Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray/Green Jean Cloth

Hello all,

That's right, I'm back with another question! I have been looking around and have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Gray/Green Jean Cloth Trousers for a great price. They look like they're in great shape, but my question is; what are some examples of where this type of fabric was worn? Was it very common for Confederate troops to wear this odd green/gray jean material? Is this something that I could use for a generic impression, or is it more for a specific unit? Is this colored jean cloth more prominent in the Eastern or Western theater, early or late war? Basically, I'm completely at a loss as to the background on this material. Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,
    Tony Manson
    Respectfully Submitted,
    Tony Manson
    33rd VA, Co. E
    4th VA, Co. A
    SWB

Re: Gray/Green Jean Cloth

Ive seen too many colors to mention in Confederate garments. The Depots used what the mills delivered to them. I'd say that it's safe to assume that out of the millions of sets of trousers issued that there were some with a grey green appearance. I've actually read some accounts of soldiers who stated that their uniforms had somewhat of a greenish look to them. At any rate one thing I've learned through countless hours of research is that there are no set standards in regards to confederate garments. While there are standard patterns with minor variation in depot issue garments there is a very large variety in fabric colors. I'd say you would be good wearing them but I'd talk it over with your unit first to be safe. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

To add to Eric's post:
      The gray/green color of both your reproduction trousers, as well as original trousers, may not be the color of the cloth when manufactured. Dyes of the period oxidized to different colors. For example, the logwood dyed jean offered by County Cloth some years ago started as a charcoal gray color, but fades to a near olive green.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I have a forage cap that's grey and turns green when it's wet. Kind of a mood hat. "When it's green, I'm wet, thus, unhappy." When it's dry it is slowly fading to lighter grey. Must have been that dye lot.
        [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
        [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
        Independent Volunteers
        [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Charlie made a run of Blue/Grey Kersey back in the early 90's. A lot of the guys in the 2nd Maryland bought type III jackets and trousers made out of it. The fabric was spot on to the original imported English army cloth when produced. Over time though that fabric has turned almost emerald green in a few of my buddies jackets and stuff. They present a unique appearance for sure and this is the best example I can think of in regards to fabric changing color over time.
          Handsome Company Mess

Comment

Excellent guys, I've decidied to get the pants since it sounds like it'll work. My unit said they sound good and that they think that North Carolina had some issued uniforms in this odd gray/green jean cloth. So it could certainly be used for an ANV impression.
            Respectfully Submitted,
            Tony Manson
            33rd VA, Co. E
            4th VA, Co. A
            SWB

Comment

In Don Troiani print, Band of Brothers, depicting the Marylander's charge at Culps Hill, Gettysburg, the Marylanders are wearing what appears to be green/gray uniforms. I believe they had been issued Irish military uniforms and that would explain the variation in color.

Brent Conner
              Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Tait uniforms? I suppose.
                Handsome Company Mess

Comment

I tracked down the information on the run of cloth. They are a pair of Wambaugh and White pants, made from Ben Tart Jean. I called Ben up and he told me that it is a run he did called "patina" and that it resembles what a darker pair of pants would look like after a few months of wearing them on campaign. Here'sa picture of the pants. Pretty nice material and unique I thought.
                  Attached Files
                  Respectfully Submitted,
                  Tony Manson
                  33rd VA, Co. E
                  4th VA, Co. A
                  SWB

Comment

If Ben produced the fabric and Wambaugh and White made the trousers it don't get no better than that! That's really nice fabric and I'm familiar with it. My favorite Ben Tart fabric is his Sumac Jean. Makes a great Richmond depot jacket.
                    Handsome Company Mess

Comment

Here are two pictures of the Mcrae Jacket that is in the NC museum of history. It is a gray green. Talking with Ben Tart while viewing the garment, he thinks it was originally blue gray. Some kind of logwood mordanted with chrome. Another interesting feature about this jacket is that it seems to have a very high cotton content. Definitely still has wool fibers but the majority of it is cotton.

Enjoy
                      Attached Files
                      Wade Rogers

Comment

Ya I got a heckuva deal on em too so I'm very excited about getting them. I have a pair of Ben's trousers that are the sumac jean and they are great too! Very good quality and the color looks similar to some of the original Richmond Depots that I've seen.

*Wade, great example from that jacket. It's interesting how these dyes fade and vary so much.
                        Last edited by marylandmarine; 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM.
                        Respectfully Submitted,
                        Tony Manson
                        33rd VA, Co. E
                        4th VA, Co. A
                        SWB

Comment

Working...
                        X