This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACW Knapsacks

Has anyone ever heard of ACW Kanapsacks? They have a rather large selection of styles, all (according to their website) reprocuced from original examples they have studied and in most cases examined. Just wondering if any of you folks have had experience with their products and customer service. I am looking for a French pack and came upon their site.
    Regards
    Paul Manzo
    Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Re: ACW Knapsacks

Refer to this thread http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...+war+knapsacks
    Lewis M Robinson Jr
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

Paul,
      I have one of their Berdan knapsack reproductions. While it is not perfect, (dimensions are a bit larger and the cow breed the original hide came from are no longer bred) find someone else who produces one. Of the remaining original Tiffany & Co packs, none of the 3 are identical. I believe this to be the case w/the french knapsack also.
      Also many variations exist in period knapsacks. I don't think you'll find any 2 originals that are identical.
      ACW Knapsack chest straps are removable and there is goodness in them. But if you don't like it or feel it isn't period for xyz pack, simply don't use it. Chests straps were part of US Mex war knapsacks aka. the Kibbler knapsack whick is a CS, state or locally made copy of the Mex war pack.

Some of the approved vendors use latex based paint instead of oil (linseed) based. So the material isn't right from the start. I guess what I'm saying is what can you live with that that isn't right with currently available products. All of them have faults. if it was perfect there are unscrupulous individuals who would try to pass it off as an original.

PS I know several authentic vendors who aren't on the approved vendor list simply because they don't feel its right to pay the $100 approved vendor fee. There products speak for themselves!
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Here's the first page of the thread which Mr. Robinson posted above : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...t=acwknapsacks I found the same thread by using different search terms. I also found some offline discussion by mod's about the very same question posted there as here. As that thread was closed, so too shall this thread.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
        X