Officer "blocks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer "blocks"

I did a quick search and couldn't pull up where I thought I saw it before. A buddy and I are putting together officer's impressions to form a company for an event a ways down the road. I have read about the sets of wooden blocks used when learning the manuals to simulate troop movements. Does anyone know what exactly these looked like or consisted of. I'm looking to try and reproduce some for that purpose when studying the manual. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jake.koch; 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM.
    Jake Koch
    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Re: Officer "blocks"

I never read a period reference to that but but have seen others and have used blocks myself. Please let me know your reference.

Thanks,
    Rob Weber

Comment

Let me rephrase my statement, I remember reading a thread on here that discussed them, I have not read of them in a primary source that I can remember( I didn't mean to imply that). I am just looking for suggestions as to how make these to assist with studying the manual. I'm a visual learner so the blocks seem like a better way to learn for me.
      Jake Koch
      The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
      https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
      -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
      -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

I have been reviewing this thread and just returned from Olustee and am checking on what additional information has been posted but found out that several of the comments are no longer here. Will someone please let me know what happend or how I may see all of the post?

Respectfully,

Jim
        Jim Busby
        Walton Guards
        Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
        Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
        Co C 3rd US Inf
        www.waltonguards.org

Comment

Mr Busby

I thought the same thing at first but actually the longer thread is over on the CW Reenactors Forum.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Thank you. It's been a long weekend.
            Jim Busby
            Walton Guards
            Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
            Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
            Co C 3rd US Inf
            www.waltonguards.org

Comment

Gotcha. I have always used these as a tool to teach with.

Cheers,
              Rob Weber

Comment

I purchased a set of wooden blocks for Upton's tactics at an estate sale, and later sold them to The Horse Soldier.

It was a very complex set of wooden racks that demonstrated how ranks doubled & undoubled. Because Civil War manuals had men moving in more complicated patterns, I doubt they could be made in such a configuration.

I have often seen chess pieces used for these demonstrations. They work well.
                Robert Carter
                69th NYSV, Co. A
                justrobnj@gmail.com
                www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Working...
                X