share information freely.

6. I portray the Civil War soldier as my knowledge of history leads me to believe him to have been while on campaign - unencumbered by impedimenta. I limit the items I use when portraying soldiers to those items that I could reasonably expect to carry upon my person for extended periods of time under the harsh conditions experienced by Civil War soldiers. (Exceptions for cavalry, artillery, medical, some officers, and other specialized impressions are to be expected - within bounds set by historical information.) I use my research into period soldier practice to determine what equipment I should carry.

7. I usually portray the typical common soldiers who made up the great mass of men on the two sides during the Civil War. My impression may reflect regional variations in clothing and equipment and changes over time during the war. I can vary my personal impression to suit differing locations and dates of depicted events. Except in very special circumstances, however, I avoid presenting exotic impressions such as Zouaves, marines, sharpshooters, sailors, highlanders, and such.

8. Although my primary interest is in soldiers on campaign, I am able to portray soldiers in garrison or winter quarters when appropriate to a particular event, scenario, or historic site. I am willing to change my personal impression to fit various situations. I apply the same standards of historical accuracy to such portrayals that I apply to my campaign impression.

9. I maintain myself in a physical condition that allows me to portray Civil War soldiers with realism. I keep my weight at a level that honestly represents men living on period soldier food and performing period soldier duties. I am able to walk distances and perform chores required of me while depicting soldier life. I am willing to accept standards of personal hygiene and grooming consistent with soldier life in the field during the Civil War.

10. I recognize that a successful impression cannot be superficial. My objective is not to conceal modern items but to re-create a historic time and place in detail. Therefore, my impression is as accurate and complete as I can make it on every level - including all of my clothing and the contents of my pockets, knapsack, and haversack. Further, I am familiar with the material culture of the mid-19th United States in general, and not just with objects related directly to the military.

11. While portraying a Civil War soldier I eat food that simulates as closely as possible the rations available to the men in the situation being depicted. However, I do not endanger my health by consuming food known to be dangerous. I dispose of human waste in a safe manner.

12. I handle and maintain weapons in a manner intended to insure my safety and that of others around me, and which reflects period practice in a way consistent with modern safety requirements.

13. In pursuit of the complete Civil War soldier experience, I am willing to take part in accurately staged re-creations of typical military activities including marching, drill practice, army ceremonies, guard and picket duty, simulated combat, food preparation and other aspects of life on the march and in bivouac. I learn as much as I can about the details of these activities so that I can portray them realistically. If called upon to do so, I am willing to continue the living history experience around the clock during events.

14. I recognize that large-scale infantry maneuvering and combat were based upon battalion formations. For the purposes of participation at large events, I associate myself with a battalion run in a manner consistent with The Campaigner's Manifesto. I subject myself to the discipline inherent in such a military organization and participate fully in the battalion's activities during events.

15. I realize that Civil War soldiers had life experiences before the Civil War and that the lives of civilians continued through the war, affected to various degrees by it. I am committed to learning about antebellum and wartime civilian life to better understand the historical context in which soldier experiences took place, and to permit realistic interaction with serious civilian reenactors.

16. I employ first-person living history techniques whenever appropriate. I take great care to avoid behavior, language, and comments that might disrupt accurate living history activities. I strive to attain a mental attitude appropriate to the person I portray when in character.

17. I do not "hide my candle under a bushel." I take advantage of situations that allow me to share my knowledge of the realities of Civil War soldier life with fellow living history enthusiasts and with the public. I participate in living history activities, especially at smaller events, and in educational programs.

18. I see "mainstream" reenactors as potential converts to living history at higher levels of historical accuracy, and I avoid conflict with them. I conduct my relations with them in a manner consistent with the behavior expected from mid-19th century gentlemen. However, I do maintain my own high standards of excellence for portraying Civil War soldier life.

19. I limit my discussion of and participation in politics at events to that appropriate to the event historical scenario. I leave my views on current events and modern-day reenacting politics at home.

