Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving Originals

Hello All,

I tried the search feature for this one, but didn't come up with much. If I did happen to miss a previous thread, I apologize and will head off in the direction pointed out!

Anyway, I recently acquired an original federal knapsack, late war I believe, and I want to make sure that I can preserve it for the generations to come. It has some spots of dry rot that were there when I got it, and while I am aware that there isn't anything I can do to undue that, I was wondering if there was any further advice on how to prevent more damage from occurring. Is it all about the means of storage, or is there more I can do?

Any info will be appreciated, and I hope others with originals may be able to find a thing or two in here to help them out as well.

Thank you,

Bridger
    Bridger Zadina
    Fighting Boys Mess

Proud Descendant of:

Franklin R. Brookshire
    2nd Lt. Co. H, 2nd Mississippi
    Killed in Action at Gains Mill, Virginia

James B. Brookshire
    Pvt. Co. H, 2nd Mississippi
    Wounded at Sharpsburg, Maryland

Re: Preserving Originals

Bridger,
    Check out the archival sites of Gaylord Brothers and University Products. These sites ought to have a product that I have used in the past with success on damaged leather called "Cellugel". This product along with some of the buffered, acid-free corrugated storage boxes and some acid free tissue paper to roll and place in the inside of the knapsack will help preserve it for some time.

The first thing I would suggest is to treat the leather with the cellugel and let it 'cure'. next open up the knapsack and take rolls or balls of the acid free tissue paper and pack lightly inside the knapsack so that there aren't any creases in the cloth when you pack it away. Then prepare the box for storage. Take the box, line it with the acid free tissue paper in a manner to provide additional support to the bottom of the knapsack when it is placed in the box. The main thing to remember when you pack away the artifact is to try to keep as little contact between parts of the artifact as possible, meaning: between the two pockets of the knapsack there ought to be an acid free paper buffer and between the leather straps and the knapsack there ought to be an acid free buffer.

Keep the box in a climate controlled area, away from moisture and you should be all set.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Good luck with this project. Most of the U.S. double bag knapsacks extact likely came from Bannerman's Island, where they spent decades in huge, compacted piles ceiling-high. If you've got one where the treated cloth isn't weak or torn or the leather fragile as damp cardboard, you've got a start. Back at the time of the Centennial these, usually with 1864 inspectors' stamps, were available at give-away prices (Unissued U.S. cap boxes ran up to $3.50). We tried using these knapsacks in reenactments...many of of my accoutrement then were originial. Different times. Even 50 years ago they were pretty far gone.
      David Fox

Comment

Mr. Mobley, thank you for the lead. These sites are really helpful, I appreciate it.

Mr. Fox - My grandfather remembers the Centennial and buying an original nearly mint condition McClellan saddle for $20. The times have definitely changed...
        Bridger Zadina
        Fighting Boys Mess

Proud Descendant of:

Franklin R. Brookshire
        2nd Lt. Co. H, 2nd Mississippi
        Killed in Action at Gains Mill, Virginia

James B. Brookshire
        Pvt. Co. H, 2nd Mississippi
        Wounded at Sharpsburg, Maryland

Comment

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I agree with Vuhginyuh's link. More specifically here:

Keep in mind that the best thing to do is nothing, simply preserve the item in an area of reasonable humidity (50% - 60%) and out of direct sunlight. I have no experience with Cellugel but it does look interesting however I personally would not recommend it's use - no offense to Brother ohpkirk but there are too many goops recommended by those with limited experience or a dollar to make, I am sure that ohpkirk does not fit with that sometimes less than honest group. I do like his recommendation of the acid free tissue paper but stress the stable humidity and sunlight controlled storage.
            Thomas Pare Hern
            Co. A, 4th Virginia
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Mr. Hern,
              My recommendation stems from me being a curator within the Texas Historical Commission with over 15 years experience handling and preserving artifacts.
              Last edited by ohpkirk; 11-30-2010, 12:31 PM.
              Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
              Texas State Troops

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Please, I'm sorry if you take offense at my statements, your credentials, now that they are known, seem impressive. What is Cellugel composed of? I am sorry, but I have seen too many leather items destroyed when using the "latest" and "best" or "the old stand-by". Since it seems to be used in preservation of leather bound books, what amount is required for a larger and thicker piece of leather like that used for the straps on a knapsack? As I am sure you will agree, the least possible to stabilize is the best treatment.
                Thomas Pare Hern
                Co. A, 4th Virginia
                Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Not to step on Mr. Mobley's posts, but Cellugel is a very benign consolidant that has been used by conservators for years. It is essentially cellulose ethers suspended in isopropyl alcohol (which will not stain the leather when it dries). It stops the powdering and flaking of leather and consolidates the degraded surface without penetrating the structure of the leather. It's also very good for the suspension of the book condition known as "red rot."

Regards,
                  Eric (Archivist for eleven years)
                  Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Cellugel is composed of cellulose ethers that work to consolidate the powdery or deteriorating areas of the leather. The amount necessary would be determinant of the degree of red rot on the artifact. If the artifact is severely damaged; there is very little that this product would be able to do for it. It is more of a topical treatment for lesser affected areas of red rot, than a miracle cure-all.

I wouldn't suggest slathering on a large amount in any one application. Several applications over the course of several days may be necessary...again, this is without seeing the artifact in person and being able to visually determine to what degree of conservation is feasible.
                    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                    Texas State Troops

Wanted.

Comment

Hallo!

I would just add...

Avoid any application of large amounts of anything remotely "liquid." It can be absorbed by the dried skin cells in the leather and "blow them out," making them rupture and fall apart worse than "natural" age rot of the tanned leather.

And, I assume it is a given...

Do not try to "restore" the knapsack and actually use it. ;) :)

Thanks for the memories of the old Bannerman "late War" knapsacks that looked like giant squished prunes with a strap or two sticking out here and there. :)

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you Eric and Cody, it sounds like it will do no harm and that under the correct circumstances will be beneficial. We all, and that includes me, have to remember that when we recommend something for use, that we should make clearly known any limitations the product may have and how and when to use it properly. Unfortunately there are too many products touted that simply will cause more harm than good if used or not used properly. How many times have we heard quoted that a well known leather treatment (that will remain nameless) is "used by the Smithsonian and museums everywhere" so it must be the best. Balderdash..... Thanks for telling us about Cellugel.
                        Thomas Pare Hern
                        Co. A, 4th Virginia
                        Stonewall Brigade

Comment

And Curt, an excellent reminder.
                          Thomas Pare Hern
                          Co. A, 4th Virginia
                          Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
                          X