Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Havelock Pattern

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a pattern for a havelock? I've been searching for quite a while and can't find anything.

Take care,
    Bill Backus

Re: Havelock Pattern

Bill,

You may find the following somewhat helpful:

DAILY ADVOCATE [BATON ROUGE, LA], May 29, 1861, p. 2, c. 5
    Havelocks.—The best article of soldiers' clothing ever invented is the one named after Gen. Havelock, from the circumstance that he introduced it into the English army in India. When made of suitable materials, it is a protection against heat, cold and rain. It can be furnished at so low a price that every one can be carried in the pocket, when not wanted on the head, and when required can be adjusted upon the fatigue cap in less than a minute. Havelocks can be furnished in large quantities to the army, by the aid of the sewing machine, made of good twilled cotton, which will be almost impervious to rain, at 12½ cents each; made of stout white linen, at 25 cents each, and of good white flannel, for 30 cents each. For wet weather they may be made of water-proof fabrics, and for winter old gray flannel or thicker cloth, as they probably will be by the Seamless Garment Company.
    To enable any family to get up these valuable protectors of the head and neck for home use, or for those going from home to serve their country in the tented field, instead of the hay field, we give the following dimensions and descriptions:
    There is a crown piece five inches across. The head piece is three and a half inches wide at each end, and five inches in the centre, stitched to the crown, with the ends stitched together in front, with a visor two inches deep in the center and eleven inches in extreme length, where it is stitched to the head piece. Then a cape six and a half inches deep, cut circular, is stitched to the back of the head piece, extending from one point to the other of the visor. Over this seam inside is stitched a tape easing for a double draw string to pucker it to suit different sized heads. The visor is made double, and open inside, so that the leather visor of a common fatigue cap can be inserted, as the Havelock is thrown over it, which can be done while on the march almost instantly. The inner edge of the under part of the visor is hemmed, and the front edge stitched, and the outer edge of the cape hemmed. The whole work can be done by the sewing machine, and the pieces cut by patterns or machinery, so that the articles can be furnished with immense rapidity.

See http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/baton_...y_advocate.htm for transcript.
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

I think I have one here you can have. I'll make a copy and give it to Drew, I'm sure you'll see him before I see you.
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Bill,
        Found that havelock pattern. I haven't seen it since my move in 2007 so this was quit a hunt!

Anyway, let me know where you want me to send the copy and I'll get it to you.

If anyone else gearing up for the 2011 events is looking for a havelock pattern, send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll get this to you. I can't promise speedy delivery, but you'll get it. I don't have directions, but it's only three pieces, it's not rocket science.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

CJDaley-Thank You for your offer. Please put me on your list for a copy. I will send you an s.a.s.e. just a taught-make an extra one out of painted cloth for rain ware. Thank You, Conley Sluss

Comment

Mr. Daley, I will be sending you a SASE. Is there a good source for twilled cotton out there, or a equivalent substitute? I live in area with limited resources for sewing and material needs.
            Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
            49th Ohio
            Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Working...
            X