20. The greatest pleasure I derive from Civil War living history comes from the knowledge that I am re-creating the experiences of the soldiers who fought it with the greatest fidelity to history I can manage.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Translation
    Courtesy of Benedict von Bremen

Das Manifest des Campaigners (The Campaigner’s Manifesto, by Nicky Hughes)

1. Ich verpflichte mich, die zur Zeit genaueste mögliche Darstellung des Amerikanischen Bürgerkrieges zu entwickeln und zu praktizieren. Die einzigen Grenzen, die ich der Genauigkeit meiner Darstellung auferlege, sind die umsichtigen Sorge um die Beibehaltung moderner Gesundheits- und Sicherheitsstandards sowie die Beschränkungen, die durch den natürlichen Verlust von Informationen im Laufe der Zeit seit dem Bürgerkrieg entstanden sind.

2. Ich erwerbe die historisch genaueste Kleidung, Ausrüstung und andere relevante Gegenstände, die mir verfügbar sind. Ich bestehe auf die Nutzung korrekter Materialien und Konstruktionsweisen bei allen Reproduktionen. Ich gehe mit meinen Finanzen so um, dass finanzielle Bedenken die Genauigkeit meiner Darstellung nicht behindern.

3. Ich erkenne an, dass viele wichtige Aspekte des Lebens eines Bürgerkriegssoldaten – Schrecken und Wunden im Kampf, der Tod auf dem Schlachtfeld oder im Lazarett, Lagerkrankheiten und vieles andere – im Living History-Kontext nicht tatsächlich nachgestellt werden können. Ich sehe diese Schwachstelle nicht als Entschuldigung dafür an, andere Aspekte meiner Darstellung lasch anzugehen, sondern als Herausforderung, sicher zu gehen, all das, was ich darstellen kann, so korrekt wie möglich darzustellen.

4. Meine Darstellung basiert auf ernsthafter Nachforschung und sorgfältiger Analyse von zuverlässigen Informationsquellen über die Erfahrungen von Soldaten des Bürgerkrieges. Ich erkenne die Notwendigkeit an, die Fertigkeiten des Historikers einzusetzen, einschließlich der Fähigkeit, mögliche Quellen zu bewerten. Ich verlasse mich insbesondere auf die von anderen durchgeführte dokumentierte Nachforschung, aber ich basiere meine Darstellung nicht auf Behauptungen derer, die Produkte für den Reenactment-Markt herstellen, sowie nicht auf Reenactment-Traditionen und –Gebräuche, oberflächliche oder überholte Publikationen, Unterhaltungsmedien oder andere suspekte Quellen.

5. Ich bin bereit, meine Darstellung zu ändern und Verbesserungen auf Grund neuer historischer Informationen einzubinden, sobald sie mir erhältlich werden. Ich erkenne an, dass unser Verständnis der geschichtlichen Details im Laufe der Zeit Änderungen unterworfen ist. Ich begrüße konstruktive Diskussionen bezüglich dieser Dinge und teile Informationen bereitwillig.

6. Ich stelle den Soldaten des Bürgerkrieges so dar, wie mich mein geschichtliches Wissen dazu führt zu glauben, wie er im Felde („on campaign“) war – befreit von überflüssigem Ballast. Ich beschränke die von mir bei der Darstellung von Soldaten benutzten Gegenstände auf diejenigen, von denen vernünftigerweise angenommen werden kann, dass ich sie in einem umfassenden Zeitraum unter den rauen Bedingungen, die von den Bürgerkriegssoldaten durchgemacht wurden, tragen kann. (Ausnahmen für Kavallerie, Artillerie, medizinisches Personal, einige Offizers- und andere spezialisierte Darstellungen sind zu erwarten – innerhalb der durch historische Informationen gesetzten Grenzen.) Ich benutze meine Nachforschungen bezüglich der zeitgenössischen Soldatenpraktiken, um herauszufinden, welche Ausrüstung ich tragne sollte.

