Gaiter pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaiter pattern?

I've never handled an original pair, so I really wouldn't know where to begin. Any proper gaiter patterns on the market? I'm not referring to the U.S. issue type like the style reproduced by NJ *****, but rather the style with buttons/buttonholes along the outside of the ankle.

I've seen a few sets in museums over the years & always thought they would be neat to have for the right impression. Any help appreciated.

-Randall Pierson

Re: Gaiter pattern?

There is a pair with notes in "The Confederate Sketchbook" if you can get your hands on an old one around.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

ha! Have one around somewhere. Thanks for the tip!

-Randall Pierson

Comment

What do you have in the works Randy?
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Nothing really. Just rounding out a couple impressions that I've had nearly complete for years. The weather finally started to suck, so now I have an excuse to stay indoors & sew for a bit. Not that I get out anymore to wear the stuff. Lucky for me, hobby projects don't necessitate participation in the actual hobby. I mean, it certainly makes sense that the two go hand in hand, but who's worried about makin' sense? ;)

Good to hear from you.

-Randy Pierson

Comment

I have a pattern for some gaiters and spads that would work. All you would need to do is work out the details for any reinforcements. The steel shanked white glass ball buttons are around which work great on these, as well as sets of flat steel shanked buttons. Drop me a line and I can send you in the right directions.
            Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
            Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
            Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
            X