how do you make swoosh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you make swoosh?

I remember shelby foote talking about swoosh.it went some thing like this, you cook your salt pork in a skillet over a fire, once that is done you remove the pork, you add corn meal and maybe some water and cook the left over fat and any else in the pan and corn meal for some time then you form this mixture over your bayonet or ramrod and then cook over the fire until done. Please let me know if this is right , and how long you cook each step.

Bill Shackell
    cpl grays and blues of montreal

Re: how do you make swoosh?

First, buy good quality stone ground cornmeal. You get the cheaper general supermarket stuff and it does not good as easy. That modern meal takes a higher temp to soften and cook. I wasted a lot of cornmeal and had lots of frustration trying to eat crunchy, raw, hard meal until I figured this out. There is not really a time that can be put on each step. It all depends on how hot the fire is, what kind of item you are using to cook in, ect. Your best bet is to experiment until you get results you like.

I like to cook up my bacon while boiling some water. I add cornmeal to the hot water until it is a paste like dough. Once the bacon is done I pull it from the pan. I make patties with the cornmeal dough and fry them in the grease. Make sure the grease is hot or the meal will just absorb the grease instead of fry in it. Cook until brown and crispy on the outside.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Its basically fried polenta. You make cornmeal mush, then fry it.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by bill shack View Post
        I remember shelby foote talking about swoosh.it went some thing like this, you cook your salt pork in a skillet over a fire, once that is done you remove the pork, you add corn meal and maybe some water and cook the left over fat and any else in the pan and corn meal for some time then you form this mixture over your bayonet or ramrod and then cook over the fire until done. Please let me know if this is right , and how long you cook each step.

Bill Shackell
        cpl grays and blues of montreal
        Nike=Swoosh

Try "Sloosh" instead...

But I've had my share of cornmeal and ash, that isn't for me, I'm a more oysters and champagne on the Potomac living historian these days.
        Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 03-30-2011, 08:05 AM.
        Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

From Bell Wiley's Life of Johnny Reb :

Shortage of utensils and ingredients combined to produce some astonishing dishes. The most frequently mentioned was a concoction known as cush - dubbed "slosh" by one of its less admiring partakers. This dish was born of the greater convenience of cooking small portions of meat together instead of separately ; but let a soldier give the recipe : "We take some bacon & fry the grease out, then we cut some cold beef in small pieces & put it in the grease, then pour in water and stew it like hash. Then we crumble corn bread or biscuit in it [some soldiers made mush or past of flour or meal and added one or both of these at this point instead of crumbs] and stew it again till all the water is [page 105] out then we have ... real Confederate cush." He added that he and his comrades on Missionary Ridge considered the preparation to be quite a luxury.
          Pages 104-05. Link : http://books.google.com/books?id=YrG...page&q&f=false
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

There is a bit of trial and error in making it. When you render the grease in your pan, make sure there is enough grease in the pan. I usually like to have enough to almost cover the batter mixture. I mix the cornmeal with some water and the consistency is important as well. I suggets a mixture a bit thicker than pancake batter. I just drop a large spoonful into the hot grease. Be sure to flip it before it burns.

Jim Butler
            Jim Butler

Comment

An excellent source for the 'right' corn meal--Nora Mills

http://www.noramill.com/store/index....ee2e0e7e710390
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

See also: http://www.civilwarnews.com/watchdog/wd_041101.html

This month's column is on period correct corn pone/jonny cake and has a receipt (recipe) for cush.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                  See also: http://www.civilwarnews.com/watchdog/wd_041101.html

“The food we get on the road is sufficient, and good enough to sustain life; it consists of pork or bacon and bread made from Indian corn.” Lt. Col. Arthur Fremantle, Coldwater Guards
                  Coldwater Guards, eh?
                  Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                  – George Washington , 1789

Comment

What you never heard of the Coldwater Guards!?
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                    X