7. Ich stelle normalerweise den typischen gemeinen Soldaten dar, welcher den Großteil der Männer auf beiden Seiten während des Bürgerkrieges ausmachte. Meine Darstellung mag regionale Unterschiede bezüglich Kleidung und Ausrüstung sowie Veränderungen im Laufe der Zeit des Bürgerkrieges widerspiegeln. Ich kann meine persönliche Darstellung verändern, um sich den verschiedenen Schauplätze und Zeiten der dargestellten Ereignisse anzupassen. Ich vermeide es dennoch, abgesehen von sehr besonderen Umständen, exotische Darstellungen wie Zouaven, Marines, Scharfschützen, Matrosen, Hochländer und ähnliches zu präsentieren.

8. Auch wenn mein primäres Interesse in Soldaten im Felde liegt, so bin ich doch befähigt, Soldaten in der Kaserne und im Winterquartier darzustellen, wenn es bei einem speziellen Event, Szenario oder an historischer Stätte angemessen ist. Ich bin bereit, meine persönliche Darstellung verschiedenen Situationen anzupassen. Ich wende bei solchen Darstellungen dieselben Standards bezüglich historischer Genauigkeit an, wie ich sie bei meiner Campaign-Darstellung anwende.

9. Ich unterhalte meine physische Kondition in einem solchen Zustand, dass ich die Soldaten des Bürgerkrieges realistisch darstellen kann. Ich halte mein Gewicht auf auf einem Niveau, das wirklich Männer widerspiegelt, die von zeitgenössischem Soldatenessen leben und zeitgenössische Soldatenpflichten erledigen.Ich bin fähig, während der Darstellung des Soldatenlebens gewisse Enfernungen zu laufen und von mir geforderte soldatische Routinearbeiten durchzuführen. Ich akzeptiere bereitwillig Standards bezüglich persönlicher Hygiene und Aussehens, die mit dem Soldatenleben im Felde während des Krieges übereinstimmen.

10. Ich erkenne an, dass eine erfolgreiche Darstellung nicht oberflächlich sein kann. Mein Ziel ist es nicht, moderne Gegenstände zu verbergen, sondern eine historische Zeit und Örtlichkeit detailgenau nachzustellen. Daher ist meine Darstellung auf jeder Ebene so genau und komplett wie möglich – einschließlich meiner gesamten Kleidung und dem Inhalt meiner Taschen, meines Tornister und meines Brotbeutels. Darüber hinaus kenne ich mich mit der materiellen Kultur der Vereinigten Staaten zur Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts im Allgemeinen aus und nicht nur mit Objekten, die direkt mit dem Militär zu tun haben.

11. Während der Darstellung eines Bürgerkriegssoldaten nehme ich Essen zu mir, dass so genau wie möglich die Rationen nachahmt, die den Männern in der jeweils dargstellten Situation zur Verfügung standen. Trotzdem gefährde ich meine Gesundheit nicht durch den Konsum von Lebensmittel, von denen bekannt ist, dass sie schädlich sind. Ich entsorge menschlichen Exkremente auf eine sichere Weise.

12. Ich benutze und erhalte Waffen auf eine Weise, die meine Sicherheit und die anderer, die um mich sind, schützt sowie eine zeitgenössische Handhabe widerspiegelt, die mit modernen Sicherheitsregularien übereinstimmt.

13. In der Verfolgung der vollständigen Erfahrung eines Bürgerkriegssoldaten bin ich bereit, in genau abgehaltenen Nachstellungen typischer militärischer Aktivitäten einschließlich Marschieren, Exerzieren, militärischen Zeremonien, Wach- und Vorpostendiensten, nachgestelltem Kampfhandlungen, Essenszubereitung und anderen Aspekten des Lebens auf dem Marsch und im Biwak teilzunehmen. Ich lerne soviel wie möglich über die Details dieser Aktivitäten, so dass ich sie realistisch darstellen kann. Wenn es sein muss, bin ich bereit, die Erfahrung der Living History auf Events rund um die Uhr weiter zu führen.

14. Ich erkenne an, dass umfangreiche Infanteriebewegungen und Kampf auf Battalionsformationen beruhten. In der Absicht, an großen Events teilzunehmen, schließe ich mich einem Battalion an, dass konsequent im Geiste des Campaigner-Manifests geführt wird. Ich unterwerfe mich der Disziplin, die einer solchen militärischen Organisation eigen ist, und nehme völlständig an den Aktivitäten des Battalions während eines Events teil.

