How to Mark Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Mark Equipment

I am looking for evidence on how to mark a knapsack and other equipment of a member of a US Regulars Infantry unit, specifically someone in the 3rd US Infantry. As I read the ’61 Regs I interpret that the only marking is a 1-1/2” Regimental number on the back of the knapsack.
    Does anyone have any information.
    Thanks for your help.

Jim
    Jim Busby
    Walton Guards
    Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
    Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
    Co C 3rd US Inf
    www.waltonguards.org

Re: How to Mark Equipment

It wasn't just regulars who followed the book. Carlton commanded the California Volunteers and expected them to follow the regulations as well as indicated by this letter.

Headquarters, 1st California Volunteers
    San Francisco, Cal.
    Sept. 7, 1861

To Lieut. Col. Joseph R. West
    Commanding Camp Downey

Colonel:
    Have your companies draw their knapsacks, haversacks and canteens. Have these articles carefully marked and numbered in each company.

} see par 81 & 84.
    Let the suttler supply these on the mess accounts. Have them of a uniform pattern if possible.
    Each Soldier will have a butcher knife and sheath, a good tin bowl, a good tin plate, an iron spoon tinned, a strong iron fork, he will have a good gutta percha comb (say six inches long), a fine tooth comb, a tooth brush, a blacking box and brush, a piece of soap, two towels, two colored cotton pocket handkerchiefs, some needles and linen thread and buttons in a little pouch. these will be packed in the knapsack. The knapsacks are to be packed according to the manner in the army. Have read by each captain to his company Article XIII of the regulations. If you have not the regulations in each company have manuscript copies of that article made and kept in each company.

Hereafter at the Sunday and Wednesday inspections the troops will have their knapsacks (greatcoats and blankets rolled) haversacks and canteens on, the knapsack carefully packed. Every article of clothing must be carefully marked according to regulations. I shall come over to inspect the regiment next wednesday. When I shall desire to see these instructions fulfilled to the letter...
    Here's the regulations

Regulations for the Army of the United States 1857
    ARTICLE XII. REGIMENTS.
    81. Every article, excepting arms and accoutrements, belonging to the regiment, is to be marked with the number and name of the regiment.
    82. Such articles as belong to companies are to be marked with the letter of the company, and number and name of the regiment; and such as belong to men, with their individual numbers, and the letter of the company.
    105. All knapsacks are to be painted black. Those for the artillery will be marked in the centre of the cover with the number of the regiment only, in figures of one inch and a half in length, of the character called full face, with yellow paint. Those for the infantry will be marked in the same way, in white paint. Those for the ordnance will be marked with two cannon, crossing; the cannon to be seven and a half inches in length, in yellow paint, to resemble those on the cap. The knapsack straps will be black.
    106. The knapsacks will also be marked upon the inner side with the letter of the company and the number of the soldier, on such part as may be readily observed at inspections.
    107. Haversacks will be marked upon the flap with the number and name of the regiment, the letter of the company, and number of the soldier, in black letters and figures. And each soldier must, at all times, be provided with a haversack and canteen, and will exhibit them at all inspections. It will be worn on the left side on marches, guard, and when paraded for detached service—the canteen outside the haversack.
    ARTICLE XIII. COMPANIES.
    85.... The captain will cause the men of the company to be numbered, in a regular series, including the non-commissioned officers, and divided into four squads, each to be put under the charge of a non-commissioned officer.
    89... .The name of each soldier will be labeled on his bank, and his company number will be placed against his arms and accoutrements.
    105. All knapsacks are to be painted black. Those for the artillery will be marked in the centre of the cover with the number of the regiment only, in figures of one inch and a half in length, of the character called full face, with yellow paint. Those for the infantry will be marked in the same way, in white paint. Those for the ordnance will be marked with two cannon, crossing; the cannon to be seven and a half inches in length, in yellow paint, to resemble those on the cap. The knapsack straps will be black.
    106. The knapsacks will also be marked upon the inner side with the letter of the company and the number of the soldier, on such part as may be readily observed at inspections.
    107. Haversacks will be marked upon the flap with the number and name of the regiment, the letter of the company, and number of the soldier, in black letters and figures. And each soldier must, at all times, be provided with a haversack and canteen, and will exhibit them at all inspections. It will be worn on the left side on marches, guard, and when paraded for detached service—the canteen outside the haversack.
    Revised regulations for the army of the United States, 1861
    ARTICLE XII. REGIMENTS.
    85. Every article, excepting arms and accoutrements, belonging to the regiment, is to be marked with the number and name of the regiment.
    86. Such articles as belong to companies are to be marked with tho letter of the company, and number and name of the regiment; and such as belong to men, with their individual numbers, and the letter of tho company.
    ARTICLE XIII. COMPANIES.
    90. The captain will cause the men of the company to be numbered, in a regular series, including the non-commissioned officers, and divided into four squads, each to be put under the charge of a non-commissioned officer.
    94. The name of each soldier will be labeled on his bunk, and his com pany number will be placed against his arms and accoutrements.
    110. All knapsacks are to be painted black. Those for the artillery will be marked in the centre of the cover with the number of the regiment only, in figures of one inch and a half in length, of the character called full face, with yellow paint. Those for the infantry will be marked in the same way, in white paint. Those.for the ordnance will be marked with two cannon, crossing; the cannon to be seven and a half inches in length, in yellow paint, to resemble those on the cap. The knapsack straps will be black.
    111. The knapsacks will also be marked upon the inner side with the letter of the company and the number of the soldier, on such nart as may be readily observed at inspections
    112. Haversacks will be marked upon the flap with the number and name of the regiment, the letter of the company, and number of the soldier, in black letters and figures. And each soldier must, at all times, be provided with a haversack and canteen, and will exhibit them at all inspections. It will be worn on the left side on marches, guard, and when paraded for detached service—the canteen outside the haversack.
    You can find the same regulations repeated elswhere
    The military hand-book and soldier's manual of information - 1862
    Camp and outpost duty for infantry - 1862

