Stock Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Dilemma

I picked up an original stock (off a Providence Tool Co.) for my 61 Springfield a few weeks ago. The problem is there is something blocking the ramrod channel making it so the ramrod cannot stow all the way. Any tips on fixing this?
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: Stock Dilemma

If it is not a piece of metal blocking your rod, you can make a simple tool to scrape it out. Buy yourself a piece of 3/16 iron rod at the hardware store, and file or grind the end of it to resemble a thin screwdriver. You may also hammer it flat, but you must carefully dress the edges so that it is no wider than the rod. You may also bend the other end of the rod like an L to get a better grip on it. Slide your "drill" into the rammer channel, give the rod a few turns, and remove it, shaking the stock upside down to dump out the bits of bark, dead bugs, paper, etc. Repeat until you feel the stop at the end of the rammer channel. Sometimes it is possible to remove the rammer stop - in the slot under the front of the trigger guard - and carefully tapping the rod into the rammer channel - sometimes you can push the trash back into the rammer stop hole and pick it out with a wire or something. Good luck!
    David Stone

Comment

Good advice fahnenschmied, that should work well.
      Thomas Pare Hern
      Co. A, 4th Virginia
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Funny thing about this stock is that it doesnt have a stop like the other muskets I have.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Hi Robert,

I'm brand new to muskets, so take this with a grain of salt. On the P1853 there is a "spoon", essentially a leaf spring, that is inserted into a cutout in the stock under the barrel, and then pinned in place through the stock. This spring bears against the ramrod as it is driven home, providing a friction fit to hold it in place.

If Springfields have something similar, perhaps the spoon has become corroded or otherwise is blocking the ramrod path?

In this picture you can see the spoon to the left of the picture. This is my Enfield.

Steve Sheldon

Comment

Thanks Steve, but this model Springfield does not have a "spoon".
            Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
            X