No announcement yet.

How to clean a semi rusty tin canteen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean a semi rusty tin canteen?

I hope this is the right place to ask.
    Regards,
    Jeffrey Cohen
    Jeffrey Cohen

Re: How to clean a semi rusty tin canteen?

Inside rust..............hot water and a stiff bottle brush. Dry thoroughly and seal with beeswax. Thus hindering the rusting process.

Outside rust................steel wool, brass bristled brush, steel bristled brush.

This is all I have to offer on the subject of rust.
    Scott House

Comment

Someone with experience using it may chime in here...but i've heard that molasses works well. I've been told to use different mixtures (1 to 4 and 1 to 7) depending on the severity. I would think that if this works you may want to treat the inside. If you are not crazy about beeswax, try mineral oil. You can put a little mineral oil inside the canteen after use and shake it up really well...then pour the excess out. Wash the canteen out well before using again or else you'll be visiting the woods quite often throughout the event.
      Anyone out there ever tried using molasses on a canteen? It works pretty well on gun barrells.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Discard it and buy a good hot dipped canteen and take good care of it.
        If the tin plating is gone on the inside it is very hard to keep the oxidation process under controll. Beeswax might help or some food ok laquer but I doubt it will satisfy you.
        I use my hot dipped canteen since 2002. It has little rist spots at the seam now but now rust water yet.
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

delete. off topic. my bad.
          Last edited by FloridaConscript; 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

George McGillis makes pretty good hot dipepd tin canteens. Some others make hot dipped drum canteens too. George makes moothsides and drum canteens.
            Even though they are pricier than the normal ones they are more authentic and last longer
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Moderator Note: Guys Mr. Cohen is asking for help with cleaning a tin canteen, not getting a new one. So please stick to the topic. Thanks, Herb Coats
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Cohen View Post
                I hope this is the right place to ask.
                Regards,
                Jeffrey Cohen
                Add water and baking soda to your canteen, and swish it around real good. Rinse canteen out with water, then allow to dry. Repeat.....
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                Cincinnati

Comment

I've found that "Naval Jelly" (read and heed precautions on NJ bottle, it is an acid) works really well to rid the rust without using an abrasive. Put enough in to coat the entire inside of the canteen and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Repeat as needed. neutralize and rinse w/baking soda solution and rinse some more to rid the BS afterwards. Dry thoroughly in oven on low, then coat w/beeswax immediately afterwards. I like to drop a quarter of a beeswax candle in there let it melt in oven roll it around to coat the entire interior then dump out while hot. Then put in the freezer to set the BW quickly.
                  Last edited by Prodical Reb; 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM. Reason: saftey statement added
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                  Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                  Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                  Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                  The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I've found it useful to pour some fine gravel, like the kind you put in a fishtank, into the canteen and shake it around a bit. That will loosen up rust accumulation inside the canteen. Several applications of fresh gravel may be required. Then use one of the various methods described above to finish the job.

Andy Redd

P.S. I've tried the beeswax route and found that the beeswax often breaks off after a while and you can easily swallow a chunk. Or, you can be one with the rust. A little bit of the stuff won't hurt you if you can get used to the taste.
                    Last edited by reddcorp; 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM. Reason: add opinion
                    Andy Redd

Comment

Personally, I would be very cautious of using Naval Jelly as it is very caustic and may leave residue that normal rinsing may not totally flush out.

While I haven’t used it on canteens, I have used common white Vinegar to remove rust on musket parts and even bores with success. Fill it up and let it sit for a day or two. While it may take an application or two, I wouldn’t be concerned to drink after using it as it is non-toxic. Used in conjunction with the fish tank gravel as Andy posted above may speed the process if your canteen is severely rusted.
                      Bryan Beard
                      Virginian

Comment

I have used diluted molasses many times to clean everything from rusty bayonets to musket bores. I like a 7:1 water/molasses solution as it is slow but effective and allows you to pour it out periodically to check progress. Depending on how rusty it is, it may take a few hours or a few days. It really does work well, you'll be surprised. The good thing is its safe to use, unlike other harsh chemicals. When you are done, wash it out with hot water and seal with beeswax.
                        Steve Blancard
                        Corporal
                        13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Has anyone tried using brewers pitch instead of beeswax to seal it after cleaning?

Warren Dickinson
                          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                          Former Mudsill
                          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I'll second the molasses option. It takes a couple weeks but works great. I derusted almost my entire 1942 Harley-Davidson WLA (everything but the frame) in big garbage cans full of molasses and water.

I'm anti beeswax. I still have my first repro federal canteen from 1981 and it has never rusted and never been beeswaxed. I make sure it is empty and roll up a papertowel to wick out any moisture while it hangs upside down in the closet.
                            David H. Thomas
                            Starr's NC Battery
                            Fayetteville, NC

Comment

OK, molasses can be a vague term, depending on where in the country you are. Are y'all talking about black strap sorghum molasses? I would still have my original canteen from'81 as well David, but I got absent minded once, and let it rust after an event. I've never found another decent one since, they're all cheap electro-plate, etc.

Warren
                              Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                              Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                              Former Mudsill
                              Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Working...
                              X