Gilham also seems to follow the old US regulations on marking Confederate equipment
    Manual of instruction for the volunteers and militia of the Confederate States
    They are also in the Confederate Regulations
    Regulations for the army of the Confederate States, 1864

Now after all that we just need to find extant examples of items marked according to regulation. I also need to find details on the traditional manner of packing knapsacks in the regular US Army. :-)
    Last edited by AZReenactor; 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Jim,

In my travels I have found or seen a good number of original knapsacks. A general search of the internet will find you a good dozen examples. Those I have seen personally I'd say were about equal in whether they had any markings on the outside or left blank with only a name, company and regiment on the onside. Those with markings visible on the outside are about as varied as they come, though just a regimental number does seem predominant, but their are always a few modifications, i.e one with 20th Mass. painted on the pack. The size of the numbers or letters as well as the artistic skill also varies but all are far larger than the 1 1/2 called for in the regulations. I've seen a few packs that took a good bit of time and some skill to do. Obviously a soldier who was very proud of his unit and wanted to brag. Since it is a US regulars impression, I would lean towards keeping your markings as close to regulation as possible, but you're also an individual, an idea that was never quite drilled out of any real soldier.

Just bear this in mind when you mark any of your gear, specially knapsacks, canteens & haversacks. Anyone who has served any length of time in the military, apart from the navy, knows that while regulations are a fine thing, what is done in the field isn't necessarily the same. Regulations are typically written by some stuffed shirt shining a chair with his keester. I'm sure my brothers in arms out there will attest to that. Just like Barbossa is Pirates of the Caribbean, regulations are more like guidelines than actual rules. It's the men in the field that have to adapt and overcome the officers classroom theories and avoid getting stuck with the slow witted jonah privates' funky canteen filled with bees wax & rust with that really foul mouth full of pennies taste.

Just my two cents,

H.M Tommarello
      [SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Garamond"]Mike Tommarello[/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/SIZE]
      [I]"Iron City Mess"[/I]
      9th Pennsylvania Reserves
      Co. A[/FONT]

Comment

Unless you have two knapsacks you may not want to mark yours with your unit number.

If you find yourself in a scenario where you aren't portraying the 3rd US having gear marked for the 3rd will be inappropriate.

