Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copies of Southern Newspapers

Gents,

Does anyone have a source for reproduction copies of southern newspapers during the war? I am looking in particular for copies of the Macon Telegraph, Savannah Republican, etc.

I am planning to go to the University of Georgia's archives and look through microfilm, but I thought I would ask here and see if there was any information available.

Regards,
    Robert Saye

Saye Leatherwork
    Widow Makers Mess
    Armory Guards Associate

Re: Copies of Southern Newspapers

I, too, would love to know if there are repro copies of any of those newspapers; however, I seem to recall a discussion here or on the CW Forum about the dearth of qood quality repro newspapers from the war period, due to vendor difficulty in procuring the correct type and size of paper, perceived demand, profit margin, etc.

You can access some Georgia newspapers from the war period, including the Macon Telegraph, here - http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/Institutions/gnp.html - although I suspect you may already have been familiar with that site. When preparing for the Westville event, I used that site to peruse a great many Atlanta newspaper articles to get a better sense of what was being reported in 1863 in and around Georgia. It saved me a trip to the archives.

Best of luck in your search and if I come across anything that may be of help, I will pass it along.

Regards,

Thomas Federico
    Atlanta, Georgia
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Thomas Michael Federico, Esq.[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Copies of Southern Newspapers

Thomas,

I am familiar with Galileo, I've been digging through it for a while now. I have found a lot of good information, but I would like to have the information in the original context/form.

Thanks for the help and I will gladly do the same.
      Robert Saye

Saye Leatherwork
      Widow Makers Mess
      Armory Guards Associate

Comment

Working...
      X