15. Ich bin mir bewusst, dass die Soldaten des Bürgerkrieges Lebenserfahrungen vor dem Bürgerkrieg hatten und dass die Leben von Zivilisten während des Krieges und auf unterschiedliche Weise durch ihn beeinflusst weitergingen. Ich verpflichte mich, über das zivile Leben vor und während des Krieges zu lernen, um besser den historischen Kontext zu verstehen, in dem die soldatische Erfahrung stattfand, sowie um eine realistische Interaktion mit Reenactorn, die eine ernsthafte Zivildarstellung verfolgen, zu gestatten.

16. Ich benutze Verfahren der First Person Living History, wenn es angemessen ist. Ich passe sehr darauf auf, Verhalten, Sprache und Kommentare zu vermeiden, die genaue Living History-Aktivitäten stören könnten. Ich strebe nach dem Erreichen einer geistigen Einstellung, die der von mir dargestellten Person angemessen ist, wenn ich „in character“ bin.

17. Ich stelle mein Licht nicht unter den Scheffel. Ich nutze den Vorteil von Situationen aus, die es mir erlauben, mein Wissen über die Tatsachen des Lebens eines Bürgerkriegssoldaten mit anderen Living History-Enthusiasten und der Öffentlichkeit zu teilen. Ich nehme an Living History-Aktivitäten, insbesondere bei kleineren Events, sowie Pädagogikprogrammen teil.

18. Ich sehe „Mainstream“-Reenactor als potenzielle Konvertiten zur Living History auf höheren Ebenen der historischen Genauigkeit an und vermeide Konflikte mit ihnen. Ich verhalte mich ihnen gegenüber auf eine solch angemessene Weise, wie sie von Gentelemen um die Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts erwartet wird. Nichtsdestotrotz behaupte ich meine eigenen hohen Richtlinien bezüglich der Darstellung des Lebens eines Bürgerkriegssoldaten.

19. Ich beschränke auf Events meine Diskussion über und Beteiligung an Politik auf dem Szenario des Events historisch angemessen Weise. Ich lasse meine Meinung über aktuelle Ereignisse und heutige Reenactment-„Politik“ zu Hause.

20. Die größte Freude, die ich aus der Bürgerkriegs-Living History ziehe, entstammt dem Wissen, dass ich die Erfahrungen der Soldaten, die damals kämpften, so geschichtsgetreu wie möglich nachstelle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    French Translation Courtesy of William Miconnet

by Nicky Hughes

1. Je m’engage au développement et la réalisation de la représentation la plus historiquement précise d'un soldat de la Guerre civile américaine tel qu’elle est maintenant possible.
    Les seules limitations que je place à l'exactitude de mon impression sont en raison de la préoccupation prudente pour maintenir les normes modernes de santé et de sécurité, ces limitations naturellement mises en application par le manque d'informations résultant du temps passé depuis la Guerre civile.

2. J'obtiens les vêtements les plus historiquement précis, l'équipement et d'autres articles appropriés disponibles pour moi.
    J'insiste sur l'utilisation de matériels appropriés et des techniques de construction dans tous les articles de reproduction.
    Je gère mes finances d’une façon qui empêchera des considérations financières de limiter l'exactitude de mon impression.

3. Je reconnais que beaucoup d'aspects vitaux de la vie du soldat de la Guerre civile, la terreur et les blessures des combats, la mort sur le champ de bataille ou à l'hôpital, les maladies de camp et beaucoup d’autres ne peuvent pas être recréés efficacement dans un contexte d'histoire vivant.
    Je ne vois pas ce fait comme une excuse pour être mou sur d'autres aspects de mon impression, mais comme un défi pour m'assurer que tout ce que je peux dépeindre est présenté soit aussi précis que possible.