If you have two go for it, but if not think about since not having your knapsack marked is also authentic.
        Bob Sandusky
        Co C 125th NYSVI
        Esperance, NY

Comment

Unfortunately that very mind set tends to lead a lot of folks to use generic gear where a more specialized or unit specific item might be required. PEC is fine until you are attempting to depict a specific unit then it can be far from the truth of history. I could leave my gear unmarked so that it would be easier and more convenient to fall in with other units but knowing what I know of the 1st California Infantry and that being my primary impression I would be far from honest if I chose not to mark my gear. If the primary impression is of the 3rd US Infantry than the only thing to do is to dig into that units history before assuming that what is most convenient as a reenactor is also the most authentic manner to depict a member of that unit. The choice between what is PEC for reenactors and what is authentic for a specific unit portrayal may be far from the same and only quality research will determine which is more correct for a specific impression.

Authenticity must be built on quality research into what they did, not mere speculation and the convenience of what we do. When the facts demonstrate otherwise, a generic kit for a specific impression can be just as far-be as a single zuave uniform out of place, animal parts on hats, 14" fresh fish bowie knife, plastic bound straw or hay bales, single occupant common tent, or a myriad of other abuses we could list.

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly then for the 3rd US Infantry in 1861 an unmarked knapsack is correct? Do you know of any examples. My unit is portraying Company C of the Third at Ft Pickens for some LH that they are having this year.

Jim
            Jim Busby
            Walton Guards
            Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
            Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
            Co C 3rd US Inf
            www.waltonguards.org

Comment

Jim:

I'm not saying that an unmarked knapsack in 1861 is correct. Being an RA unit I suspect that everything was up to snuff with the regs. so their packs were probably marked. I don't know one way or the other.

What I am saying is that to be historically accurate if you choose to mark your gear, you can not go to another event to portray someone else other than the 3rd US which was not in every battle of the war and STILL be historically accurate (AZreenactor took my comment out of context to make his point).

You have to make a choice, a compromise if you will, between being accurate some of the time and inaccurate the rest of the time (the dirty little secret no one is willing to say out loud). This is the problem with a specific impression that is too specific on a limited budget.

In most other areas a single piece of equipment is usable for multiple impressions, once you get to unit markings you blow multiplicity out of the water.

So for example I have two forage caps, one is appropriately marked for the 125th NY, my base impression, the other has no markings on it at all (but I have what I need to portray almost any regiment in the AoP if I so choose) allowing me to be historically accurate doing other impressions. I have two belts and cartridge boxes, one set with SNY and one with US. Again allowing me to multiple impressions.

I only have one knapsack. If I were to mark it with the 125th NY markings I could not do the 11th NY (which my unit is designated to do at Manassas, one of two impressions) using that knapsack and still be historically accurate.

So looking at your regiment list you have to ask yourself this question, if I mark my knapsack for the 3rd US, how silly am I going to look if I have to use that same knapsack for doing my 7th VT impression?

If you have multiple knapsacks then go for it, do one specific and do one generic. Or if you can confirm that a blanket roll is ok for your other impressions (and you want to do a blanket roll) then go for.

A "historically accurate" impression is only occasionally correct not always correct.
              Bob Sandusky
              Co C 125th NYSVI
              Esperance, NY

Comment

Jim, the diagram we follow can be found on our website at http://www.buffsticks.us/pdf/markings.pdf

Cheers,
                "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
                Third U.S. Regular Infantry
                http://buffsticks.us

Comment

Darrell,

Thanks. I have seen this. And at present this is what we are using. I was curious if any photos existed actual items.

Jim
                  Jim Busby
                  Walton Guards
                  Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
                  Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
                  Co C 3rd US Inf
                  www.waltonguards.org

Comment

I had not seen this diagram before and have to agree with Jim that it needs more research before being accepted. Even the title seem to acknowledge that it is only "more or less" authentic. It would be much more useful if the authoprs had provided sources and indicated what was based on research and what was speculation.

I too would like to know of any photographs or artifacts that are marked in this manner. I'm particularly curious about their suggestions for marking accoutrements on the front. I cannot recall seeing any cap boxes, scabbard, belts, or box belts marked in this way and its seems counterintuitive to mark a surface that is likly to be blackened fairly regularly.

Comment

Working...
                    X