Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building up a US model '55. Seeking advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building up a US model '55. Seeking advice.

If one does install an original '55 lock in a '61, one may also substitute a Richmond lockplate and have an instant C.S. issue. To make you whimper, my original C.S. plate cost $35 at a local gunshop and the original bronze buttplate $15, as I recall....
    David Fox

Comment

Originally posted by David Fox View Post
      If one does install an original '55 lock in a '61, one may also substitute a Richmond lockplate and have an instant C.S. issue. To make you whimper, my original C.S. plate cost $35 at a local gunshop and the original bronze buttplate $15, as I recall....
      Ah, the good old days, I remember them well..... :)
      Thomas Pare Hern
      Co. A, 4th Virginia
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Whew, glad to see a piece history escaped tampering. That looks like a pretty decent example as it is.
        Nathan Dodds

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
          how about a US 1855 for a US 1855 project, meaning build one from disassociated parts.
          That leads me to ask whether anyone has ever replaced the lock in a Euroarms or Armisport M1855 repro? I have the Euroarms version and have often wondered how hard it would be to fit a real 1855 lock plate into it.
          "the regulars always do well, and seldom get any credit, not belonging to any crowd of voters"

Darrell Cochran
          Third U.S. Regular Infantry
          http://buffsticks.us

Comment

I put a functional 55 repro lock from lodgewood in a Euroarms Richmond years ago. It required a small amount of file work on the flash guard at the rear of the bolster, and some minor inletting for the feeder arm, other than that it was pretty much no problem.
            I think the armi sport is a different story, the bolster on these are not as close to the original size. I saw one a few years ago with an original 55 lock and it just didn't look right.
            Greg Myers

Comment

You have another 61 as well right? As far as cutting the stock, its a Dunlap repro paint it Mossy Oak who cares its a repro. I told you that guy I bought those barrel bands from has a SWEET 55' lock, but he isnt exactly giving it away.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by GPM View Post
                I put a functional 55 repro lock from lodgewood in a Euroarms Richmond years ago. It required a small amount of file work on the flash guard at the rear of the bolster, and some minor inletting for the feeder arm, other than that it was pretty much no problem.
                I think the armi sport is a different story, the bolster on these are not as close to the original size. I saw one a few years ago with an original 55 lock and it just didn't look right.
                No you can't use original parts on the Armi Sport, or even Euroarms repro parts. It is a different animal
                entirely. I am still looking for an Armi Sport US 1855 plate to complete a musket for Johnny Lloyd.
                Taylors & Co (Armi Sport distributor) has sent me a Richmond and an 1842 lock plate so far.

That took 18 months. They are currently ignoring my calls and emails.
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                X