4. Mon impression est basée sur des recherches sérieuses et sur l'analyse prudente des sources fiables d'informations sur les expériences des soldats de la Guerre civile.
    Je reconnais le besoin d'employer des compétences d'historien, y compris dans la capacité à évaluer toutes les sources possibles d'informations.
    Je place une confiance considérable dans la recherche documentée conduite par d'autres, mais je ne base pas mon impression sur les conseils de ceux d’entre eux qui fabriquent des marchandises pour le marché de la reconstitution, des habitudes de reconstitution, les coutumes, le superficiel, les publications hasardeuses, les médias de divertissement, ou d'autres sources suspectes.

5. Je suis préparé à changer mon impression et prés à y incorporer des améliorations dictées par de nouvelles informations historiques quand cela devient disponible pour moi.
    Je reconnais que notre compréhension des détails historiques change avec le temps.
    J'accueille la discussion constructive sur ces questions et je partage mes informations librement.

6. Je dépeins le soldat de Guerre civile comme ma connaissance historique m’amène à le croire pour l’avoir pratiqué en campagne non encombrée par des choses inutiles.
    Je limite les articles que j'utilise en dépeignant des soldats à des articles que je pourrais raisonnablement transporter pendant des périodes prolongées de temps dans les conditions dures vécues par les soldats de Guerre civile (des Exceptions pour la cavalerie, l'artillerie, le médicale corp, quelques officiers et d'autres impressions spécialisées doivent être attendues, dans les limites fixées par les informations historiques) j'utilise la recherche pour la mise en pratique de mon rôle de soldat de la période définie pour déterminer quel équipement je devrais porter.

7. Je dépeins d'habitude des soldats typiques qui ont composé la grande masse des hommes des deux camps pendant la Guerre civile.
    Mon impression peut refléter des variations régionales dans les vêtements et l'équipement, et des changements par rapport à période de la guerre.
    Je peux varier mon impression personnelle pour convenir aux différents événements et dates que les événements dépeignent.
    Sauf dans des circonstances très spéciales, cependant, j'évite de présenter des impressions exotiques comme Zouaves, Fusiliers marins, tireurs d'élite, marins, montagnards, etc.

8. Bien que mon intérêt principal soit la vie du soldat en campagne, je suis capable de dépeindre celle du soldat en garnison ou en quartier d'hiver quand c'est nécessaire à un événement particulier, un scénario, ou un site historique.
    Je suis enclin à changer mon impression personnelle pour m’adapter à des situations diverses et particulières.
    J'applique les mêmes normes d'exactitude historique à de telles représentations que celles que j'applique à mon impression en campagne.

9. Je me maintiens en bonne condition physique ce qui me permet de dépeindre des soldats de la Guerre civile avec réalisme.
    Je garde mon poids à un niveau qui représente honnêtement des hommes vivant avec l'alimentation de soldat de la période et pour accomplir des taches et des devoirs de soldat de manières performantes.
    Je suis capable de marcher sur de longues distances et d’exécuter des tâches exigées de moi en dépeignant la vie du soldat.
    Je suis enclin à accepter les normes standard de l’hygiène corporelle et les soins compatibles avec la vie du soldat en campagne pendant la Guerre civile.

10. Je reconnais qu'une impression réussie ne peut pas être superficielle. Mon objectif n'est pas de dissimuler des articles modernes, mais de recréer un moment historique et une impression ou un lieu avec détails.
    Donc, mon impression est aussi précise et complète que possible à chaque niveau et sur chaque détail, incluant tous mes vêtements et le contenu de mes poches, sac à dos et musette.
    Pour aller plus loin, je suis familier avec la culture du milieu du 19ème siècle et des États-Unis en général et non juste avec des objets liés directement à la vie militaire.

11. En dépeignant un soldat de Guerre civile je mange l'alimentation qui correspond aussi étroitement que possible aux rations disponibles pour les hommes dans la situation étant dépeinte.
    Cependant, je ne mets pas en danger ma santé avec de l'alimentation connue pour être dangereuse.
    Je dissimule mes déchets humains de manière sûre.

12. Je manipule et maintiens les armes de façon à assurer ma sécurité et celle des autres autour de moi, je fais en sorte qu’elles reflètent la réalité historique de manière compatible avec les exigences modernes de sécurité.

