This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Duval Accouterment set to get?

I'm trying to gather my gear for N-SSA shooting, and reenacting also.

Based on advice here, I'm considering one of the Duval Accouterment Sets:

A couple of questions:

1) For a "generic" Confederate impression, designed to maximize my participation possibilities in reenacting, which would be better?

2) Is the "Cartridge Box Belt" actually a sling that goes over your shoulder and the cartridge box hangs from it, trapped to the hip by the waist belt? Does the cap pouch attach to the sling or the waist belt? Or do the cartridge and cap boxes hang from the waist belt?

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Re: Which Duval Accouterment set to get?

Okay i'll bite:
    1. I would think either of these would be okay for a "generic" impression. Depending on which type of event you are attending...but the ones that are discussed and advertised on here will have different regulations/requirements for the particular unit that is being portrayed. That being said, the two sets you posted above seem to be within the relms of what most confederate regulations will require. Yes, there will be some events with a specialty impression that requires a particular arsenal and look...however, most of the time confederates are safe with generic black accoutrements. So, I think it's more of a personal choice between those two of whether or not you want the roller buckle or forked tounge belt.

2. Yes, the cartridge box belt goes over the shoulder and is secured with the waist belt over top of it. I would recommend that you spend some time looking at the online photographic collection from the library of congress (it is now available on Flicker). You will find a great deal of Federal soliders pictured in all of their gear. Although you are looking at a confederate impression, the pictures will surely help you with an understanding of how your military gear should be worn. You will find a few confederate images on there but be advised that some are prop pics...for instance, not all confederate soldiers had a navy colt shoved in their waist belt.

What you are going to find out is that you are much better off to do as much research as possible before asking the question. What I mean by that....if you look at original period images then your questions can become much more distinct. I'm not sure that you can safetly say that there is a "generic" one size-fits all confederate impression...however, there are some items that are going to work for almost any theater almost any year. You will find out that most of the folks on this forum are striving to look/act/breath/live as much as possible as the specific folks they are portraying at the time. Since you are not looking at a specific unit but are wanting to create an impression that will be the most versitile, I would again recommend looking at period images and determine what items stand out to you as reoccuring. You will see that they drastically change from '61 through '65...however, the old saying "some things will never change" applies as well with some items.

This may not be the answer you were looking for but hopefully you will find it helpful in some way.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

You cannot go wrong with Duval, but I agree with Luke as to research. My own two cents too is that I personally think you will be more comfortable wearing your cartridge box on the sling rather than on the belt - particularly considering your "generic" impression intentions. Some folks like to wear the box on the belt and indeed many soldiers did. However, I think you will be happier with the sling. I also agree with the universal black leather suggestions that Luke makes too.

But again, research, research....

-Sam Dolan
      Samuel K. Dolan
      1st Texas Infantry
      SUVCW

Comment

"Which Duval Accoutrement Set To Get?"

All of them...:)
        Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

As a 15+ year veteran of doing medieval reenacting, I can certainly appreciate the need to do research.

However, my our next skirmish is June 3-5 and so I need to get something ordered this week. I had to borrow equipment for the last skirmish and I don't like being a freeloader so I want my own gear for the next skirmish. This is probably going to rule out Duvall and other custom makers as they take much longer than that to produce their high-quality items.

Steve
          Steve Sheldon

Comment

Originally posted by maillemaker View Post
            As a 15+ year veteran of doing medieval reenacting, I can certainly appreciate the need to do research.

However, my our next skirmish is June 3-5 and so I need to get something ordered this week. I had to borrow equipment for the last skirmish and I don't like being a freeloader so I want my own gear for the next skirmish. This is probably going to rule out Duvall and other custom makers as they take much longer than that to produce their high-quality items.

Steve

He may have some items in stock. I would suggest you call and see what he has ready to deliver. Better have some of your gear top quality than buy junk somewhere else and want to upgrade later.

If he has a fed box or cap pouch in stock you may want to go with these items for both impressions. Just make sure the box is one of the early ones so it will be good for entire war.
            Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Option B: list some things you want on the WTB Thread. If you feel you do not have time for Duvall or Missouri Boot and Shoe or someone, I would urge you not to turn to a vendor who would provide quick service over quality, you will only spend more money in the end.

-Sam Dolan
              Samuel K. Dolan
              1st Texas Infantry
              SUVCW

Comment

Another option would be to buy the rest of the kit from S&S Firearms, and borrow the leather goods for the skirmish until Duvall can make them.

Do you guys have any opinions of the leather goods from S&S Firearms? They have a "standard grade" and a hi-grade .58 cal cartridge box, and cap boxes.
                Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

There is an old saying about you can have things, right or fast, choose one.

If you choose to ignore the advice or answers to your questions, you may find yourself bucking both the AC Culture here as well as some of the lads.

As shared, if time is of the essence, you can still fudge a bit by:

1. contacting the makers/vendors to see what is available, in inventory or stock, that is in your size or color choice, etc,

2. going to the WTB folder and saying you ar elooking for..., or even the WTS, to see what you can find new or used

(Friendly Advice and Moderator Advice at the same time- if you are going to ask serious questions and get sage answers, and then throw that away because you would rather buy so-called Farb or Farby sub-standard and inferior crapola because you can or want it quick- you are likely going to run into "trouble" on the AC Forum. Of course it is your right to pursue any Mental Picture, and spend your money any way you want or need. But, you may find that there are other boards better and more suited to the newcomer and designed with the beginner in mind that may work better for where you are at now. NOT being critical, negative, or snarky. Just trying to steer you straight, and keep you off thin ice.)

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

(Friendly Advice and Moderator Advice at the same time- if you are going to ask serious questions and get sage answers, and then throw that away because you would rather buy so-called Farb or Farby sub-standard and inferior crapola because you can or want it quick- you are likely going to run into "trouble" on the AC Forum. Of course it is your right to pursue any Mental Picture, and spend your money any way you want or need. But, you may find that there are other boards better and more suited to the newcomer and designed with the beginner in mind that may work better for where you are at now. NOT being critical, negative, or snarky. Just trying to steer you straight, and keep you off thin ice.)
                    It was not my intent to buy "farb or farby or sub-standard inferior crapola.", and I hope I didn't imply otherwise. It just needs to be in stock for delivery by June 3rd and the vendor needs to accept credit cards, as until I get my other Enfield sold I don't have cash to buy the gear.

I have sent Duvall an email to see what they have in stock. I would rather pay a little more for the best stuff than buy stuff twice, if possible.

Steve

Solution found and thread is closed! Great advice from good guys. Also, the search function is a great tool to use. ~Herb Coats, Moderator
                    Last edited by Coatsy; 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM.
                    Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
                    X