Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early War Pleated Confederate Frockcoat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early War Pleated Confederate Frockcoat.

Gents,

I have looked around the site but have not been able to come up with any information, so I thought you fellows would be able to help.
    I am looking for a picture of the early war Confederate frock with pleating going all way round the entire jacket, and the picture can be either of an original or reproduction, as long as the picture is clear enough to show the detail of the coat. If someone could post a picture, or point me in the correct direction to finding one I would be much obliged.

Regards, John Shouse.
    [I]Captain John Jarrett[/I]

Re: Early War Pleated Confederate Frockcoat.

Getty Images Deutschland. Finden Sie hochauflösende lizenzfreie Bilder, Bilder zur redaktionellen Verwendung, Vektorgrafiken, Videoclips und Musik zur Lizenzierung in der umfangreichsten Fotobibliothek online.

Confederate Echoes of Glory, p. 91. Simon Bolivar Buckner's frock. A quick discussion about same : http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=4161.0
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

John,

I see that you are from KY. The coat above is in Bardstown. Drive over and take a look.
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

I may be mistaken, but I think the coat (Buckner's) above is in the MOC collection, while one like it is in the collection in the Civil War Museum in Bardstown.
        Matthew Rector

Comment

Rector, you are probably correct. That being said, there is one extremely similar in Bardstown that he should look at.

JER
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

The coat resembles the hunting frocks used by some early SC Troops.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

These "hunting" or "Swiss" style coats have been discussed. They aren't necessarily just early war and were adopted by officers of both armies: the statue of John Buford on the western edge of the Gettysburg battlefield portrays him in one. In 1872 the style was (briefly) adopted by the U.S. Army. The men tended to sew the pleats flat.
              David Fox

Comment

If my memory serves me right around the time of Bummers there was an original picture of the Georgia Militia on the event site and one of those fellers was wearing a pleated frock.
                Last edited by rebelfirefighter07; 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM. Reason: can't spell this morning
                Captain Andy Witt
                52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
                Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Gents,

Many thanks for all your reply's. Bardstown is only a 30 minute drive from home, so will need to pack up my Dad and head on over to the museum. Hope everyone is having/had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Regards, John Shouse.
                  [I]Captain John Jarrett[/I]

Comment

Working...
                  X