13. Pour une poursuite de l'expérience d’un soldat de la Guerre civile qui soit complète, je suis enclin à participer aux reconstitutions précisément mises en scène d'activités militaires typiques incluant la marche, la pratique d’exercices militaires, des cérémonies, des parades, de la garde, du combat simulé, la préparation alimentaire et d'autres aspects de vie en campagne et en bivouac.
    J'apprends autant que je peux les détails de ces activités pour que je puisse les dépeindre avec réalisme.
    Si je suis appelé à faire ainsi, je suis enclin à continuer l'expérience d'histoire vivante 24 heures sur 24 pendant événements.

14. Je reconnais que la manoeuvre d'infanterie à grande échelle et le combat ont été basés sur des formations de bataillon.
    Dans le but de participer à de grands événements, je m'associe avec un bataillon dirigé d’une façon compatible et en accord avec le Manifeste du Militant.
    Je me soumets à la discipline inhérente à une organisation militaire et participe entièrement aux activités du bataillon pendant les événements.

15. Je me rends compte que les soldats de la Guerre civile avaient des expériences de vie avant la guerre et que les vies des civils ont continué pendant la guerre, affectées à des degrés divers par celle si.
    Je m’engage à l'étude de la vie civile d'avant et de pendant la guerre, pour mieux comprendre le contexte historique dans lequel les expériences de soldat ont eu lieu et ainsi permettre une interaction réaliste avec des reconstitueurs civils sérieux.

16. J'emploie la première personne vivant des techniques de l’histoire, chaque fois que cela est approprié.
    Je prends grand soin à éviter un comportement, un langage et des commentaires modernes qui pourraient perturber les activités d'histoire vivantes.
    Je m'efforce d'atteindre une attitude mentale appropriée à la personne que je dépeins.

17. Je "ne cache pas ma bougie sous un boisseau." Je profite des situations qui me permettent de partager mes connaissances des faits sur la vie du soldat de la Guerre civile avec le camarade enthousiasmé par l'histoire et avec le public.
    Je participe aux activités d'histoire vivantes, particulièrement aux événements plus petits et à des programmes éducatifs.

18. Je vois "le courant dominant" comme un potentiel à convertir à l’histoire vivante et à tirer aux niveaux au dessus en matière d'exactitude historique et j'évite le conflit avec eux.
    Je conduis mes relations avec eux d’une façon compatible et en accord avec le comportement attendu de messieurs du milieu du 19ème siècle. Cependant, je garde absolument mes normes propres élevées d'excellence pour dépeindre la vie du soldat de Guerre civile.

19. Je limite ma conversation et ma participation à la politique au niveau approprié par l'événement dans le respect du scénario historique.
    Je laisse mes avis sur l'actualité et mes opinions politiques modernes à la maison.

20. Le plaisir le plus grand que je tire de l'histoire vivante de la guerre civile, vient de la connaissance qui me sert à recrées et à vivre les expériences des soldats qui ont combattu pendant la guerre civile avec la plus grande fidélité historique possible.

The Authentic Civilian's Manifesto

By Susan Lyons Hughs

1. I am committed to developing and practicing the most historically accurate portrayal of a civilian during the American Civil War now possible, INDEPENDENT OF MY HUSBAND/SPOUSE/SIGNIFICANT OTHER.

2. The only limitations I place upon the accuracy of my impression are due to a prudent concern for maintaining modern standards of health and safety, and those limitations naturally enforced by lack of information resulting from the passage of time since the Civil War.

3. I obtain the most historically accurate clothing, equipment, and other relevant items available to me. I insist upon the use of proper materials and construction techniques in all reproduction items. I handle my finances in a manner that will prevent financial considerations from limiting the accuracy of my impression.

4. I recognize that many vital aspects of Civil War civilian life - terror and wounds on a battlefield near my home, the sights of death on the battlefield or in the hospital, diseases, and much else - cannot be re-created effectively in a living history context. I do not see this failing as an excuse to be lax about other aspects of my impression, but as a challenge to insure that all I can portray is presented as accurately as possible.

