Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cartridge paper sizes

Originally posted by 44 Henry View Post
    I use my Springfield 1842 for early war events. What kind of paper did they use to make the paper cartridges from? I have always thought that the paper would have been "rag paper" and not wood plup paper. I think that process for wood plup paper came about in the 1850s in Europe but was not in wide spread production until after the Civil War. However in doing a little research I have not been able to come up with the definitive answer as to what paper would have been used. Thanks for any information concerning the type of paper. What paper do most of you use for making cartridges from? I have use plain newsprint paper but feel this is not the most authentic paper I could use.
    i use whats called masking paper by 3m it comes in a 12"X180' roll for about four dollars. and been told and read it's the best paper to use.
    Your most humble and obedient servant,
    Erik W Creekmore,
    2nd Col Vol Inf.

Sgt Major, Territorial Battalion.

Comment

Re: Cartridge paper sizes

Originally posted by 44 Henry View Post
      The vendor is not an approved vendor so I can not mention it. However a search on the internet would reveal several sources. The price is expensive but then we all know that authenticity is expensive. You are not going to buy an authentic sack coat for $50. Some rough calculations bring the cost per round made from “rag paper” at around 60 cents for the paper cartridge, add to that the powder and cap. That brings the cost to what some are paying to reenact with a Spencer or Henry rifle. How expensive is too expensive is a question that each person will have to answer for himself? The correct size for the paper used is as impprtant as using the correct paper.
      Thank you for your reply. I agree, authenticity comes with a price tag.
      Andy Mouradian
      JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
      X