Musket Front Sight Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musket Front Sight Repair

Is there a reputable vendor out there who can replace the front sight on a musket (Enfield)? Last person who did this put the wrong sight on, and put it on crooked. I shoot live sometimes, so want someone who will do a good job. Thanks.

Paul Arentz
    Co. K, 100th PA Vols.

Mr. Arentz, please sign your full name to your posts as you agreed to do when you became a member of this forum. Here's a link to the rules : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...w_faq_item1998 - Silas Tackitt, a moderator
    Last edited by pfarentz; 05-07-2011, 11:58 PM. Reason: signature violation
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/j5w1lj.jpg[/IMG]

Paul Arentz
    Co. K, 100th PA Vols.

Re: Musket Front Sight Repair

Todd Watts at Blockade Runner. He reattached the from sight on my Miroku 61 Springfield. The turn around was very fast, good service and did a great job. Don't waste your time with a local shop for something like this. Just contact hime and ship the barrel and bayonet to him.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Must be comman for the Miroku 61 to drop the front sight. Mine fell off about ten years ago. I was lucky to recover it though. Lodgewood reattached it for me. At that time they guaranteed it would never come off again. Its still on there. I also live fire the weapon and it is right on the mark!

George Taggart
      George Taggart

Comment

Did the original OP ever get his sight re-attached. I could solder it on for you, to use in live fire also.

Rebel Dave
        Dave Christensen
        Rebel Dave
        14th Miss (NSSA)
        66th NC (ACWSA)

Comment

The repro-makers have for years simply soft-soldered sights on which if fine for just shooting and for looks, but bayonets tend to pop them off. Originals were either dovetailed and lead-soldered or more usually brazed or high-temp slver-soldered on. I choose the latter method. It makes a mess so the run-off has to be filed and polished off then the barrel reblued if an Enfield. They do not pop off. To knock these off you really have to hit them hard. They survived bayonet-use back then so you can imagine just how tight this method must be.

Comment

Todd
            I agree. I should have said silver solder. Thats how i install all my sights, and bayonette lugs. It is the strongest way to do it. When soldering on front sights they have to be installed corectly, left, and right for center of target, after sqauring with the rear sight. Rough up the bbl, the bottom of the sights, and use good flux,and proper heat.
            You are right, silver soldering is messier, and not as forgiving as soft solder, and the clean up of sqeezed out solder is much harder to remove, and repolish. I also make sure the bayonette will fit the lug, I make it fit , before I solder it on. I build guns for target shooting mainly, but I make them correct as the model dictates. My Fayetteville Rifle looks cool with the bayonette installed.

Rebel Dave
            Last edited by Rebel Dave; 05-28-2011, 10:08 AM.
            Dave Christensen
            Rebel Dave
            14th Miss (NSSA)
            66th NC (ACWSA)

Comment

Working...
            X