5. My impression is based upon serious research into and careful analysis of reliable sources of information about the experiences of civilians during the mid-19th Century. I recognize the need to employ the historian's skills, including the ability to evaluate possible sources of information. I place considerable reliance upon documented research conducted by others, but I do not base my impression upon the claims of those who manufacture goods for the reenacting market, reenacting traditions and customs, superficial or outdated publications, entertainment media, or other suspect sources.

6. I am prepared to change my impression to incorporate improvements dictated by new historical information as it becomes available to me. I recognize that our understanding of the details of history changes over time. I welcome constructive discussion of such matters, and I share information freely.

7. I portray the Civil War civilian as my knowledge of history leads me to believe is accurate for a particular scenario. This may include altering my impression, depending upon the event scenario, and I am willing to do the research to create an impression that is accurate for the time and place being portrayed. My impression may reflect regional variations in clothing and equipment and changes over time during the war. I can vary my personal impression to suit differing locations and dates of depicted events.

8. I recognize that for the vast majority of civilians during the Civil War, the impact of the war was felt "at home," and that to re-create civilian life accurately, opportunities for civilian activities at traditional battle reenactments will often be limited. I am committed to developing living history opportunities at venues besides traditional battle reenactments in order to more accurately portray the lives of civilians. This does not mean that I cannot or will not attend battle reenactments, but that I will not try to impose an inaccurate civilian presence at a military scenario when it is not appropriate.

9. I recognize that a successful impression cannot be superficial. My objective is not to conceal modern items but to re-create a historic time and place in detail. Therefore, my impression is as accurate and complete as I can make it on every level - including all of my clothing and the contents of my pockets, carpetbags, &c. Further, I am familiar with the material culture of the mid-19th United States in general, and not just with objects related directly to the military, or to objects related to civilians who may have been associated with the military.

10. While portraying a Civil War civilian I eat food that simulates as closely as possible the food available to the people in the situation being depicted, which includes food which might have been in season as well as available in the region. However, I do not endanger my health by consuming food known to be dangerous. I dispose of human waste in a safe manner.

11. In pursuit of the complete Civil War civilian experience, I am willing to take part in accurately staged scenarios that accurately reflect activities of the period. I learn as much as I can about the details of these activities so that I can portray them realistically. If called upon to do so, I am willing to continue the living history experience around the clock during events.

12. I am committed to learning about antebellum and wartime civilian life to better understand the historical context of the mid-19th century, and to engage in realistic interaction with serious military reenactors that are appropriate to the time and place. I will not live in the military camps, and I will enter the military camps only with an escort, and only with a period-appropriate reason for doing so. I will base my interaction with military reenactors upon historic research appropriate to the scenario time and place being depicted.

13. I employ first-person living history techniques whenever appropriate. I take great care to avoid behavior, language, and comments that might disrupt accurate living history activities. I strive to attain a mental attitude appropriate to the person I portray when in character.

14. I do not "hide my candle under a bushel." I take advantage of situations that allow me to share my knowledge of the realities of Civil War civilian life with fellow living history enthusiasts and with the public. I participate in living history activities, especially at smaller events, and in educational programs.

15. I see "mainstream" reenactors as potential converts to living history at higher levels of historical accuracy, and I avoid conflict with them. I conduct my relations with them in a manner consistent with the behavior expected from mid-19th century gentlemen and ladies. However, I do maintain my own high standards of excellence for portraying Civil War civilian life.

16. I limit my discussion of and participation in politics at events to that appropriate to the event historical scenario. I leave my views on current events and modern-day reenacting politics at home.

17. The greatest pleasure I derive from Civil War living history comes from the knowledge that I am re-creating the experiences of the civilians who lived during the Civil War with the greatest fidelity to history I can manage.
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Re: The Campaigner's Manifesto and the Civilian Manifesto

I believe it is time to bump this one back up too.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

It have also been modified to a version fitting to the Napoleonic wars... :-)
      Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Just came across this, what a great set of standards! I agree Tyler, time to bump!
        Brandon Delvo

Comment

Working...
        X