X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on hats.

Hi All, fresh fish here.

I am trying to get my gear together for N-SSA shooting, as well as reenacting. I'd like to make as generic a Confederate impression as possible so as not to limit my participation possibilities in reenactments. Our N-SSA group, the 4th LA, has no stringent requirements. Apparently in the old days they did, but no longer.

I did a search on "hats", but of course the results are stupendous.

What is the difference between a kepi and a bummer's hat? Who would wear either? Our would some other kind of hat be better? They say other styles of hat are better for keeping the sun off of you.

What do you recommend?
    Steve Sheldon

Re: Question on hats.

Get a good slouch hat. It is the most generic and you can use it for MOST impressions CS and even some impressions US. Take a look at Tim Bender's website for examples: http://www.benderhats.com/hats1.html
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Comment

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the link. I went there, but did not see any hats labeled as "slouch" hats. Could you recommend a particular style?

Thanks,
      Steve
      Steve Sheldon

Comment

I love my Bell Crown slouch hat from Tim. Also, another common style is the Medium Crown Bowler slouch.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Been doing some Googling on Slouch Hats and have found this:

So many styles to choose from. Sorry I'm ignorant on all of this.
          Steve Sheldon

Comment

You won;t find any better to do business with then Bender Hats. Call Tim and ask him to recommend a style.
            Galen Wagner
            Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Just from one man's perspective, I find it better to try on a hat or twenty to see what suits me. Never had much luck ordering online. A good brimmed hat will serve you well for most any event and keeps the sun off better than a kepi or forage cap. I have a Dirty Billy beehive farmer, but it's a personal preference. Maybe a bowler suits you. A man's hat, particularly if CSA, is a reflection of his personality. And spend a few bucks and get a good one. A properly constructed hat should last a considerable time. You won't go wrong with either Bender or Dirty Billy.

A. W. Redd
              Andy Redd

Comment

Sorry I was not specific enough. All hats with a wide brim were considered "Slouch Hats"
                Brad Ireland
                Old Line Mess
                4th VA CO. A
                SWB

Comment

My suggestion would be to find a good period image (photo) with a look that you want to emulate, then select a hat that comes the closest to that look from one of the fine vendors listed above. You simply can't go wrong using the real-deal as a guide rather than asking for the opinions of modern reenactors. (No offense intended to the previous posters, of course!)

Don't scimp on your headgear...that is one of the items that can make or break an otherwise good impression.

Paul McKee
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Again, you're getting great advice here on Bender, etc. Even Dirty Billy has some nice hats too. I have one of Bender's bell crown hats that I am very fond of. However, in one of your earlier posts you suggested that you were under a time crunch - call these vendors (Bender especially) and see what they have in stock in your size. If nothing, then put a WTB feeler out here on the AC someone might have what you're looking for.

-Sam Dolan
                    Samuel K. Dolan
                    1st Texas Infantry
                    SUVCW

Comment

Hallo!

"What is the difference between a kepi and a bummer's hat? Who would wear either?"

Terms and terminology. History and reenactorisms...

In brief and to over generalize...

For 1858 the Army came out with a modification of the old shako-like 1851 cap. Althoug natty an dmiitary in appearance, the stiff cap did make for a very useful fatigue cap becasue it was easy to blow off or get knocked off during any kind of physical activity. The so-called Model 1858 forage cap wa sliked by some, hated by others.
                      Reenactors often refer to the two general types of fatigue or forage cap uisng the typology of "Type 1" or "Type 2" with NUG the Type 1 having a small crown and a slantinf, cresent shaped bill or visor. The Type 2 has a larger crown disk and a flat rectangular shaped bill (variations and exceptions so noted).
                      Kepis were similar, but had shorter height, recessed crowns, and were stiffer and less "feed bag" sloppy than the forage/fatigue cap. They were often more stylish, and better suited to private purchase or officer wear. The Army would eventually go over to kepi's after the CW.

How a forage cap looked and sat on one's head was a matter of what size one got, what size one could trade for, and the size and shape of one's head. Smaller caps on larger heads look odd, larger caps on smaller heads often had the crown fall down forward enough to touch or rest on the bill/visor.
                      There is much Reenactor and Skirmisher lore associated with "bummer caps" part of which goes back to references to "Sherman's Bummers" and the other larger part going to describe a forage cap with a tall, floppy crown that falls down on the bill.

Dress hats and forage caps were NUG items of issue, and some commands were stricter or more lax on head gear leaving the door open or closed to men obtaining their own civilian style hats or if they had the access and money, could buy their own private purchase hats or caps. (Plus some units had distinctive headgear such as the kepi's worn by the 2n dMAryland, etc., etc.,)

Again, being very brief for a beginner who may struggle with a board such as this which is not geared toward or with the beginner in mind.

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I went with Bender and ordered one of his "Flat Top Bowlers" - Tim's personal favorite! :) He says they are underrepresented on the field even though they are very common to the era.

I told him I heard about him through the Authentic Campaigner!

Steve
                        Steve Sheldon

Comment

You have chosen wisely.

-Sam Dolan
                          Samuel K. Dolan
                          1st Texas Infantry
                          SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                          X