Easy to make Cockades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to make Cockades

This site was found per GOOGLE as a tutorial for making cockades. makes it look easier

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Shawn Stern[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [url]www.wheelingfencibles.com[/url]
    Wheeling Independence Hall Foundation
    PSL

Re: Easy to make Cockades

With only one problem.....I've photographed and handled close to two hundred period cockades, in every size, shape, and color, and not one of them is without a backing of something, usually buckram. She mentions a felt pad, which is definitely not correct. You might find doing it this way is harder than you think, as well. I find it easier to make the pleats, pinning them as I go, in a straight length; then stitching them together, and coiling and stitching to a buckram circle, which is the more typical backing. Keep in mind the knife pleat is only one type of ribbon/fabric cockade as well...many are done in box pleats, or pointed. Here's an example of the buckram backing: This particular one happens to be box pleated.

Colleen Formby
    [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
    [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
    [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

I am attempting to make a couple. I have a few questions:

* What exactly is buckram? Can this be purchased in a regular craft/fabric store?

*Also, what type of attachment devices were used to attach to uniforms? I have made a few safety pin type devices by bending some wire but before attaching to the cockade want to know if this is appropriate.

Thanks,

B
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

Brad, Buckram Is a stiff linen material made for backings and lining elements of garments such as collars. William Booth Draper sells some of the best Buckram available on the market for $30.00 a yard. A yard should grant you more use than you'll ever need. Here is the link to WBD's buckram: http://www.wmboothdraper.com/index.html *click on linen fabric and it's at the top of the page.....
        Hope this helps!

Not sure on the appropriate attachment for the cockade.
        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
        Handsome Company Mess
        Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks Eric... I am familure with Wm Booth as a matter of fact... will check them out. Thanks.
          Brad Ireland
          Old Line Mess
          4th VA CO. A
          SWB

Comment

Use a straight pin to attach the cockcade to your clothing. Glass headed ones are always nice, and easier to hold on to.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
            X